[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 200x307, 200px-Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14585360 No.14585360 [Reply] [Original]

>“I suspect that beneath your offensively and vulgarly effeminate façade there may be a soul of sorts. Have you read widely in Boethius?"
>"Who? Oh, heavens no. I never even read newspapers."
>"Then you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age," Ignatius said solemnly. "Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians, too. For the contemporary period, you should study some selected comic books."
>"You're fantastic."
>"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Is /lit/ just a cheap carbon copy of Ignatius?

>> No.14585367

>>14585360
No, because we start with the Greeks, not with the Womans.

>> No.14585487

>“It smells terrible in here.'

>Well, what do you expect? The human body, when confined, produces certain odors which we tend to forget in this age of deodorants and other perversions. Actually, I find the atmosphere of this room rather comforting. Schiller needed the scent of apples rotting in his desk in order to write. I, too, have my needs. You may remember that Mark Twain preferred to lie supinely in bed while composing those rather dated and boring efforts which contemporary scholars try to prove meaningful. Veneration of Mark Twain is one of the roots of our current intellectual stalemate.”

PREACH

>> No.14585672

I don't think anyone else has had such an intimate knowledge of traditional Catholics necessary to lampoon them so effectively. I haven't looked into Toole's private life at all but if he wasn't a devout Catholic I would be extremely surprised.

>> No.14585727

>>14585672
he was catholic enough for his time, he probably studied them in college and kept a record of the most bizarre ones.

>> No.14586508

/lit/ isn't as well read

>> No.14586668

>>14585360
is A CoD a worthwhile whopper or another time-wasting meme?

>> No.14586680

>muh valve

>> No.14586735

>>14586668
it's wonderful and an extremely easy read

>> No.14586873

>>14586668
it's pure gold
The MC is as hateable as relatable, no one is that bad but everyone has an inner voice that tells them to be 1% of him. It has an interesting take on the 70's that you won't see in other media, but the bubble around Ignatius is constantly suffering him and adapting into something that isn't real.

It also has really funny lines.

>> No.14587014

>>14585360
Essentially, yes. It's a pale imitation to the madman Kennedy created, but it suffices.

>> No.14587124

My God

>> No.14587386

>I do admire the terror which Negroes are able to inspire in the hearts of some members of the white proletariat and only wish (This is a rather personal confession.) that I possess the ability to similarly terrorize. The Negro terrorizes simply by being himself; I, however, must browbeat a bit in order to achieve the same end. Perhaps I should have been a Negro. I suspect that I would have been a rather large and terrifying one, continually pressing my ample thigh against the withered thighs of old white ladies in public conveyances a great deal and eliciting more than one shriek of panic. Then, too, if I were a Negro, I would not be pressured by my mother to find a good job, for no good jobs would be available. my mother herself, a worn old Negress, would be too broken by years of underpaid labor as a domestic to go out bowling at night. She and I could live most pleasantly in some moldy shack in the slums in a state of amibitonless peace, realizing contentedly that we were unwanted, that striving was meaningless.

>> No.14587526

Any recs for books with similar protagonists? Doesn't necessarily have to be fiction.

>> No.14588670
File: 73 KB, 588x622, dystopian present future.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Haven't read this in years, time to pick it up again.