[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 467x312, fisher.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14578357 No.14578357 [Reply] [Original]

How has the notion of being a "writer" changed in the past decade, in your opinion?

A few things I've noticed are:

>idea that you could earn a decent salary writing full-time became semi-popular during the early 2010s partly thanks to alt-lit and writers on social media - that's no longer something anybody considers possible

>idea of the writer's identity now a massively important factor in his or her becoming mainstream - females, non-whites and white homosexual males now higher in the hierarchy than a "mediocre white man" or "that white guy in your MFA"

>social media, super highspeed broadband, e-celebs etc seem to have damaged attention spans to the point where quiet, meditative reading of longer, more understated novels is more difficult (and therefore less popular)

>the average aspiring writer now faces competition from other aspiring writers shilling themselves on social media, people self-publishing their books, and people from MFAs / MAs in creative writing jumping the queue (although this isn't really specific to the 2010s)

>fame-whoring and self-promotion culture has made the idea of the writer as anything of a cultural mouthpiece defunct due to the amount of competition

>[maybe incorrect] globalised culture means writers and books focusing on local / regional stories will struggle to gain as many readers as they would have pre-internet and in the early days of the internet

>> No.14578374

>waaaaah its society's fault i'm not a successful writer

>> No.14578379

>>14578374
I'm not a writer lad. I just noticed those changes form reading reviews, articles, social media etc.

>> No.14578383
File: 923 KB, 5000x4323, 1576470698169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seriously, Anons, read Liveblog

>> No.14578396

>(although this isn't really specific to the 2010s)
None of it is.
>I'm not a writer lad. I just noticed those changes form reading reviews, articles, social media etc.
What you're experiencing is similar to when a young man first has sex, or first takes acid, or first conceives of nihilism — you're assuming that your youthful finally-noticing-what's-up is some earth-shattering shift in things external to you rather than observing more impartially that you have only just become aware of these things. There's been no revolution, no substantial change.

>> No.14578495

>>14578357
If you're writing to be famous and successful, stop writing. Your spirit and mind are corrupt, and so anything you create will be corrupt.

>> No.14578683

>>14578357
Screenwriters are the only real writers