[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 638x479, images (26).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14608852 No.14608852 [Reply] [Original]

>whoever opposes love is hateful to the gods, but if we become friends to the god and cease to quarrel with him, then we shall find the young men that are meant for us and win their love, as very few men do nowadays
Kinda fuckin gay desu lads

>> No.14608916

>>14608852
based

>> No.14609061

Probably means men interchangeably in the infinitive tense referring to people in general, it sounds like he's saying young big tiddy chicks but that it's a bad translation

>> No.14609087

>>14609061
If I remember correctly, this is the medic talking
So no, he's talking about older man tutoring young men in love. As in, teacher fucking their twink students

>> No.14609098

>>14609061
cope

>> No.14609129

>>14609061
this is your brain on english first language

>> No.14609171

>>14609087
“Well, I’ll tell you more clearly,” she said. “All of us are pregnant, Socrates, both in body and in soul, and, as soon as we come to a certain age, we naturally desire to give birth. Now no one can possibly give birth in anything ugly; only in something beautiful. That’s because when a man and a woman come together in order to give birth, this is a godly affair. Pregnancy, reproduction—this is an immortal thing for a mortal animal to do, and it cannot occur in anything that is out of harmony, but ugliness d is out of harmony with all that is godly. Beauty, however, is in harmony with the divine. Therefore the goddess who presides at childbirth—she’s called Moira or Eilithuia—is really Beauty. That’s why, whenever pregnant animals or persons draw near to beauty, they become gentle and joyfully disposed and give birth and reproduce; but near ugliness they are foul faced and draw back in pain; they turn away and shrink back and do not reproduce, and because they hold on to what they carry inside them, the labor is painful. This is the source of the great excitement about beauty that comes to anyone who is pregnant and already teeming with life:e beauty releases them from their great pain. You see, Socrates,” she said, “what Love wants is not beauty, as you think it is.” “Well, what is it, then?” “Reproduction and birth in beauty.” “Maybe,” I said. “Certainly,” she said. “Now, why reproduction? It’s because reproduction goes on forever; it is what mortals have in place of immortality. A lover must desire immortality along with the good, if what we agreed earlier was right, that Love wants to possess the good forever. It follows from our argument that Love must desire immortality.”

>> No.14609173

Stop it you guys, the Greeks weren't really gay, that's just a myth. A Greek myth

>> No.14609197
File: 644 KB, 1533x1077, plato homophobia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only Diotima's speech is infallible. All the other speeches are intentionally flawed. That's why there are multiple speakers, they're not all Plato's view.

>> No.14609221
File: 13 KB, 289x114, no.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14609197
ATHENIAN: That’s not surprising. Well, I’ll try to put the point more explicitly. When I came to discuss education, I envisaged young men and women associating with each other on friendly terms. Naturally enough, I began to feel some disquiet. I wondered how one would handle a state like this, with everyone engaged on a life-long round of sacrifices and festivals and chorus-performances, and the young men and women well-nourished and free of those demanding and degrading jobs that damp down lust so effectively. Reason, which is embodied in law as far as it can be, tells us to avoid indulging the passions that have ruined so many people. So how will the members of our state avoid them? (Actually, most desires may well be kept in check by the regulations we have already framed. If so, we needn’t be surprised. After all, the law against excessive wealth will do a great deal to encourage self-control, and the educational curriculum is full of sound rules designed for the same purpose. The officials too, who have been rigorously trained to watch this point closely, and to keep the young people them selves under constant surveillance, will do something to restrain ordinary passions, as far as any man can.) But there are sexual urges too—of boys and girls and heterosexual love among adults. What precautions should one take against passions which have had a such a powerful effect on public and private life?What’s the remedy that will save us from the dangers of sex in each? It’s a great problem, Clinias. We’re faced with the fact that though in several other respects Crete in general and Sparta give us pretty solid help when we frame laws that flout common custom, in affairs of the heart (there’s no one listening, so let’s be frank) they are totally opposed to us. Suppose you follow nature’s rule and establish the law that was in force before the time of Laius. You’d argue that one may have sexual intercourse with a woman but not with men or boys. As evidence for your view, you’d point to the animal world, where (you’d argue) the males do not have sexual relations with each other, because such a thing is unnatural. But in Crete and Sparta your argument would not go down at all well, and you’d probably persuade nobody.

>> No.14609238
File: 38 KB, 800x450, 018eaa147a59f7c692a00db9db007adf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14609173
>socrates refusing all sexual advances from males in the dialogues was merely shyness

>> No.14609375

>>14609238

Socrates had a wife and kids you half a wit. Why would the guy want to get poopdick from dudes

>> No.14609781

>>14609375
It's not about the refusal of Socrates, but about the others trying to hit on him.

>> No.14611034

>>14609781
What does that have to do with shyness?
He was married and didn't want to fuck outside of it, not that absurc

>> No.14611058

>>14609375
>>14611034
This the first of days for ye?