[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 766 KB, 1080x1440, 6C234AA7-7F86-4D09-9CD0-49BDDDECC49D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14411232 No.14411232 [Reply] [Original]

What are some effective ways to improve writing? I struggle with some grammar, sentence structure, I’m decent at imagery, but other than that my prose can seem flat.

What writing exercises are good for improving these skills?

I don’t want book recs, I’ve seen every book on style that’s been mentioned here.

>> No.14411616

>>14411232
Write a letter from Merlin to King Arthur.

>> No.14412044

>>14411616
That honestly sounds really fun.

>> No.14412047

Post an excerpt

>> No.14412206

>>14412047
It’s a first draft and flawed, but here it is.

My king in blood and deeds, the years that have followed your coronation in the light of God and the hearts of men have seemed lifetimes in my isolation. An isolation of he traveler, the roving kind of a man that makes house in his footsteps. I’ve missed you as a brother Arthur, but I fear my absence is of the most pertinent kind. The texts that are etched upon the uprooted stones in our land have lead me to kingdoms and past oceans that would only confirm legend. The black barrachals of nightmare that wretch in the souls of those that read the texts of morgoth have been made commonplace in the east. In the duned cities, where kabals of sorcerers pervert the angelic songs to the hissing of serpents and the perversion of magic. I’ve seen the doom of Camelot. The rusting deluge that will crack the swords of the knightly table. Heed my words as more than a magician’s fancy. Raise the banners of war and press the levies that you’ve so earned. I shall not be swift as the dove that bears this warning, or the horseman that trod as Black Death. The dusk of man shall set its fall before my eyes see the ivory towers. I pray for us all my king. Guard the candle we’ve sparked together from this world cracking cold that comes like a stranger in the deep dawn.

The gilded sage