[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.69 MB, 675x1076, wall spook.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14335829 No.14335829 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/ need some writing advice for horror fiction.
I'm GMing a game tonight for a smallish group of 5 players. The mission I've got prepared is my first attempt at horror. The players need to go into an abandoned facility to retrieve something.
Give me advice to help write horror and high tension.
So far I've got:
- Time constraint
- Limited space
- extremely limited knowledge
- separate the party to be alone
- The monster can't really be fought & is very unknown. it will obscure senses when close to keep it unknown
- Their characters abilities and stats are nerfed as they get closer to the monster (making them helpless)
- I'm going to try to write with focus on atmosphere & feeling.

What else?

>> No.14335843

The unknown is true horror, don't reveal much

>> No.14335901

bump

>> No.14335922

>>14335829
Kill Yourself?

>> No.14336088

>>14335829
Horror is a hard thing to put properly into words.
The best example of horror I've found to be if you are guided into a certain idea of what the 'it' might be but even after finding out it is still an unknown as to what it exactly is.
This is what makes lovecrafts stories so enjoyable, you get a faint idea of what it is that the protagonist is fighting but even if he does defeat it you dont get to know much and it is left up to the reader to determine.
It also very much depends what kind of horror you want, do you want more mystery (like locked doors opening on their own and perhaps resident evil style puzzles) or do you want something more in line with a slasher flick where the monster is actively hunting the protagonists and bursting through doors all of a sudden.

>> No.14336106
File: 108 KB, 615x636, spooky pepe.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14335829
start you novel with "It was a dark and stormy night..."

>> No.14336271

>>14336088
well it's a facility gone dark. I'm thinking scp containment breach/resident evil 1/alien sort of vibe. There's a monster lurking the corridors