[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 95 KB, 635x768, Parnaso_09.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14392053 No.14392053 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else hate going to the bookstore? I'm so disgusted every time I go. The shelves are stocked well with modern garbage that's kept in good condition while canonical works are scarce and in bad condition. It's rare that I find a canonical work, rarer that I find it in decent condition and when I buy it, the book is never restocked even weeks/months later. Even someone more modern and "progressive" like Virginia Woolf can be hard to find. I meant to go back to look at the garbage modern works but it slipped my mind. I really can't imagine how people can be interested in that garbage. I know most people feel the same way about literature in general, but the canon is at least more interesting than the garbage that lonely housewives read. Funko Pops, children's toys, and poorly written novels for housewives vastly outnumber canonical works. Yes, I live in America, sadly. All of the foreign bookstores I've been to have all had the basic respect of not having the eyesore of children's toys and Funko Pops stocked, at least.

>> No.14392115

>>14392053
What country are you in? We have Waterstones in the UK, they cover the classics well, rejacket them in fancy covers. However the entrance of the shop usually showcases meme book of the day, i.e best women authors (not Austen etc.) but some random feminist authors, or anti-Trump shelves (for some reason), also young adult is usually about trannies now. But I wouldn't say the suppress the classics at all.

If you go to a second hand book shop you can get the likes of Joyce or Dostoevsky for £1 so i can't complain

>> No.14392162

>>14392053
boo hoo