[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 423x436, dsfdsf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1457617 No.1457617 [Reply] [Original]

I dunno, it's the impression I get. Even the DFW fanboys aren't talking about it much, and when they do, they don't seem excited. Is it because it's 'only' 500 pages, rather than 1,100, and so can't be an epic? I'm not sure. I'm sort of looking forward to it myself, then again, I'm not THAT into DFW.

>> No.1457629
File: 82 KB, 472x679, colette-cochon-inde.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My jimmies are pretty unrustleable, but those sort of comments about the length of a book rustle them a bit.

>> No.1457634

I didn't say that *I* felt that way. I merely suggested that as a possible cause for the (possible) lack of excitement.

>> No.1457675
File: 18 KB, 571x226, David Foster Wallace (5).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've read both novels, all short story collections, and most of his essay collections.

I just want to know other people's reactions first. Unfinished and unpublished works aren't always as great as Kafka's. Sometimes there are reasons for the lack of publication, and I just don't know if it'll be worth it for me. For now, I'll just be sad that my idol didn't get to finish it.

>> No.1457692

The extracts have been pretty good TBH.

It's unfinished, so it won't be perfect, but I think it'll be pretty good.

DFW always over-wrote his novels anyway.

>> No.1457870

>>1457675
I'm assuming you've also read and especially heard a number of his interviews. Later in his life, he talks about sort of coming around to the idea of 'sentimentalism" or being 'sentimental', a concept he was kind of squirmy about, both in regards to his writing and as a human being. In terms of writing, he was so inspired by Barth and DeLillo and all these other 'post-modern' writers that that's what he aspired to, that he didn't want to specifically write 'sentimental' work. Even Infinite Jest, with it's undeniable emotion (DFW always refered to it as "sad"..), was bereft of the sentimentality that David talked about.

Why am I mentioning this word? Because The Pale King, from what I gathered, will not be like his other novels or writings. His style will be there, yes, but this novel will contain that 'sentimental' quality that he eventually grew into, as life became sweeter and more ideal. It will have a heart and will affect the viewer, emotionally, on a purposefully overt level. And for that alone, I'm excited about The Pale King. It will be a novel by the DFW that most didn't know, which was the latter day DFW, the guy that (even as depression crept so gravely into his last two years) enjoyed his life and wrote like it.

>> No.1457880

>>1457870
also he used the word "sentimental" to mean writings that aren't particularly difficult or 'arty', or 'post-modern'. his style is there, but TPK, I believe, was written from that mind set. the straight ahead story and no bullshit. emotion when there is meant to be emotion. no pretentions, for lack of a way better word.