[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 347 KB, 1242x1223, 29AEAE70-A464-4B01-8BA2-E339EE00971B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14230815 No.14230815 [Reply] [Original]

Lit tw*tter was raving over it and how it got robbed of awards.

it’s apparently one long sentence in meme of consciousness

Also, it’s sheer size made my ism have to get it. I like big books and I cannot like...

>> No.14231493

>>14230815
Read it, only way to find out if it’s just a meme or deserving of the praise. It’s an interesting enough concept, and the cover is pretty good, but all that really matters is the contents.

>> No.14231503

>>14230815
give me some Lit twitter follows

>> No.14231505

>>14231493
Read the first 20 pages.... I’m shaking....
I-

>> No.14231508

>>14231493
Might be the most rational advice I've seen on lit

>> No.14231520

>>14230815
if the excerpts posted here are anything to go by than you got massively memed

>> No.14231523

>>14231493
Gross. If my life were extended by fifty years I wouldn't add this to my reading list. Writers need to fuck. This isn't even foreplay. It's like a half-diddle spread out over a gruesome span, like a pen vibrator applied over crisp new denim as one crosses the event horizon of a massive singularity, doing so as punishment for pedantry in a prior life

>> No.14231546

>>14231523
Then don’t read it. I’m not commenting on the quality, the amount of shills makes me highly skeptical of that, but the only answer to questions such as OP’s is “Just read it.”

>> No.14231552

>>14230815
You need to find better things to do with your money OP. That being said someone give this man $100 BTC to scan it into libgen so I can spam the link in the item reviews on Amazon so people download it instead of screwing themselves buying this stupid shit.

>> No.14231599

The fact that people on /lit/ won't even try to open a book or read a preview of it by searching the title on Google, Google Plus, Disney Plus, Baby Yoda, baby yoga, pilates, karate, black belt, The Black Belt, Black Lives Matter, the fact that users on 4chan constantly use the n-word without a trace of irony, the fact that its usage on 4chan is probably a bit more complicated than that and racism still exists on Twitter or Reddit, upvotes, voter fraud, polling place, Hanging Chads, Picnic at Hanging Rock, hang-loose, footloose, loosey goosey, the fact that I've never been called "loose" because I'm a man, but if I was a woman I definitely would be, the fact that I am experiencing breast swelling as a man and all Google searches point to cancer, the fact that I've never known anyone that's died of cancer, Cancer, Taurus, the fact that I'm a Virgo, the fact that the girls I've dated find that attractive but also making our relationships come to an inevitable end, "The End," call your mom, your mom jokes, the fact that my relationship with Mom has not be great lately, the fact that my relationship with most of my family has been especially bad recently, the fact that

>> No.14231623

seems like a constrained writing meme that garners a lot of talk because it has an interesting shtick, it's not going to be a classic and I dont expect it to stay relevant for long almost because of that

"one long sentence" is such a bullshit way to describe it too. It's a novel with no punctuation.

>> No.14231628

>>14231546
>Just buy it

>> No.14231635

>>14231599
Nice to meet you Ellmann!

>> No.14231640

>>14231523
Stop memeing, if you actually read, Even if it is pure garbage, you will have only wasted max two weeks of your time.

>> No.14231652

>>14231628
Actually, to get the true Ducks, Newburyport experience you need three copies. One for notes, one to read, and the third one. One sentence anon, just one. Isn’t that interesting, maybe if I mention James Joyce you will be enticed. Maybe if I call it a modern Ulysses, can’t pass up a modern Ulysses can you? It’s such a good book, and if you don’t believe me get your three copies to experience it yourself. Buy it Anon. Buy it Anon. Buy it Anon

>> No.14231671

>>14231640
I'd rather re-read Gass for two weeks. I'd emerge improved. Two weeks with Ms. Ellman and I shudder to think of the waste. Can you imagine wasting the precious gift of life on reading this GPT-2 experiment?

>> No.14231672

>>14231635
It’s not her. It’s simply absurd to imply for even a second that an esteemed author — arguably the greatest of our generation — would ever I repeat ever promote her own book on this board. Even if it was her, I need to know, what’s the harm in that? What is it? What hurts you so much that one genius spends her free time browsing /lit/, engulfing herself in the culture, then tries to promote her newest (and more profound) work of literature. It’s not easy anon, sometimes books don’t sell well, and sometimes people need to promote their art wherever it may be appreciated. It’s not her though.

>> No.14231674
File: 125 KB, 600x1613, 1227751977169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14231652

>> No.14231683

>>14231672
Lol I know anon... I was memeing. She doesn’t even use social media, so this is the last place I’d expect her to be on... unless...just kidding....but...

>> No.14231688

>>14230815
>'Ok, Boomer' in tome form

>> No.14231693

>>14231508
>>14231493
I've seen these posts before. How much stock do you have?

>> No.14231706

>>14230815
If you want over 1000 pages of stuff like this, you're going to be in heaven.

>poffertjes and maple syrup, the fact that I already knew Stacy wouldn’t have any bacon, the fact that she doesn’t have to say it that way, the fact that she’ll have the poffertjes though, I know that, the fact that no one can resist poffertjes, the fact that I can’t make them fast enough to satisfy the demand, the fact that this is fun, our Saturday treat, the fact that it’s nice when they all gather around like seals waiting to be thrown a fish, pufferfish, the fact that it’s Jake who calls them puffers, instead of poffertjes, syrup, the fact that it gives you a great sense of power, dishing up dozens of poffertjes to your family as they wait with bated breath, whatever that means, baited breath, abate, debate, the fact that I can only make fifteen at a time, and they disappear pretty fast into this family, Leo too, the fact that I could get a nineteen-cake skillet, nineteen’s the next size up, 19 cake, but Mommy bought this poffertje pan, puffers, more OJ, the fact that I like to think we’re probably the only family for miles around having poffertjes for breakfast, the fact that I just don’t know what the rest of Ohio’s waiting for, except that they’re all so scared of foreign stuff, the fact that I’m sure they’d like them if they tried them, the fact that all of Holland does, for a start, the fact that maybe I should spread the word that puffers are “Rrrreally good!,” poffertjes, I mean, the fact that maybe I should be making poffertjes for all our neighbors, be neighborly, the fact that if it weren’t for my shyness, I’d probably be the biggest Earth Mother going, the fact that I’d take in strays, hold cocktail parties, dinner parties, picnics, cookouts, the whole deal, with hampers and checked tablecloths and a portable barbecue and a whole load of fried chicken and potato salad, live band, Hallowe’en parties, match-making, baby showers, vow renewal parties, mass sleepovers, you name it, nurse the sick, chauffeur everybody else’s kids to school, run a stall at the farmer’s market, sell eggs door-to-door, make pies and poffertjes for everybody in sight, no middlemen, talk suicides down from precipices, grab toddlers out of harm’s way when they wander lost on busy roads, the fact that I’d happily do just about anything for people, anything, even spend time with them, if they’d just stop hurting my feelings, De pony bein’ berry shy , more poffertjes, more, the fact that everybody wants more, “Please, sir,” okay, okay, hold your horses, syrup, ouch, hurt, hurts, “non-bruising encounters,” the fact that even with Cathy I still worry about what we’ll say to each other, every time we talk, or if she’ll even want to speak to me, and I’m so shy,

>> No.14231710

>>14231683
Read this message, then re-read it in case you don’t fully understand my message. She has never, and will never promote Ducks, Newburyport on 4channel, let alone post here, only to get criticized by some fool who’s probably never even read joyce, clear posturing. Her new book is changing the course of history, reinventing the very concept of a novel. It’s the sort of book that will be studied for generations, each syllable worth a month repeating. She isn’t posting here, and if she did she’d never defend herself like this. Just know that.

>> No.14231718

>>14231671
Ah yess, Gass and Gaddis! Of course, how couldn’t have I seen it, real books!
But remember amigo.... back when the recognitions was released it was objurgated to a pulp and if it wasn’t for the few that decided to give it a shot, try to find the beauty in it... I dare not even finish the thought.

Anyways, I’m liking it so far, and enough respectable minds I know have said it’s great too, so imma log out for now gamers and keep reading, but feel free to chastise her and what not

>> No.14231719

>>14231693
No you haven’t.

>> No.14231723

>>14231706
She's also a big fan of lists.

>then we’ll go further West of there, the Western Expansion, to Spoon Creek maybe, Mill Creek, Little Mill Creek, Turkey Run, Doughty Creek, Laurel Creek, Bucklew Creek, Killbuck Creek, the Walhonding and Muskingum, and the Little Muskingum, which is completely different from the Muskingum, and Crooked Run, Morgan Run, Bacon Run, Rock Run, Robinson Run, Mill Fork, Moscow Brook, Sand Fork, Simmons Run, Dickinson Run, Little Wakatomika Creek, Flint Run, Fivemile Run, Symmes Creek, Prairie Fork, Beech Run, and then, if we can find them, we’ll try Big Seweekly Creek, Duck Run, Big Beaver Creek, Little Beaver Creek, Raccoon Creek, Mildew Creek, Little Yellow Creek, Big Yellow Creek, Crookston’s Run, King’s Creek, Will’s Creek, Harman’s Creek, Mingo Bottom Creek, Indian Cross Creek, McMahon’s Creek, Big Grave Creek, Captina Creek, Fish Creek, Sunfish Creek, Opossum Creek, Proctor’s run, Fishing Creek, Stoney Creek, Bull Creek, Duck Creek, Little Kenhawa River, Great Hocking River, Lee’s Creek, Devil’s Hole, Shade River, Little Sandy Creek, Big Sandy Creek, Tanner’s Run, tanning, cobbling, damson p-p-pits, Letart’s Rapids, West Creek, Dunham’s Run, Sliding Hill Creek, Nailor’s Branch, Leading Creek, Ten Mile Creek, Campaign Creek, Great Kenhawa River, Meridian Creek, Eighteen Mile Creek, Swan Creek, Little Guyundat Creek, Green Bottom Ripple, Federal Creek, Nine Mile Creek, Seven Mile Creek, Big Guyandot River, Buffalo Creek, Ten Pole Creek, Twelve Pole Creek, Tottery River, Hood’s Creek, Ice Creek, Stoner’s Creek, Little Sciota River, Tyger’s Creek, Big Sciota River, Conoconneque Creek, Salt Creek, Quick’s Run, Pond Run, Stout’s Run, Sycamore Creek, Crooked Creek, Cabin Creek, William Brooke’s Creek, Limestone Creek, Eagle Creek, Straight Creek, White Oak Creek, Bracken Creek, Bullskin Creek, Bear Creek, Big Indian Creek, Little Indian Creek, Cross Creek, Muddy Creek, Little Miami River, Crawfish Creek, Deer Creek, Licking River, kissing cousins, Great Miami River, Laughrey’s Creek, Gunpowder Creek, Big Bone Lick Creek, Kentucky River, Little Kentucky River, Bear Grass Creek, Salt River, Otter Creek, Doe Run, Falling Spring, French Creek, Buck Creek, Wyandot Creek, Big Blue River, Helm’s Creek, Little Yellow Bank Creek, Harden’s Creek, Flint Island, Clover Creek, Anderson’s River, Blackford Creek, Green River, Pidgeon Creek, Highland Creek, Wabash River, Saline River, Grand Pierre Creek, Cherokee River, and Cash River, the fact that that oughtta do for now, for crying out loud, the fact that I can’t keep track of where we’ve already gone but Ben has it written down somewhere, the fact that he’s so organized, the fact that I don’t think he feels emasculated, the fact that my favorite river names are the Monongahela and the Younghiogheny, but those are both in Pennsylvania so they don’t count, at least for Ben’s pollution study,

>> No.14231727

>>14231706
Is this a quote from the book or exaggerated shitpost? If the latter, well done. If the former, jesus

>> No.14231743

>>14231718
I'm aware and feel there's zero risk in ignoring Lucy Ellman. There's too many other authors of vastly greater talent.

>> No.14231754

>>14231727
It's real quotes from the ebook version of it.

Here's some more:
>the fact that David Attenborough really seems to care about plants and animals, and he makes you feel like you’re right there with him, the fact that Obama consulted David Attenborough about climate change, Flint, Bo on the White House lawn, Michelle’s vegetable patch, Malia, Melania, Stacy, the fact that Michelle is really tall, the fact that she’s about six feet, the fact that I wonder what’ll happen to the White House vegetable patch now, the fact that the Trumps have probably trampled it, on purpose, or turned it into a miniature golf course, the fact that Melania doesn’t seem much like the outdoorsy type, the fact that I can’t see her with a trowel digging potatoes, unless it was some punishment Trump thought up, corpse flower, the fact that Leo can’t stand David Attenborough and his plant show, and doesn’t see why I bought the DVDs, but they were on sale, and they were great when I was sick, the fact that he may hate Richard Attenborough even more than he hates David Attenborough, the fact that I don’t know why exactly, maybe because of Gandhi, the fact that he says Richard Attenborough is a feeb and David Attenborough doesn’t know what he’s talking about, the fact that Leo doesn’t think David Attenborough knows a thing about plants, the fact that he just does what he’s told by BBC TV, the fact that Leo thinks David Attenborough will cover plants or mammals or fish or insects or birds or tornadoes and whatever’s leftover, if they tell him to, and that he’s just in it for the money, the fact that Leo rails against David Attenborough, David Attenborough’s show, David Atten borough’s appearance, David Attenborough’s ignorance, David Attenborough’s manner, David Attenborough’s hair, David Attenborough’s voice, which is dubbed, Leo says, David Attenborough’s hypocrisy, David Attenborough’s English accent, and just everything else about David Attenborough that he can think of, the fact that it’s really reached the point where I try never to mention David Attenborough to Leo, or the plant show, or even plants, in case it riles him, the fact that Leo threw out all our radishes and celery the other day, from the fridge, and that riled me, because they were still okay, though past their date, Bettina, Moira, that Peolia student who helped me when I fell down, the fact that I sort of have to watch David Attenborough’s plant show in secret now, and because of that I haven’t seen it for a long time, the fact that I find it kind of comforting, I don’t know why, the fact that lots of people get into botany in later life, or bonsai, the fact that plants don’t move much, unless they speed up the film, so it’s usually a pretty restful show to watch, like golf can be sometimes, if you have to watch it, amorphous phallus, the fact that bananas grow from a corm,

>> No.14231763

>>14231718
>I'm on the ground floor of the next Ulysses, guys!
Imagine being so warped by Start-up valor and VC perspectives that one need only "give it a shot" and fork over your money and you too can be like Lucy's dad and participate in literary history and become the bold, brave READER you always knew you were meant to be

>> No.14231772

>>14231754
Ellman's previous book was published in 2013 so she clearly just spent 6 years writing out whatever came to mind at the time.

>the fact that everybody passes away in Double Indemnity, except maybe Edward G. Robinson, the fact that Fred MacMurray was not a very nice guy, in real life, the fact that he betrayed someone, I think it was Mitchell Leisen, the fact that Mitchell Leisen needed money bad and Fred MacMurray wouldn’t give it to him, and he was mean about it too or something, the fact that I can’t really remember anymore, the fact that Fred MacMurray plays a bad guy in The Apartment, and a guy who turns bad in Double Indemnity, but in that other one, There’s Always Tomorrow, he’s just a poor neglected husband, the fact that he ends up staying with his wife that time instead of running off with Barbara Stanwyck, Rex the Walkie-Talkie Robot Man, Hollywood Spats, Spats in Some Like It Hot, “Zowie!”, “Goodbye, Charlie,” the fact that The Sound of Music has such a gloomy undercurrent, I don’t know why, the fact that, to me, Nazis seem a bit out of place in a light musical, but maybe that’s just me, the fact that America has a pretty gloomy undercurrent these days, I’m just wild about animal crackers! , Gnadenhutten, the broken Wedgwood pitcher, galoshes, PFOAs, Jason Bourne, the fact that a man just dropped a three-year-old girl from a bridge over the Tuscarawas, but she’s going to be okay, “Edelweiss,” Christopher Plummer, Molotov cocktail, the fact that her wrist was broken but she’s all right otherwise, the fact that the dad jumped too, and he survived too, the fact that he’s now under arrest for attempted murder, the fact that first he dangled the little girl over the bridge, while the police tried to talk him out of it, and then he let her fall, broken wrist, broken, the fact that, according to the self-defense book, if a man bothers you in a movie theater, you’re supposed to try to talk him out of it, and if that fails, you just start pulling the hairs at his temple, his temple, chapel, nuns, the fact that if that fails, you pull one end of his tie tight, so it starts to choke him, the fact that I don’t think that’ll work, because most men in Ohio don’t wear ties anymore, the fact that this is the trouble with a self-defense manual from the seventies, the fact that the clothes are all out of date, long hair, damp towel, countertop, long hair, the fact that some men have such a temple, I mean temper, the fact that Maria von Trapp had a temper too, the fact that she was famous for it, the fact that she was a bit of a toughie, apparently, plaster of Paris, the fact that I don’t think Julie Andrews conveys Maria’s dark side, the fact that she’s too busy serenading the woods, Austrian-style, the fact that the woman who shot both her daughters in Texas was just in a “bad mood,” nun shaking Mommy, PTA,

>> No.14231785

>>14231763
Credit where it’s due, the marketing is fantastic, skip the book but just appreciate how enticing they made it to pseuds

>> No.14231804

>>14231754
Now, I won’t pretend I’m able to read Ulysses (and have yet to even attempt it), but this seems pretty shitty. Although I suppose I can’t get any overall messages without reading the whole work, and especially not with just a few passages.

>> No.14231809

>>14231706
>>14231754
>>14231772
If I read "the fact that" one more time I'm going to punch a puppy. This is legitimately agonizing.

>> No.14231811

>>14231785
All marketing is "fantastic" in this day and age. What are you admiring? What distinguishes this book from Twilight? From the countless derivatives? From a cheeseburger? Americans are programmed to eat food made viable only by daily statin pills and the marketing tells them they are winning. Americans have wars marketed to them and they think that's fantastic too, I'd bet. "Marketing" may be something as chilling to us soon as "Al Qaeda"

>> No.14231842

>>14231811
That’s true, I think fantastic was the wrong word to use. I find the angle used to promote this book interesting, fetishizing the feeling of missing out. Making you feel as though buying it will somehow cement you in history. Trying to convince you that reading and appreciating this book will allow you to become one of the few able to realize the genius before the masses. I’m sure this isn’t the first time for this, but it’s fascinating in a morbid sense.

>> No.14231846

>>14231809
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

>> No.14231870
File: 1010 KB, 2017x1901, 64F4C5DF-474E-4E5A-9240-0C9867626D3F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14231652

>> No.14231947

>>14231870
Need to start a Duckbros movement, with pretentious dudebros professing their love for Ducks Newburyport. Maybe we can get articles complaining about them rather than the Infinite Jest fanboys that book writers usually moan about.

>> No.14231960

>>14231672
Holy fucking shit imagine being this stupid.

>> No.14231970

>>14231870
Holy shit an actual duxboy

>> No.14231991

>>14231947
This is a good angle. Incels are hounding YouTubers for "Hysterical Literature" inspired readings of Ducks, wagering heavy crypto in edging races to see how long they last, careful to mark the latest "the fact that" which triggered their climax, maybe even coming up with derivative slang nicknames and verbs based on which Ellman line they ejaculated during. Maybe the incels discover a fap pattern or coda in Ducks that opens to incels such masturbatory ecstasies they feel they're having sex.

>> No.14232013

>>14231870
Real life coomer aesthetic

>> No.14232016

>>14231947
I can imagine it now. Unwashed 20 somethings saying shit like “Punctuation is such an unnecessary restriction”. They’d get “the fact that” tattooed somewhere, or at least have it in their instagram bio.

>> No.14232020

>>14230815
If you Duckbois don't GTFO, someone is bound to find a pasta having to do with Lucy's experiments with brap play early in life.

>> No.14232038

Lucy Ellman has kept her bare feet from public view all her life. What is she hiding?

>> No.14232280

>>14231710
ok Lucy

>> No.14232406

>>14232280
Stop. Seriously fucking stop. It isn’t funny. I am not Lucy, I don’t have her visionary scope nor her blistering social critiques. Even if I was, which I am not, I would never post here. Do not make a joke, answer me yes or no, do you still believe I am Lucy Ellmann?

>> No.14232419

>>14232406
i believe lucy ellman has a gross pussy

>> No.14232436

>>14232419
Hahaha, that’s not answering my question. I don’t know if i agree either, I think her vagina is adequate, age is a factor yes but someone of her status surely maintains and trims her vagina hair. I think it is impressive for my age, but it’s not as good as some young supermodel’s vagina. I would say she has an acceptable vagina. Just a guess. Her feet are the real treat anyway ;)

>> No.14232488

>>14231623
It does have punctuation though, false advertising. I just flipped through it in the book store the other day and there certainly are some periods. Some parts of the book though look drastically different from other parts, small wonder coming from the daughter of a Joyce scholar

>> No.14232538

I'm ESL and I'm not familliar with long phrase without verb. On the other hand DFW is comfy tonread because they keep a strict grammar.

>> No.14232554

>>14231723
Do average /lit/ users understand all these references?

>> No.14232558

>>14231628
>almost fucking 2020
>on 4chan
>buying anything
What is it like being retarded?

>> No.14232642

>>14232554
American geography fans maybe. All I know is LA to the left, NY to the right, and Texas down below somewhere.

>> No.14233182

>>14230815
If you doubt her ability as a writer seek out some of her older works. She clearly knows how to write and is blessed with wit and humor, of which Ducks, Newburyport is filled as well. I haven't started it in full but read the first 50 pages as a taste test and thoroughly enjoyed the writing, wit, humor and melancholy. Her repetition of 'the fact that' acts as the book's sentence structure and is easily identified and followed. Given enough time it will become a new generation of young literary snob's Infinite Jest, though I imagine its most fervent admirers will be women.

tl;dr: it's more than a meme. There is enough to genuinely admire and recognize in the opening pages. I'll also say that of the many works of fiction released in the past decade each somehow becoming praised as a "perfect reflection of our times," this one is the only novel to actually feel close to that mark.

>> No.14233485

>>14233182
You are so full of shit

>> No.14233533

What she writes seems on par with Joyce's gibberish, I don't get all the hate

>> No.14233565

>>14233182
>Given enough time it will become a new generation of young literary snob's Infinite Jest

I agree

>> No.14233626

>>14230815
the fact that this book was written by a woman, the fact that this book was written in english, the fact that the only thing people talk about when they discuss this book is this meme gimmick, these facts tell me it's probably not worth my time

>> No.14233649

>>14231674
I don't get it

>> No.14233673
File: 23 KB, 500x375, 1351662969490.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14233182
Well crafted bait, 6.5/10.

>> No.14233871

>>14233673
shut up nerd

>> No.14233877

>>14233182
>Given enough time it will become a new generation of young literary snob's Infinite Jest

It's about as bad as IJ, so you're probably right.

>> No.14233976

>>14231846
>>14231772
>>14231754
>>14231723
A mind infected by pop culture factoids
It's the most repulsive thing i've ever seen

>> No.14233990

>>14233485
>>14233673
If you want a glimpse of her ability, I recommend Dot in the Universe. I was aware of Ellmann before this book and only decided to give it a try when I happened past it at my local library. The opening passage has nothing to do with the 'the fact that' gimmick and is an example of perfectly pitched writing. Joyce lures readers in with narrative familiarity for three chapters before going full Ulysses mode; Ellmann writes two pages of a mountain lion tending to her cubs before rocketing off into her book's gimmick. Within that time you're catching glimpses of her obsessions, worries, distractions, shortcomings as a mother, and her self-awareness of her self-awareness colllapsing in on itself. I don't know if it gets better or worse, but if you appreciate craftsmanship and can recognize the hidden punctuation points (which isn't difficult; she makes it easy), there's clear talent between the unmitigated clauses. I don't know if /lit/'s uppity about the book because it's apparently successful with the hip lit snob crowd or because it's a woman. But there's nothing wrong with the book. Had Infinite Jest not arrived with at least a decade's worth of hype and clique appreciation, 95% of the readers on this board who fellate the book would never have made it past the first chapter. Most of you can't read without first receiving the approval of a crowd.

>>14233565
>>14233877
I liked Infinite Jest. I've never once considered DFW a martyr and found all of his pontificating to be some of the faggiest, most transparently asinine bullshit I've ever come across, but it was clear why he eventually found an audience with adrift college kids. But I enjoyed his hyperactive blogger style as it worked in IJ. I can say with 100% confidence that the 50 pages I read of Ducks showed more insight and understanding of the human psyche than DFW's shit. He's all style and a puddle of substance. Ducks is needless gimmick bound together by obsession of psyche as influenced by our day's information overload. The PoV is closer to Bloom than Hal. Ulyssess is still the most difficult to access. Ducks may or not deploy other techniques, but there are books I want to read in full before I give it my full attention. That said, I stand by my statement that Infinite Jest just met its female counterpart. I also stand by the fact that if the first 50 pages are anything to go by, Ducks is the better book. Ellmann was already the better writer.

>> No.14234018

>>14233182
This.

Sincerely one of the greatest books I have read in the past 5-10 years. Will become a yearly or seasonal read for me.

>> No.14234088

>>14230815
pointless...

>> No.14234252

>>14233990
Facts.

>> No.14234280

>>14231599
Underrated post

>> No.14234400

>>14233990
I'm glad you clarified how thoroughly filtered you were by Professor Wallace.

>> No.14234419

>>14231552
This.

>> No.14234427

>>14231552
What's the best scanning method? Are there commercial book scanners you can rent?

>> No.14234440

/lit/ I will make a promise to you that I'll create an ai that writes trash like this and then promote it to become a bestseller.
The worst thing you won't even know if it is ironic.

>> No.14234445

>>14232406
Low quality bait but you've hooked somebody so who am I to say anything.

>> No.14234473

>>14234400
>Wallace
>filtering anybody
His fanbase is composed entirely of virgin males under the age of 25 pursuing lit degrees.

>> No.14234478

>>14231846
kek

>> No.14234563

>>14234473
DFW is a great reverse filter. If someone loves his work, you know you're in the presence of an Elliot Rodger type.

>> No.14234572

>>14231846
Too many full stops (periods for you burgers), gives the game away.

>> No.14234581

>>14234572
We know what a full stop is. It's not like you guys speak some magic lingo wholly unaccessible to us.

>> No.14234604 [DELETED] 

>>14231652
>modern Ulysses

You mean Infinite Jest

>> No.14234706

>>14234440
gpt2 bruh

>> No.14234738
File: 77 KB, 640x640, 11379793_925718814153747_1752421966_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Megan Boyle is kinda a young Lucy Ellman.
>Jewish-Irish
>Connected to literary establishment via sex
>Comely pale feets untouched by destructive heels
I wonder if Lucy Ellman showers as rarely as Megan.

>> No.14234742
File: 95 KB, 892x892, 12276818_1529373434053657_56445287_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if this photo were black and white, you'd swear it was a young Lucy Ellman

>> No.14234921
File: 106 KB, 640x640, 10518287_917053971643893_1447542997_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lucy Ellman and Megan Boyle are both exemplars of the based literary Fempire ruling the 2010s. Men are too busy with pornography and bing bing wahoo to do much for the arts these days, so as usual, women have to pick up the slack.

>> No.14234923

>>14234921
>Men are too busy with pornography and bing bing wahoo to do much for the arts these days
unironically this

>> No.14234932

>>14231772
I’m guessing you also rate hour long symphony’s by citing 30 seconds of the piece huh?

>>14231763
Lol bro chill out what are you on about >>14231785
marketing? Lmao outside this small board of a few readers, go to any bookstore and I’m sure you will get a response to the tune ducks..? What about a duck?

>>14232016
Nah, but you listen to AX7 and Metallica lmao

>>14233565
And?

>> No.14234937

>>14234921
Is this how you cope?

>> No.14234942

>>14234932
I know my Findom is reading Ducks and is making some of her misbehaving slaves do book reports on it. There's a definite audience for this sort of work.

>> No.14234954

>>14234932
>marketing?
some schizo on here with a hateboner for this book has coined the term "duxposting" and proceeds to volley it at everyone who isn't outright shitting on ellmann and/or her book whenever the topic comes up. pay them no mind

>> No.14234979
File: 666 KB, 1034x1053, Ducks, Newburyport feeder fetish fuel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there an obvious connection between Feedees and Ducks? Why are so many of these musky sex blobs enlisted in generating hype for this book?

>> No.14235009

>>14234979
fuckin genius

>> No.14235446

>>14230815
Does anyone have an epub/pdf of this yet? Haven't been able to find one.

>> No.14235467

>The fact that 4chan is an anime website, the fact that pepe and wojack are still pretty funny even though nobody wants to admit it, the fact that nobody knows who draws all those wojacks, and nobody seems to ask, anime, thighs, titties, armpits, stinky feet, the fact that I'm edging right now
I'm really surprised she went there

>> No.14235499

>>14234921
Good, too long has the novel canon been strictly phallocentric. Also, have you completely forgotten Krasznahorkai, Orange, Handke, or Consarnau... yeah so be gone...

>> No.14235516 [SPOILER] 
File: 289 KB, 1044x998, 1574718176156.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what timeline did I wind up on

>> No.14235589

>>14235516
Nice photoshop, and Is this what you do in your free time???? I feel sorry for you.

>> No.14235604 [SPOILER] 
File: 848 KB, 1198x1127, 1574719191128.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.14235608

>>14234954
>new ducks posts appear about once a week, like clockwork
>OP includes photo + positive appraisal with every post, samefags like mad to boost appraisal
>this despite /lit/'s generally negative response to the book and author

I dont really care either way, but if you deny that someone is pumping some marketing scheme with these posts, bro, you're either part of the plan or blind. I liked /lit/ better back when it collectively called out shilling .....

>> No.14235681

>>14231870
he wouldn't be all that bad looking if he shaved his head just sayin

>> No.14235685

>>14235589
So much emotion is laden in your question marks.

>> No.14235695

>>14234954
>schizo
I love the words you xirple resort to now that your masters have hobbled your vocabularies

>> No.14235736

>>14235685
Quit sucking me and let this thread die peacefully already

>> No.14235760

>>14235446
Check mobilism.

>> No.14235827
File: 755 KB, 1031x980, ducks feeder hype2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.14235897

>>14234563
>>14234473
>I-I d-d-didn't get f-f-f-f-f-filtered
I don't want to tell you to live with more regrets, anon, but If you had simply abstained from so poorly assailing Professor Wallace, your standing ITT would have been much higher.

>> No.14235924

>>14231804
Ulysses is varied, but coherent. It never really repeats itself, and if it does it never grates. This seems like a diary being published with no editing.

>> No.14235996
File: 442 KB, 685x661, mary karr is so hot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14235924
It reminds me of the Madame Psychosis portions of IJ where shes reading medical terminology, but truth be told, the parts of IJ that strike my emotions are not that.
I know its asking a great deal, but I wish more authors would seek to prescribe, take stake in right now, even fuck, as one might say. I think literature that does not cross our noumenal thresholds and give direction or greater insight, bestowing power to the reader on behalf of the work of the author, those lesser works will be separated during our era, differentiated from that which does succeed in this way, namely because we are so desperate for authors to take that risk, for authors to seek that missing innoculant to the "everythings-great-just-chill-and-buy" mantra essential to American society, to lay it bare, maybe destroy it, undermine it, upend it, but show us also the seedlings in the ashes, the stronger patterns, the hidden glacial forces that may be our salvation. Having read, Ducks, Newburyport, the ride was unique, but the author avoided saying anything of powerful note. Its like you're viewing the geriatric witness to the singularity where were told nothing makes sense afterwards and the book seems the product of someone struck in that way by now.

>> No.14236108

>>14235608
paranoid, conformist AND retarded, we've got a triple threat here

>> No.14236162

>>14236108
I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with that kiddo... worse than my conspiracy theory uncle rambling about Pokémon Go and the eternal Jew

>> No.14236246

>>14230815
First time I've heard about this book, it's a fascinating concept, though I don't think it's for me at this time.

>> No.14236249

>>14234979
>>14235516
>>14235604
>>14235827
phenomenal & saved

>> No.14236250

>>14236108
>Retarded
When you types brandish this word, you know you've been painted into a corner, bunkered, suppressed, flanked and fucked. Overwhelmed, thrashing and sputtering you reach for one of those forbidden words, hoping you still know how to wield it.

>> No.14236264

>>14230815
is this a postmodern book?

>> No.14236275

>>14235897
A Supreme Gentleman can always be counted upon to compose his thoughts like a supreme faggot. Shut up, moron.

>> No.14236279
File: 19 KB, 367x500, 1549775851165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>When you types brandish this word, you know you've been painted into a corner, bunkered, suppressed, flanked and fucked. Overwhelmed, thrashing and sputtering you reach for one of those forbidden words, hoping you still know how to wield it.

>> No.14236284

>>14236264
all books are postmodern

>> No.14236287
File: 6 KB, 224x225, 1436A681-EFA8-4D9D-8F56-A5F1FBF7A23C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14230815
>female author
Dropped

>> No.14236326

>>14236275
Your attempts at humor are one dimensional at best, and even then fall flat. Surely you know deep down none of what you posted was the least bit stimulatory, let alone revealing. You are a thread bumper, the imageboard equivalent of the guy who washes the fluffer's mouth with Gatorade. Why would "Elliot Roger" or "supreme gentlemen" references affect someone? Did you think these have some power? I'm here to tell you they label you in perhaps a way you do not perceive. Read more, Anon. This place seems to be rotting you.

>> No.14236333

>consists of mostly a single sentence, running over more than 1000 pages

Imagine reading a 1000 page gimmick book

>> No.14236346

>>14231523
I enjoy your prose.

>> No.14236403
File: 62 KB, 450x532, 866E5192-4FCE-4B03-BF91-603E06119C34.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14236326
> Your attempts at humor are one dimensional at best, and even then fall flat. Surely you know deep down none of what you posted was the least bit stimulatory, let alone revealing. You are a thread bumper, the imageboard equivalent of the guy who washes the fluffer's mouth with Gatorade. Why would "Elliot Roger" or "supreme gentlemen" references affect someone? Did you think these have some power? I'm here to tell you they label you in perhaps a way you do not perceive. Read more, Anon. This place seems to be rotting you.

>> No.14236639
File: 24 KB, 803x918, 7A95F045-363A-419D-894C-68939F564364.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14234979
I “ducking” love this board sometimes. Holy shit.

>> No.14236749

>>14231846
this is what i was waiting for

>> No.14236775

>>14235516
how do you guys find this shit jesus christ

>> No.14237142

>>14235516
a cutting-edge promotion strategy for a cutting-edge book. genius

>> No.14237432

>>14231947
The "literature bro" stereotype is on life support right now, older millennial women have worked their way into positions in media but haven't updated their stereotypes in over a decade, so now every netflix show and twitter feed reflexively jokes about Bukowski and DLF bros that honestly have not exist in 15-20 years. But because people in media are infatuated with their own perceived cleverness (even if it is a borrowed joke), and in denial about their declining cultural relevancy (and aging in general), they must absolutely INSIST on using the older, outmoded literature bro stereotype. They cannot admit it is from 2005, and referring to a distinctive type of guy that was last around in the 90s. In fact, judging by their ages and histrionic social media rage about relationships with age gaps, I would venture it was likely an older guy many of these women dated in college (they all went to NYU, of course), and have grown to resent for personal reasons, so every joke is a form of L'esprit de l'escalier, a personal disavowal of their own youthful naivete, with perhaps a touch of repressed insecurity about their own diminishing desirability...

>> No.14237455

>>14230815
>Buy book
>Take picture of book
>Post picture online of having bought a book you haven't read

>> No.14237676

>>14237432
Thank you for pointing this out, anon. Lucid and powerful.

>> No.14238127

>>14233533
Same vain, vastly lower quality.

>> No.14238144

>>14231523
Is this how you farm (you)s on /lit/?

>> No.14238151

>>14237432
excellent post

>> No.14238155

>>14231599
100% you ran the first sentance of this as a seed for an AI word processor

>> No.14238164

>>14238144
It's how one speaks truth. (You)s are inconsequential. The devil often adorns nonsense with (You)s too so be careful, Anon.

>> No.14238231

>>14231706
>>14231723
>>14231754
Why would anybody read this?
It seems as about as enjoyable as reading an encyclopedia front to back but without the educational benefit.

>> No.14238309
File: 334 KB, 1014x605, fat cow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14234979
>>14235516
>>14235604
Every now and then i fall into an obscure corner of information tucked away on the internet. Interesting, odd, or grotesque, whatever it is it leaves you in wonder in how something like it exists.
4chan has hardened me, and I rarely get that feeling anymore. But this thread has suprised me.

>> No.14238316

>>14236108
Call him a skizo and youll have followed the playbook perfectly

>> No.14238494

>>14238316
>Skizo
Why do ESL zoomers prefer this term? Is it their crypto term for "retard?

>> No.14238505

>>14230815
I don't read female authors

>> No.14238516

>>14238505
This. I always picture the authorette guffawing with Chad as they chide the uggos buying her book.

>> No.14238704

>>14238494
Its a pretty common gaslighting play. Its been in use on /pol/ for a while, but it will just get you called a rabbi

>> No.14238737

>>14231599
based

>> No.14239056

>>14234427
Chop that mother fucker up and feed it into a workplace industrial scanner /copier

>> No.14239063

>>14232436
I believe this thread is a waste of braincells. Peace.

>> No.14239065

>>14238316
>>14238494
paranoid, schizo, and retard are all good and valid insults but please do not confuse them they mean very different/specific things

>> No.14239125

>>14234427
please don't waste electricity scanning that low iq drivel

>> No.14239155

>>14234921
>stream of consciousness
>art

this femoid shit is just another version of slinging paint at a canvas randomly and calling it inspired. oooga booga woowooo

>> No.14239926

>>14234921
he’s right u know

>> No.14239929

>GEORGETOWN, British Guiana—Most of the people in this colony refer to it as “B.G.” However, it is often a moot point whether the initials stand for British Guiana or Booker Group.
>This is because the big London‐based Booker Group is the colony's largest landlord, manufacturer, retailer and employer, and has been for most of its 185‐year history.
>To many, the story of Booker Brothers, McConnell & Co., Ltd., its present official name, might have come from the pen of Joseph Conrad.
>It began in 1780, when Curtis Campbell came here to plant sugar and added storekeeping to his interests. The first Booker, Josias, came in 1815, and John McConnell came in 1846.
>Although usually indentified with sugar, rum and retailing in the West Indies, Booker makes auto parts in western Canada, operates supermarkets in England, produces sugar machinery in India, manufactures plumbing fixtures in Belgium and operates plantations in Africa, to name just a few of its 100‐odd business units.

>Presiding over this vast empire is 53‐year‐old Sir Jock Campbell, chairman of the group and descendent of Curtis Campbell.
>Since he assumed the chairmanship in 1952, the unconventional industrialist has concentrated on three goals: reorganization of the group, improving the lot of its employes here and diversifying its interests.
>Discussing its recent reorganization, Antony Tasker, chief of Booker operations in British Guiana, told a visitor recently
>“The group just grew over the years, filling vacuums. It was anarchy, plain and simple. Each company had its own czar and their contact among each other was often nonexistent.

>“Today, we have broken the mess into five basic categories—tropical agriculture, shops and wholesale distribution, engineering and industries, rum and produce, and shipping. Each group is controlled by a separate company.”

>Sir Jock, meanwhile, has also been concerned with working conditions at its British Guiana enterprises. In a speech at the London School of Economics, of which he is a governor, he said a few years ago:
>“On my first visit in 1934, I was as appalled as I was fascinated by the sugar industry. The workers were treated as chattels. I was told either I did not understand or that “they are a different sort of people'.”
>He ended his description of the human degradation he found here by adding: “Furthermore, Bookers in British Guiana were heartily disliked by the whole community and by many of their own employes.”

>> No.14241103

>>14233990
You're acting like its not 1000 fucking pages anon. Modern literature is such a shit show you'd be crazy not to wait a decade for each "hyped" release.

>> No.14241290

>>14233990
>those bejumbled Joyce comparisons
I wish it worked that way, anon.