[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 192 KB, 824x905, EOaVTltWoAIWnBE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14558668 No.14558668 [Reply] [Original]

>inb4 Fukuyama
I don't mean the end of history as in the "final form of human governance", but in the sense that our culture seems to have lost a continuous narrative. Pre-industrial cultures developed over hundreds of years, creating rich and continuous histories. I'm looking for postmodern works describing the atomisation/destruction of cultural evolution.

Recc's?

>> No.14558693

Roberto Calasso's The Ruin of Kasch might be what you're looking for, anon. Also Spengler does a good job of creating a meta-narrative by which to understand western civ.

>> No.14558717

>>14558668
>there is no biological basis for mental illness
King, mental illness manifests itself through biological means, your suggestion to assess ones social and environmental factors are well-founded and amiable, however an environmental stress harsh enough may leave a mark on one's own physiology that may persist even as one alters it's environment and hamper it's ability to deal with future stressors, the internal health of an individual cannot be ignored and I hold the conviction that it is on equal terms of importance compared with its environment

>> No.14558879

The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times

>> No.14558908

>>14558717
Yeah, but I wouldn't consider it unless I get a brainscan or have substantial evidence. It is true that people with schizophrenia, or those who've experienced a kind of head trauma (like soldiers who've undergone IED blasts), have damage that effects these things.
But for those looking into therapy, it's irresponsible to put yourself at the feet of a corrupt and impotent psych industry otherwise. They do not have a proper medical understanding of the drugs they use, and psychologists lack the empirical foundations for the types of therapy they do (take, for example, the infamous study in which about 75% of psychological experiments could not be replicated).
And often, psychology takes difference as disease. Our sweeping public education and business model has done much damage to many personalities that don't fit it.

>> No.14558972
File: 56 KB, 720x696, finneganswake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14558879
>Guenon

>> No.14559003

>>14558668
The "end of history" thing was the core of how Nietzsche conceptualized the destruction of values and the collapse of society. Most of the authors I've read that talk about it are really just riding his coattails and squeezing him into whatever ideological corner they fit into. If you want a thorough understanding of how and why this is happening, spend a couple years studying his oeuvre.

Of course, I think it's bullshit and it's all cyclical. But that's another kettle of fish.

>> No.14559007

>>14559003
I don't think we are within a familiar cycle anymore. The internet is a truly unprecedented phenomenon and force of change in the world.

>> No.14559013

>>14559007
Nah, not at all. The internet is just books but more, and books were just words but more, and words were just grunts but more, and grunts were just gestures but more, and gestures were just sex but more, and sex was just eating each other but more.

>> No.14559050

>>14558668
Lieven De Cauter- Metamoderniteit voor beginners; and of course Lyotard if you haven't read him.

>> No.14559090

>>14558668
The Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler
The Perfection of the West by John J. Reilly