[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 77 KB, 500x500, 5dff3ff954ff2d25ea0eb41be9f993aa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14239288 No.14239288 [Reply] [Original]

does soul // spirit // mind // consciousness all mean the same thing? i find it confusing when writers use it interchangably

>> No.14239327
File: 11 KB, 348x511, kazlev8-fig14.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mind = soul, who, the person, passions, feeling, urges; calculation, searching, dialectics
Spirit = understanding, intuition, will, love, knowledge
Spirit (Nous) is the higher nature of Soul (psyche), or one could say that Soul is the reflexive Spirit. Just as Nous is the heart (core) of our being, the subject-object (in relation to thought that is), while still being both. Soul differentiates itself from objects, viewing itself as other than it (Nous becoming the itness of thought), when in reality the true you is the 'present' before difference, difference constantly arising. Thoughts, in a way, come from your past.
Thinking is a constant self-distinction with what arises as being our thought, thoughts then being projections from the soul.

This reflects the entire process of reality. Nous as a unity of subject and object is an image of our true self forever inaccessible, yet there here somewhere, now? Right now, swoosh its gone! where my present at?

>> No.14240203

They don’t mean the same and I wish authors didn’t use it interchangeably, but the damage is done and the confusion brought about by modernity is too advanced now.

Also they are probably not worth reading anyway as is a sure mark of ignorance and thus they have little to nothing to add.

>> No.14240218

No. Soul and spirit are pie in the sky words that don't mean anything and are used by dogmatists.

>> No.14240226

>>14239288
>does soul // spirit // mind // consciousness all mean the same thing?
No.
>i find it confusing when writers use it interchangably
Yeah, because they are hacks.