[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 568x548, coolmug.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14555802 No.14555802 [Reply] [Original]

Post all of the Shakespeare you've read and compare, discuss. going first, in order of production: Titus Andronicus, Love's Labours Lost, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, As You Like It, Hamlet, All's Well That Ends Well, Measure for Measure, Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, and The Tempest.

>> No.14555839

omelet, romeo and juliet, the list goes on.....

>> No.14555858

>>14555802
Does it count if it was performed, rather than read as literature?

>> No.14555862

>>14555858
sure yeah, delineate which were which

>> No.14555981

>>14555862
Read: Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Acted in: Taming of the Shrew
Seen (play): Othello, Macbeth, Much Ado About Nothing, The Tempest, Antony and Cleopatra, Love's Labors Lost, A Midsummer Night's Dream (at the Globe)
Seen (film): Titus Andronicus, Coriolanus, Macbeth (2015), Hamlet (1948), Much Ado About Nothing (2012), Hamlet (1990)

Even though I performed in a few, I don't think I really started to appreciate Shakespeare at all until I recognized the incredible variety with which a character could be performed. I find most film adaptations fail in actually capturing the magic of either the writing or the story. Cutting back and forth between lines of poorly delivered Elizabethan English is a chore. Mel Gibson's and Olivier's Hamlets have by far been the best film adaptations I've seen, largely because they give the most space for actors to actually act. I was very disappointed by Fassbender's Macbeth; in trying to create a strong mood, it ultimately makes the scenes almost unintelligible. I saw some bits of the 2000 adaptation of Hamlet that seemed to work very well, notably Polonius' advice to Laertes. Most of the live performances I've seen were amateurs, which are fun, but not great. The few good performances I've seen are incredible. The one at the Globe was sparse in its set, but the acting was great, which carries over the humor very well.

>> No.14556004

>>14555981
Have you seen the Globe Othello?

>> No.14556131

>>14556004
No, only A Midsummer Night's Dream. That seems like one that's really worth seeing performed by a good company. I saw it once as a community "Shakespeare in the Park" performance, which was solid, and as a high-school play around the time The Dark Knight came out. In the later, Iago ended up being played somewhat like the Joker; the kid wasn't a bad actor, so it was fine, but I think it took away from the play as a whole to have such attention focused on a psychopathic betrayal; it doesn't feel that treacherous, nor does it make much sense, that Iago murders his former friend out of insanity.

>> No.14556179

>>14556131
Oh man it's great, I really like their Iago, the guy's name isn't coming to mind readily. That production sounds not great but i guess that's high school.

>> No.14556190

>>14556179
For high-school it was good enough. If you're going to a high-school play, you should only expect a certain level of quality. It's just a simple fact that almost no 17 year old is mature enough to actually capture the depth of human experience. It's okay.

Is the globe performance online somewhere?

>> No.14556203

>>14556190
not that i'm aware of but i'm sure you could get a copy through your nearest public or university library

>> No.14556376

In order of reading:

The Merchant of Venice
Macbeth
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Romeo and Juliet
Hamlet
Othello
King Lear
Antony and Cleopatra
The Tempest

I want to read Julius Caesar next

>> No.14556395

>>14556376
How is anthony and cleopatra, if it's still fresh in your head

>> No.14556402

Seen:
Richard III
Henry V
Comedy of Errors
Midsummer Night’s Dream
King Lear

Only read:
Romeo and Juliet
MacBeth
Hamlet
Richard II
Othello
Julius Caesar
The Tempest

Richard III is incredibly fun. Favorite is that or Henry V. MacBeth is also up there. The comedies are good, but less interesting to me.

>> No.14556421

>>14556402
redpill me on these i like shakespeare but I havent read either richard iii or henry the v

>> No.14556459

>>14556421
>Richard III
He revels in his own villainy as he manipulates people and claws his way to the top. He has all these great soliloquies where he explains how he’s playing everyone for a chump.

>Henry V
Prince Hal grows up, cuts ties with his lowlife friends, goes to war, wins a great victory, marries French princess.

>> No.14556483

>>14555802
i've read like the first page of king lear and half of romeo and juliet