[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 206 KB, 1179x1681, 03bookellmann1-superJumbo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14579988 No.14579988 [Reply] [Original]

>the fact that Trump wants to take cover away from 630,000 Ohioans who took up Obamacare last year, and if he gets away with it, some of those poor souls are possibly going to die, the fact that I’m glad we’re not on Obamacare, genocide, femicide, the fact that I will never see Mommy again, or Abby, or Bathsheba, or Pepito, and these are permanent sadnesses, the fact that I never liked the idea of anything being permanent, scars and wounds and such, chipped tooth, “never since the loss of her dear mother,” Anne Elliott, Do The Macarena, doing the dab, “A little dab’ll do ya,” the fact that Anne Elliott thinks about her mom every time she plays the piano, and that’s how I feel, I mean without the piano, the fact that it’s how I feel all the time, the fact that I haven’t felt loved since Mommy got sick, well, apart from Leo, that is, and Abby, and maybe Phoebe and Ethan, but they’re far away, and Daddy, and Chuck maybe, and Nanya, I suppose, or Anat sometimes, and the chickens, the fact that at least the chickens really do love me, the fact that we kill fifty or sixty billion chickens a year, not me, other people, the fact that Mommy’s illness wrecked my life, the fact that it broke me, the fact that I am broken, heartbroken, heart operation, heart scar, broke, Yueyaquan, Leo, the fact that that mean doctor gave me antibiotics for bronchitis, but so reluctantly, the fact that he seemed to hate me, and I never knew why, but that was years ago, the fact that I sure can hold a grudge, the fact that once in a while I remember too much maybe, Persuasion, plainsong, Schubert part songs, Pleasantville, Plainfield VT, taking the rap, the fact that the best way to tackle grouting is to apply all your frustrations to the task, all your humiliations too, all your flops and failures, flop sweat, slap happy, force, fork, torque, work, energy, statics, dynamics, stress analysis, the fact that statics is the study of bodies in equilibrium, civil engineering, civil rights, civic duty, “Buck up,” the fact that I hate it, the fact that I just slump when Leo’s not here, but there are boarlets, the fact that boarlets exist, the fact that even now, somewhere on earth, there must be some boarlets, sweet boarlets with horizontal stripes in black and brown and white, and tiny, little, miniature-sized trotters, the fact that I just think those horizontal stripes of theirs make life worth living, the fact that my mouth is dry and I’m getting a pimple on my chin, the fact that I still get zits, at my age, the fact that we still have about thirty sealed packing crates in the attic and I have no idea what’s in them, the fact that Stace and I moved in here ten years ago, but I’m too scared of hurting my back lugging all that stuff around, and I’m too busy,
Rate Lucy Ellmann prose

>> No.14580002

The fact that this fucking sucks is true

>> No.14580023

>>14579988
this is like when a boring normal person gets schizophrenia instead of someone cool and interesting like terry davis

>> No.14580031
File: 79 KB, 640x640, f57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

R8 my edit
>Trump wants to take cover away from 630,000 Ohioans who took up Obamacare last year, and if he gets away with it, some of those poor souls are possibly going to die. I’m glad we’re not on Obamacare, genocide, femicide. I will never see Mommy again, or Abby, or Bathsheba, or Pepito, and these are permanent sadnesses. I never liked the idea of anything being permanent, scars and wounds and such, chipped tooth, “never since the loss of her dear mother,” Anne Elliott, Do The Macarena, doing the dab, “A little dab’ll do ya,” the fact that Anne Elliott thinks about her mom every time she plays the piano, and that’s how I feel, I mean without the piano, the fact that it’s how I feel all the time. I haven’t felt loved since Mommy got sick, well, apart from Leo, that is, and Abby, and maybe Phoebe and Ethan, but they’re far away, and Daddy, and Chuck maybe, and Nanya, I suppose, or Anat sometimes, and the chickens. at least the chickens really do love me. We kill fifty or sixty billion chickens a year, not me, other people. Mommy’s illness wrecked my life, it broke me, I am broken, heartbroken, heart operation, heart scar, broke, Yueyaquan, Leo, that mean doctor gave me antibiotics for bronchitis, but so reluctantly, he seemed to hate me, and I never knew why, but that was years ago. I sure can hold a grudge. once in a while I remember too much maybe, Persuasion, plainsong, Schubert part songs, Pleasantville, Plainfield VT, taking the rap, the best way to tackle grouting is to apply all your frustrations to the task, all your humiliations too, all your flops and failures, flop sweat, slap happy, force, fork, torque, work, energy, statics, dynamics, stress analysis. statics is the study of bodies in equilibrium, civil engineering, civil rights, civic duty, “Buck up,” I hate it, I just slump when Leo’s not here, but there are boarlets, boarlets exist, even now, somewhere on earth, there must be some boarlets, sweet boarlets with horizontal stripes in black and brown and white, and tiny, little, miniature-sized trotters. I just think those horizontal stripes of theirs make life worth living, my mouth is dry and I’m getting a pimple on my chin. I still get zits, at my age, we still have about thirty sealed packing crates in the attic and I have no idea what’s in them. Stace and I moved in here ten years ago, but I’m too scared of hurting my back lugging all that stuff around, and I’m too busy

>> No.14580055

>>14580031
i really enjoyed your edit, it was a huge improvement

>> No.14580058

>>14579988
I knew this book was shit ever since I glanced over the cover and discovered it was written by a woman

>> No.14580063

It is not boring to read. But I buy books to read a good story, and not incoherent ramblings that change every 3-4 lines (or in this case, every 3-4 "the fact that"s).

If she had done this stuff every few pages with a story in between, fine, I'd give it a serious go. But I ain't reading 1000 pages without a full stop and with nothing happening. It's just the ramblings of a burger past her prime and it's crawling with bacteria.

In summary: writing's not bad. What is bad is the decision to make it a 1000-page long sentence goes nowhere and achieves nothing.

>> No.14580084

>>14579988
>like nothing you've ever read before
i'm pretty sure i've read crap liek this before

>> No.14580085

>>14580063
I don't mind reading well written nothing. I just can't stand "the fact that" replacing a full stop. It's fucking maddening.

>> No.14580104
File: 122 KB, 791x333, the fact that.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

reading this is just annoying
that's the fact.

>> No.14580125

I liked it, it was about three times too long though

>> No.14580362

>>14580023
Best possible description

>> No.14580534

>>14579988
ive read some "difficult books" (gravitys rainbow, JR, beckett, blah blah blah) but i flipped through this one in the books store and i honestly dont know if i would have it in me to finish it. thats not a diss on the book at all, i have no idea if its good or bad but man... it seems like ti would be slow going. maybe one day though

>> No.14580936

>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
contrarian bitch

>> No.14580948

>>14579988
cheap DFW ripoff

>> No.14581462

>>14580948
Her pure prose is better than DFW. Meanwhile DFW is pure gimmick for fags, IJ or otherwise.

>> No.14581503

>>14581462
if the op is any indication then that is definitely not true

>> No.14581525

>>14581503
Maybe read her other works then faggot. Ducks is a gimmick novel to scrape money off the same retards that love Infinite Jest, but this time the women sort. Meanwhile DFW can only ever write in one mode. Ellman has more than one style of writing, and head to head she beats DFW's blogger prose.

>> No.14581543

Why would anyone want to read pages of this?

>> No.14581576
File: 6 KB, 259x194, 1579409439233.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the fact that this shit got published

she must have some real kosher friends in the industry

>> No.14582122

>>14579988
The fact that I'm a dickless bitch of an asshole so it doesn't matter what I do, say or think.

>> No.14582245
File: 55 KB, 500x500, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14579988
>>14580031
Rate my edit

>the fact that niggers want to take money away from 630,000 white women who stand in front of them in line every year, and if they away with it, some of those poor souls are possibly going to go broke, the fact that I’m glad I'm not a nigger, and enjoy genocide, femicide, the fact that I will never see women's beasts again, or Abby, or Bathsheba, or Pepito, and these are permanent sadnesses, the fact that I never liked the idea of anything being permanent, like illegal alians and niggers and such, buck tooth, “never since the loss of her virgitnity” Anne Elliott, Do The Mumbo, smoking a dab, “A little dab’ll do ya,” the fact that T.S. Elliott thinks about his mom every time he jerks off and that’s how I feel, I mean without the jerking off, the fact that it’s how I feel all the time, the fact that I haven’t felt loved since daddy shot my sister, well, apart from Leo, that is, and Abby, and maybe Phoebe and Ethan, but they’re far away, and Daddy, and Chuck maybe, and Nanya, I suppose, or Anat sometimes, and nigger's chicken, the fact that at least the chickens really do fuck me, the fact that we kill fifty or sixty billion jewish chickens a year, not me, other people, the fact that Mommy’s illness wrecked my anus, the fact that it broke me, the fact that I am broken, hymen's broken, heart operation, testicle scar, broke, Yueyaquan, Leo, the fact that that mean doctor gave me an erection for bronchitis, but so reluctantly, the fact that he seemed to hate me, and I never knew why, but that was weeks ago, the fact that I sure can hold a nut, the fact that once in a while I remember too much maybe, Persuasion, plainsong, Schubert part songs, more rambling bullshit, raping a cat, the fact that the best way to tackle 6 year olds is to apply all your frustrations to the task, all your humiliations too, all your flops and failures, ass sweat, slap happy, forced sex, fork yourself, torque, balls, energy, statics, dynamics, stress balls, the fact that statics is the study of semen in equilibrium, civil engineering, civil rights, civic duty, “U.S.S. Liberty,” the fact that I hate it, the fact that I just cry when Trump’s not here, but there are asians, the fact that niggers exist, the fact that even now, somewhere on earth, there must be some niggers, loud niggers with horizontal stripes in black and brown and white, and tiny, little, miniature-sized kikes, the fact that I just think those horizontal stripes of theirs make life worth living, the fact that my dick is hard and I’m getting a pimple on my tits, the fact that I still get horny, at my age, the fact that we still have about thirty sealed condoms in the attic and I have no idea what’s in them, the fact that Jesus and I moved in here ten years ago, but I’m too scared of hurting my dick tugging all that stuff around, and I’m too busy,

>> No.14583191

>>14580063
>It's just the ramblings of a burger past her prime and it's crawling with bacteria.
lol brutal

>> No.14583199

>>14581525
Take your meds, Lucy.

>> No.14583219

>>14580936
She's arguing black musicians should have acclaim and wealth over white musicians. It'll be controversial to like Beethoven or the Beatles in 10 years. My dad refuses to watch Amadeus because it glorifies "white supremacy."

>> No.14583227
File: 666 KB, 1034x1053, 1574711951194.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seems a bit much

>> No.14583236

>>14579988
Slave morality and shallow observations. Fucking worthless piffle. Also, "The Fact that," detracts from this already worthless piece. Imagine comparing this garbage to Ulysses. Fuck contemporary literature.

>> No.14583249

>>14579988
Lol holy fuck, I feel bad for the schizophrenic street guy that scrawls shit more interesting than this but can’t get an agent. Facts b

>> No.14583267

>>14580063
Naked lunch came out 60 years ago. This is shit.

>> No.14583277

>>14583199
Should have stayed on yours, Wallace.

>> No.14583278

>>14580936
>ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art.

T.brainlet that doesn’t understand rock n roll or jazz

>> No.14583283

>>14580936
>Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers.

This butch dumb

>> No.14583291

>>14582245
It actually made it more interesting, my image of the narrator changed

>> No.14584087

>>14580936
>the fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art, jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times, classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe, rock critics are still blinded by commercial success, the Beatles sold more than anyone else, not true, by the way, therefore they must have been the greatest, jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past, rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers, no wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved,
Fixed

>> No.14584123

>>14580936
Lmaooo
Based scruffy poster

>> No.14584126

>>14583219
>>14583278
>>14583283
>>14584087
Newfags kys

>> No.14584172

>>14579988
Is this real? Terrible prose and terrible ideas

>> No.14584199
File: 1.88 MB, 1984x6936, ducks, newburyport.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you distinguish the misunderstood genius from the pretentious or insane? Am I to assume the people who enjoy this are just much smarter than me, that they understand all the references, enjoy the rhythm and cadance, and see how the lists have some hidden logic?
Or are they just holding this up because it's a thousand pages long and written by a woman and it's different? Do you have to be a woman to enjoy it?

>> No.14584201

>>14584199
Without thinking too hard about it, what do you think is the more likely answer?

>> No.14584213

>>14584201
I think it's pretentious trash, but then I would have thought the same of Ulysses when it first came out, but everyone agrees that's the pinnacle of English literature and I'm still not going to bother reading it. What if future /lit/ dunks on people for not having read Ducks, Newburyport in 100 years?

>> No.14584221

>>14584213
>but everyone agrees that's the pinnacle of English literature and I'm still not going to bother reading it
Perhaps Ulysses is not the pinnacle of English literature then? If you don't care about Irishfagging, what does Ulysses have to offer?

>> No.14584241

>>14580936
10/10

>> No.14585295

>>14580002
fpbp

>> No.14585345

>>14579988
>stream of consciousness for people with no thoughts
Ew

>> No.14585377

>>14584213
Ulysses is also pretentious trash.

>> No.14585404

>>14584213
Not likely as ducks is not rooted in things bigger than itself; Ulysses, aside from being highly personal to Joyce, is reflective of his rich education in western tradition. The book harkens to Greek tragedy, English imperialism and biblical origins with subtlety and familiarity, notnin some cheeky ‘look-what-I-can-do” patronizing and self serving fashion
Ducks is more akin to liveblog- self—referential and with the point of being pointless.

>> No.14586237

>the virgin "the fact that"
>>14579988
>the chad "in fact, of course"
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13148071/1/If-we-never-had-genitals

>> No.14586371

>>14580023
Perfect description. Are you a writer?

>> No.14586440

>>14580936
What a dumb bitch. According to her, the sophistication of a genre’s critical community is what legitimizes it as an art form. I guess paintings are out.