[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 59 KB, 1000x1527, Page_004_%28Faust%2C_1925%29.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1459074 No.1459074 [Reply] [Original]

Ok, I haven't been back her in almost a year, so hopefully /lit/ hasn't gotten too bad. . .

I've decided that I finally want to get and read Goethe's Faust. My question is, what translation should I go for, and if relevant, what publisher/edition/etc?

Yes, I know reading it in German would be superior, but I don't know German (yet).

>> No.1459088

I liked Walter Kaufmann's verse translation, it's bilingual so you can look at the German on the other side of the page

>> No.1459108

I know of the story Faust, but never really looked at it. Two questions:

1) Its written in play format, right?

2) If so, is there any version that takes that format and puts it in novel format?

>> No.1459133

>>1459088
Hmm. . . he sounds like a pretty good translator, and bilingual is always nice. I do plan to learn German someday.
Though it looks like he only translated part of part two. I know it's not nearly as popular or important as part one, but I would like to read it, and I'm having a tough time finding any translation of it.

>>1459108
There's many versions/interpretations of the Faust legend, the two most well-known being Goethe's and Marlowe's, which are both plays. I'm sure there's a novel version of the story somewhere.