[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3 KB, 1280x853, 1280px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14585264 No.14585264[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

This seems the only board interested in language learning at all, and since you guys love the Greeks so much I think you guys can help me
I want to learn the entirety of the Greek language. I want to learn Ancient Greek, Biblical/Koine Greek, Katharevousa, and Demotic Greek. In what order should I learn these? I know Ancient Greek can be good for etymologies, but it’s weird pronunciation can make it difficult to learn other dialects. Modern Greek is still spoken to this day, so I could actually go to Greece and speak to Greek people using it, which is helpful, though apparently it’s very different from all the others. Katharevousa is apparently a happy medium, but it’s a strictly literary language (and resources in English are apparently scarce).
So, what does /lit/ think? I’d especially love it if any native Greek speakers could weigh in. In what order should I try learning these? Also, is there any major dialect of Greek I’m forgetting? Please don’t try to simplify it by saying “just don’t learn this” or “just skip this one,” if you think any are truly unnecessary, just tell me why and I’ll learn it last. I truly want to master all of these though

>> No.14585294

I am Greek albeit a self hating one. Don't waste your time. You are better off spending time mastering the English language or learn something cool where you can read great writers like French, Italian, German. Greeks haven't really accomplished anything in 2000+ years it's a backwater country today. Greek people are dumb as bricks so there is no one worth talking to. Greek philosophy is overrated it's a meme and not really significant other than for historical reasons. The Greek language is also grating as fuck though, one of the ugliest languages. Learn Portuguese instead. It is a beautiful language and you can read Pessoa and a gold mine of untranslated poets. I know that other posters will give me flack but they are all underage contrarians that don't even read and larp as christcucks or some other "tradition" they want to dress up as so who gives a shit.

>> No.14585407

>>14585294
Thank you for wasting everybody’s time with your self-pitying rambles. Fuck off

>> No.14585425

>>14585264
GREEK here. Do NOT listen to this faggot >>14585294, (non-demotic) GREEK is the greatest and noblest language there is, with Vedic Sanskrit and Classical Chinese. It is the language of Homer, of Plato, and of GOD himself.
While obviously demotic is the easiest to learn, the easiest way to transition through the language is oldest to newest. That is, learn the ancient dialects (Attic, which has the most material, +then/simultaneously Homeric, and from there) , then Koinè, medieval*, Katharevousa, demotic.

>> No.14585450

>>14585425
I say this because otherwise it's just going to get harder and more complex. You already know 95% of simpler Greek by knowing more complex Greek, I think.