[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3 KB, 102x125, 1546152966984.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14521880 No.14521880 [Reply] [Original]

what books can i read to increase my emotional intelligence, particularly my skills in understanding the thoughts, emotions, behaviour and/or intentions of people

i'm probably on the spectrum and i need to learn how to understand people (through text/passages/dialogues on paper) for a medical entrance exam

i've heard fiction can help, is there any particularly emotion focused fiction book i should read?

>> No.14521925

>>14521880
Maybe try Tolstoy. Quote:

>I’m always overpowered by the way his novels describe everyone from the inside, even the dogs and horses. I have the same reaction to Tolstoy’s writing as his sister-in-law, Tanya Bers, who was the model for Natasha in War and Peace: “I can see how you are able to describe landowners, fathers, generals, soldiers,” she told him, “but how can you insinuate yourself into the heart of a girl in love, how can you describe the sensation of a mother — for the life of me I cannot understand.” I think Tolstoy is better at “insinuating himself” than any other novelist.

Obvious novels would Anna Karenina or War and Peace.