[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 795 KB, 792x791, 1576688237744.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14404481 No.14404481 [Reply] [Original]

assuming i have never read a book before beyond high school reading, what do i need to read in order to be able to understand modern philosophers like nietzsche, evola, deleuze, land, etc?
inb4 greeks, Homer, Pindar, Plato, Aristotle, Sophocles, Euripedes, Hesiod, Aristophones, Herodotus, Sappho, Plutarch, Ovid, Virgil, Lucretius, Arisoto, Horace, St. Augustine, Marcus Aurelius, Rabelais, Dante, Petrarch, Boccaccio, Machiavelli, Luther, Cervantes, Chaucer, the Beowulf poet, Chretien de Troyes, Marie de France, Sterne, Burton, Browne, Wyatt, Sidney, Percy Shelley, Tennyson, Donne, Pope, Dryden, Bacon, Novalis, Schelling, Schlegal, Hegel, Pascal, Lichtenberg, Dickinson, Shakespeare, Ibsen, Dickens, Marlowe, Diderot, Jonson, Goethe, Bunyan, Gibbon, Addison, Smollett, Milton, Johnson, Boswell, Emerson, Quincey, Burke, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hume, Kant, Mary Shelley, Wollstonecraft, Racine, Baudelaire, Valery, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Moliere, Montaigne, Browning, Gray, Holderlin, Schiller, Shaw, Voltaire, Hugo, Balzac, Zola, Colette, Duras, Dumas, Stendhal, Nerval, Flaubert, Mallarme, Malraux, Chateaubriand, Artaud, Poe, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Blake, Byron, Keats, Arnold, Pater, Walter Scott, Swinburne, Rossetti, Carroll, William James, Henry James, Hawthorne, Twain, Melville, Dewey, Bergson, Whitehead, George Eliot, Williams, Frost, Cummings, Crane, Stevens, Whitman, Plath, Trakl, Rilke, Celan, Montale, Neruda, Lorca, Tagore, Manzoni, Peake, Murdoch, Wharton, Wilde, Leopardi, Faulkner, O'Connor, Passos, Nietzsche, Marx, Adorno, Bloch, Lukacs, Bakhtin, Hamsun, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Chekhov, Andreyev, Bely, Bulgakov, Gonchorov, Camoes, Pessoa, Queiroz, Saramago, Paz, Borges, Bloy, Pirandello, Huysmans, Lautreamont, Schwob, Casares, Bolano, Cortazar, Lima, Donoso, de Assis, Carpentjier, Celine, Marquez, Unamuno, Gracq, Gide, Jarry, Camus, Conrad, Wells, Hardy, Salinger, Lawrence, Forster, Hrabal, Swift, Bronte, Woolf, Bachelard, Roussel, Beckett, Proust, Nabokov, Joyce, O'Brien, Yeats, Waugh, Heaney, Auden, Hofmannsthal, Mann, Musil, Broch, Zweig, Bachmann. Jelinek, Lessing, Laxness, Simenon,Svevo, Levi, Buzzati, Quasimodo, Llosa, Walser, Kafka, Babel, Schulz, Transtromer, Kertesz, Pavic, Andric, Grossmann,Sillanpää, Linna, Mahfouz, Boll, Grass, Canetti, Pavese, Robbe-Grillet, Blanchot, Perec, Calvino, Bernhard, Gass, Barth, Gaddis, Vollmann, Vidal, Hawkes, DeLillo, Pynchon, McElroy, Soseki, Murasaki, Shonagon, Kawabata, Mishima, Akutagawa, Tanizaki, Dazai, Oe, Xinjiang, Yan, Kosztolanyi, Gombrowicz, Ishiguro, Eco, Coetzee, Auerbach, Benjamin, Barthes, Pasternak, Derrida, Deleuze, Bateson, Foucault, Lyotard, Mcluhan, Eichenbaum, Steiner, Munro, Carson, Handke, Theroux, Patrick White, Alfau, Marias, Enard, Claude Simon, Elizabeth Bishop, Markson, Lowry, Bellow, Dara, etc

>> No.14404511

>>14404481
evola is not a philosopher

>> No.14404524

>>14404481
Just read slowly anon. Don't read philosphy like you read fiction. Make sure you understand all the words. Read Philosphy as if you are retarded. Go word by word. It's not a race. You'll pick up the pace eventually. Other than that just read in general.

>> No.14404527

>>14404481
start with the chinks

>> No.14404528

>>14404524
you mean that there's not some dependency graph of philosophy, and you can just jump into any particular author and still be able to understand them even if you haven't read the people that influenced them?

>> No.14404537

robin waterfield- the first philosophers
durant- story of philosophy
bertrand russel- history of western philosophy

>> No.14404555

>>14404528
Well yes and no. I haven't read philosphy before. I just started to read Sartre. They reference each other a lot and use each other's terms. When you look up a term, usually there will be distinction. Like how it's used normally, in law, in philosophy or math. They will reference each other though and how much jargon they use depends on the Philosopher. Like I was reading Kierkegaard and he used more jargon and was less clear than Sartre. I've found that it helps me to sit at a desk and whenever I don't understand something. I write it down and break the paragraph down, I look up the words and write down their definitions, and try to make sense of what's being said. There are different types of Philosphy. Each of them will probably read differently.

>> No.14404556

>>14404481
Where did you get that list? There’s so much bullshit on it. Robbe-grillet? He’s not essential to understanding anything.

>> No.14404563

>>14404556
You must be new, it's a meme list dude. Unless you are trolling me.

>> No.14404579

>>14404528
It's not like math despite, what these guys may believe. Imo Its good to add math into your daily regimen. Works your brain out and it's fun to play with, in math there's certainty. In these philosophers logical arguments, there's always murk in there some where.

>> No.14404658

>>14404556
>he doesn't understand the robbe-grillet-hofmannsthal isomorphism and its fundamental significance in western thought
come back when you do

>> No.14404763

>>14404658
Explain it to him simply if you understand it.

>> No.14404859

>>14404763
i'm writing my phd thesis on it, you'll have to read it when it's done sorry