[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1019 KB, 864x695, firefox_u2o1vJvt6t.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14225924 No.14225924 [Reply] [Original]

Do I have to quit videogames to become a real /lit/erate? Do you play vidya, /lit/? Is it possible to conciliate vidya and literature?

>> No.14225928

>>14225924
I don't care what you do. You can die for all that I care.

>> No.14225957

>>14225924
Ideally you should've grown out of videogames at 16. Leave it any later and you're at risk of the habit metastasizing

>> No.14225958

>>14225928

>>>/b/ go here, it's the right place for totally brainlet like you

>> No.14225967

who is woman. i wish to masturbate to her

>> No.14225970
File: 107 KB, 600x755, skyrimbooks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225924
>not reading books within vidya games
>absolute pleb tier

>> No.14225973

>>14225958
The OP's question is stupid brainlet shit itself. Why don't you and OP go to hell instead? Asking about simple time management on a /lit/ imageboard is unbelievably stupid and off-topic.

Slit your fucking throat, you ingrate.

>> No.14225977

>>14225967
Sex for recreational purposes is bad. The only place you belong in is in the ditch. Kys.

>> No.14225986

>>14225973
I agree.

>> No.14225988

>>14225957
OP here, well that's true desu. I quit vidya when I was 21, however sometimes I relapse and pass some hours of the weekend playing vidya. It always feel awful, I could have spent those hours listening to music, doing sports or reading good books.
I'm trying to foster acceptance because is a proved way to grow up from your errors, but that's hard. It was easier to quit smoking.

>>14225967
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUVcGREcr1qKZPvedXPv4SA her hands are beautiful

>>14225970
Played Skirim twice, not my vidya genre.

>> No.14225996

>>14225924
Do I have to quit walking to become a real /lit/erate? Do you walk, /lit/? Is it possible to conciliate walking and literature?

>> No.14226004

>>14225996
Walking helps you thinking clearly. Vidya not.

>> No.14226018

>>14226004
https://culture.vg/features/art-theory/on-the-genealogy-of-art-games.html

>> No.14226038

>>14226004
Yep.

30 yo anon here - I play some games every 2-3 months (single player games which I sell immediately after), but I can't force myself to give up a habit of checking vidya news every day. It's like an addiction, because most games are shit nowadays, so I don't know why I do that. I feel like I still live more with the idea of liking this stuff, than actually playing them, which - in many cases - feel like a waste of time (especially open world games, fuck them).

>>14225924
You don't need to do anything. Who do you think is a real literate?

>> No.14226050

you just have to play intellectual games like Death Stranding

>> No.14226053

>>14226038
OP here, finally a sane reply.
I can feel your addiction, because I like to watch gameplay on Youtube of new games, which I think is even worse than gaming because is more passive. A total brainlet wasting of time.

> You don't need to do anything. Who do you think is a real literate?
I already spend several time reading books and doing other stuff, however internet addiction (fuck 4chan shitposts lurking) and vidya addiction sometimes strike back. I feel enslaved from those activities and I would like to grow up. My thinking brain knows how bad and useless those activities are, however my feeling brain is still hooked. I can control this addiction for the weekdays because I work, studying, lifting, but during weekend I pass too many time lurking and playing vidya.

>> No.14226055

>>14225996
Novels about the upper class pre-ww1 usually contain a lot of walking scenes so I would say it is indeed a literary activity

>> No.14226059

>>14225924
That completely depends on how much of your time and energy they take up. Obviously if video games are your main hobby, it will be hard to read a lot of literature. If they're only an occasional passtime, it's no big deal.

Do you play video games for more than, say, an hour a day on average? More than that seems like it would really get in the way of reading.

>> No.14226065

>>14226050
i dont play video games but whats the hype around that game

>> No.14226070

>>14226065
don't know haven't played it

>> No.14226076

I'm 30 and I guess I've been trying to live the /lit/ lifestyle for ten years or so (leaving this deliberately vague so I don't take a chance of jerking myself off, but I do take it pretty seriously) and I can't really bring myself to play video games despite being a huge fan and /v/ home boarder until I was 20.

I tried to keep up with them for a couple years but at some point I realized I was forcing it without enjoying it organically. When I was a kid I had to force myself not to re-play my favorite RPGs every month but now I can't even get halfway into a ceremonial playthrough of one of them before forgetting about it. Hell, things I would have killed for back in the day, like new RPGs made by my favorite devs, have all come out since then, and I never got past the first few hours of them.

Aside from those classics and the odd spiritual sequel to them, there's not much that interests me. A few games interest me mechanically, like if someone actually managed to make a massive exploration-based game where the exploration felt weighty and wasn't procedurally generated, I might give it a shot. But all the blockbuster crap seems really bad to me. I have no idea how anyone could bring them to play it. Back when I was 20 I guess I was forcing myself to play it just because it was stimulation, but now that I'm not addicted to that baseline of necessary stimulation anymore, it all seems unusually bad to me.

I can't figure out how anyone can bring themselves to play some Kojima shit or Red Dead Redemption 2, games that seem "fine" at best. It's the same fucking boring mechanic over and over again. Is it really that entertaining to see a couple of interesting scripted sequences? Can you really feel immersed in the game world after you've played the same basic third person shooter fifty thousand times? At least with an online game I can understand there's a community and competitive aspect and it's less about the game itself.

Even the thing I valued most, depth and immersion in the game world, even when it's done really well, it still feels like a pale juvenile comparison to taking an interest in real things, like philosophy, natural philosophy, history, high literature, etc.

>> No.14226086

>>14226076
Pretty much summed up my own story except i was a /tv/ watcher and browser

>> No.14226088

>>14226053
Because freedom can be paralyzing. We live in a society used to consume entertainment and it's hard to get away from that. But it's worth trying!

Like this anon mentioned >>14226004, walking helps you to clear your mind. Couple of days ago I started to imagine the story which could work as a trilogy. I created some characters in my mind and was wandering around the neighbourhood and imagining the scenes, the character arcs, and so on. It was very entertaining, even though I don't feel like I would be capable of handling it and putting it on "paper". From time to time I feel this urge to create something, so then I either draw, or write a short poem or short story. I don't really plan it, but I wait for the appropriate feeling to get me going.
But I get your addiction. It's just so easy to spend time lurking around the webs. Too easy! We spend so much time watching, but not doing. Maybe you've got some creative hobby which you stopped practicing long time ago?

>> No.14226094

>>14225924
Not much for the last year. I got bored of them. Started disco elysium two weeks ago and got hooked. Haven't played for 4 days though. Books are really more interesting

>> No.14226104

I only really read and play videogames as far as digesting anything goes, the occasional film.

good game design can open your mind up to a lot of thigs creatively speaking which is why it's so shit triple AAA is so intent on making it a story telling medium akin to blockbusters

>> No.14226112

>>14225924
I only play Pharaoh (1999).

>> No.14226114
File: 1.40 MB, 4288x2286, 1572646690294.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14226055
Because of television, urbanization and social media we have lost the beauty of walking. No wonder pre-WW1 was the best history period for literature, philosophy, science and medicine. What if walking and thinking is the key for a better world?
Pic partially related

>>14226059
>How much of your time and energy they take up
Not much of time desu, but a lot of energy. I feel drained even after 30 minutes of gaming, the feeling is worse if I play a multiplayer fast paced title. So no, videogames is not my first hobby, I am more concerned about the mindless surfing on the internet and I am realizing it right now. Compared to gaming, It's even HARDER to quit it, I already read some books about the topic (Deep Work, The Shallows, Digital Minimalism) but it still there. I spend too much time on computer doing useless stuff overall (10% vidya, 90% internet addiction). Again, my feeling brain is hooked when my thinking brain knows I am doing bad. This create a cognitive dissonance which hurts me.

>>14226076
> But all the blockbuster crap seems really bad to me
I am even more addicted to blockbuster crap.
> It's the same fucking boring mechanic over and over again
This is why is so addictive. Plus very good advertising
>it still feels like a pale juvenile comparison to taking an interest in real things, like philosophy, natural philosophy, history, high literature, etc.
You nailed it. That's totally true. This is why I think vidya is a total waste of time.

>> No.14226117

>>14226088

> Maybe you've got some creative hobby which you stopped practicing long time ago?

How did you know it?? I quit guitar 4 years ago. I spent less time on the internet back then.

>> No.14226120

27 year old schizoid living back at their mothers and this thread is making me want to put the games down for good but I feel too brain damaged to give up something that so easily balances me usually getting me relaxed enough to read properly

>> No.14226124

>>14226114

I'm slowly making peace with the fact my internet addiction is more like an information based addiction and the fast rate with which the internet provides information means I just cant get enough

>> No.14226166

>>14225924

I'm in the same boat as you OP.
At one point I realized that despite receiving a cocaine high from playing video games, I wasn't truly enjoying them, I was merely satisfying an addiction.
It hurts to see so many people being zombiefied by video games but it seems that more and more are waking up to this fact.

Haven't touched a vidya in half a year but I still regularly browse /v/ and watch vidya-related videos, I get too bored if I were to quit those too, which is something I'm trying to find a remedy to.

>> No.14226184

>>14225924
Yes but it honestly isn’t that hard, at least it wasn’t for me, I just sort of stopped and realised I got more out of reading and exercising
For some reason though I couldn’t reach that point until after I lost my virginity (to a woman), so I didn’t stop vidya until I was like 19 because I’m really bad at approaching women

>> No.14226191
File: 309 KB, 1319x1201, 1574267303872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225988
>Not those large eyes

I wonder what is it like to be loved by girl with large pretty eyes. I would love to drown and get drunk in her eyes like a pond when I feel upset.

>> No.14226197

i played a lot of videogames as a kid but it's not even a desire anymore, shit is extremely boring

i online play multiplayer fps with my highschool friends once every few months

>> No.14226204

>>14226120
never gonna make it with that attitude

>> No.14226244

>>14226117
> How did you know it?? I quit guitar 4 years ago. I spent less time on the internet back then.

Maybe take it out from your basement?
You may not be the same person as you were then, so I wouldn't force myself hard to go back, but maybe it's worth trying.

Actually I'm glad I found this thread. Sometimes I manage to limit my time spent on Internet, but then I go back becasue it's just a easy escape form after 8 (or more) hours of work.

>>14226124
This man, this. This is the same fucking addiction as drinking or smoking. It doesn't destroy your health (or partially it does), but it damages the mind, which is uncapable of clear thinking.

>> No.14226281
File: 3.52 MB, 4160x3120, IMG_20191124_132437771.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14226120
If vidya eases your journey in literature, well, you should play.

>>14226124
This is an interesting point of view. Tell me more, I think we're really on the same boat.

>>14226166
> Haven't touched a vidya in half a year
Congratulation Anon, I still can't make it, but your post give me the inspiration to do it.

>>14226191
My ex had blue eyes like her. It was a pleasure to see them rolling while having gentle sex (love).

>>14226244
> Maybe take it out from your basement?
Last time I tried it was this summer, they are here on the right of my desk (pic). I will give it a try. Thank you so much Anon for your support. I'm glad too for your high quality reply.
> This is the same fucking addiction as drinking or smoking
That's true. It's even WORSE because (1) it doesn't make permanent visible damage (2) it's socially acceptable because anyone do it.

>> No.14226305

>>14226120
We all have our vices. If something helps center you then there is a real argument to be made for making it a part of your life. I don't play vidya anymore but I obviously waste half my fucking life on 4chan. Why? Because it allows me to be part of a community away from normies. Yes, I waste time that I could be spend reading, but it's a balancing act. All things are best in moderation. For example even though I fuck around on 4chan, I try to at least limit myself to good discussions, and not do any egregiously time wastey shit.

>> No.14226328

>>14226281
You're welcome Anon. Or should I say "nie ma za co"? (assuming based on a poster, that you may be polish?).
I'm glad I could help you somehow.

>>14226281
That's right. When I see people swiping on their smartphones in public places I feel I should be better and not do it. But then when I take a train or something I can't resist not to check my phone. I stopped even justifying my behaviour, thinking "well, that's the times we live in". This is truly disgusting.

>> No.14226349

As a final comment let me post this inspirational clip of Sir Ian McKellen reading phenomenal Kurt Vonnegut's letter. Have a great day Anons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgh7R_saOtg

>> No.14226376

>>14226065
Do you know the delivering quests in games where you travel to one place to deliver something to an NPC? Imagine an entire game where you just do that except you also need to prepare for the journey and fight off monsters as well as bandits. If you think that's boring there's also the fact that cutscenes are longer than the gameplay and the story isn't even that good because Kojima is a hack

>> No.14226407

>>14226076
Very well-put. Unfortunately, I'm still dependent on video games despite knowing that it is personally an addictive distraction.
>RDR2, Death Stranding, etc.
I've realized that the conditions of production mean that the game I'd like to see will never be developed. For example, I was pretty disappointed when Minecraft failed to be refined into a truly great game; an aesthetic experience of play that isn't reliant on things like dungeons, dragons, item progression, an "ending", etc. There's something magical about Minecraft, and it's depressing that rather than capitalizing on the connected experiences of exploration and creation, they made "lol now there's a dragon, now there's pandas, now there's bees".
I think really great games come along very rarely. Stuff like Journey, or Hotline Miami, or Shadow of the Colossus. These really polished, refined aesthetic experiences that are made possible by the medium. I do not play a lot of modern video games for this reason, and the ones I do play I tend to play socially or competitively because those qualities aren't as directly dependent on the game's mechanics.

I actually have an aversion to better media because it reminds me that I am not truly alive, whereas with games I can still get that guilty dopamine drip - even when I'm aware it's hollow. Man, I was happier when I was reading every day..

>> No.14226431

>>14226053
You seem to want to break off your video game "addiction" or whatever it is and achieve something in life but what exactly are you aiming to achieve? What are you aiming to create? Anything which will impact the world in a global scale positively? If not then it doesn't matter what you do because there's no point in trying to improve yourself if you don't use that improvement to actually create something. Improvement for the sake of improving sounds like you are taking part of a dick measuring contest so you can say "Wow look how much of an adult I am".

>> No.14226432

>>14226407
>There's something magical about Minecraft, and it's depressing that rather than capitalizing on the connected experiences of exploration and creation
Play Rust.

>> No.14226457

>>14226065
>Kojima is considered the prototypical video game auteur for his work on Metal Gear Solid
>Gets fired from Konami, which has historically constrained him
>Working with Sony, carte blanche
>Death Stranding is the result
It's basically a pretentious Westaboo's wet dream that he's been iterating on since MGS4, which was ridiculed for being a ridiculous movie-game. Without people reigning him in, Kojima created an entirely "new" genre of game that is premised on subjecting the player to an inherently frustrating gameplay loop where you play as an Amazon delivery man dropping off pizza and semen to copy-and-pasted prepper shelters in the a futuristic American dystopia where the country is literally and symbolically disconnected because... technology, man. Also your canteen collects rainwater and converts it into Monster™.

It's basically David Lynch designing a video game, but if he was actually a pretentious hack obsessed with David Bowie and 80s films.

>> No.14226470

>>14226305
Good post

>> No.14226505

>>14226407
Damn, it's weird, I'm the anon you're replying to and I was actually thinking the exact same thing about Minecraft while writing that post but didn't want to say it for fear of being called a homo. I always felt like Minecraft was an insane lost opportunity, like it was only the seed of the game it should have been, and then the game it should have been would then have been the seed for successor games.

It's like someone made a concept and tech demo, but then instead of expanding on the demo's CORE CONCEPT, they started adding extra widgets to the existing demo. Instead of adding new dimensions of content extrapolated from the old, like what Subnautica does on a small scale with its gradually widening scope throughout the game, they only expanded horizontally and linearly. They had how many years of development, how many fanatically devoted (and among them, how many highly talented?) people who would probably have worked for free if asked, and they only ever made such "lateral" moves.

I went back to it after years of not playing, and I laughed when I saw the End and the dragon bullshit. That's exactly what you would do, if you didn't "get" why people and especially kids liked that game in the first place. Why not just make the scope of the world a hundred times bigger? Why not use a clever mixture of procedural generation and hand-crafting to make a world still full of surprises years later, with people still speculating about what's out there? Why not use the continuous development to keep people hooked for years, always adding new dimensions to the content (and not fully detailing everything, but letting people find it for themselves), and cement the project as one of the most famous games of all time for a reason other than that it made a lot of money from preteens?

Instead we got "oh, they added beekeeping." Faggots. I had similar problems with that new Elite game. I considered playing it for a few days until I looked into it and realized that all the real nigga shit, all the crazy exploration I'd really be interested in, would be 5% of the total gameplay, and the other 95% would be typical grinding.

I was also thinking of Journey and SOTC, oddly enough. Two random recommendations for you in case you haven't heard of them: King of Dragon Pass and Ur-Quan Masters (a remaster of Star Control 2).

Another random example of annoying shit: Breath of the Wild. Big game world, that's fine. But no unique structures? When I found out that every temple was an opportunity for a stupid minigame I was shocked. How can you be so dumb? What made SOTC charming is that you never knew what you were going to find, it added uniqueness and texture to the world. That's why it felt real. If every dungeon is always predictable, why bother? Same problem, again, that the post-Morrowind TES games had. You start to see the "skeleton" of the mechanics underneath, and then you irreversibly see it AS a game.

Apologies for autistic post.

>> No.14226539

>>14226505
Also for proof of the real magic behind Minecraft, go look at the 2b2t videos of that FitMC guy surging in popularity recently. Millions of views, because the 2b2t server (which is apparently just the 4chan server?) does for Minecraft what Minecraft should have done for itself: it makes it seem like a chaotic wasteland. Those videos give people what folklore probably did back in the days when the world didn't seem small and we didn't assume that the world was basically a boring place obeying laws well-known by scientists, namely, it made it seem huge and mysterious and full of crazy bullshit.

Or watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQNeYbBiCKw

That's what people want from these games. There is something in the brain that allows us to suspend disbelief about the determinate borders of the game world and believe it as a real place, as long as you can trigger the player into thinking his assumptions of its simplicity are naive, and its actual depth is a total mystery.

>> No.14226581

>>14226505

Beautiful post, well put.
Unfortunately I believe it is the very nature of video games that do not allow their full potential to be realized.
Video games make you more... awkward, weak in some way. It's hard to put a finger on it but you can tell when someone plays too many video games even if they work a job that requires constant social contact.
Prime examples: Ian Hazzikostas, director of World of Warcraft, and Henry Cavill, soon to play Gerald in the Witcher TV series.
These two people hold such high esteemed positions yet if you look them up you can "tell" that they are "video game nerds": it's a combination of a slightly hunched, awkward pose (the "virgin", even if they are not), sometimes sleepy eyes, sometimes difficulty in being fluent with words.
Both of them play World of Warcraft (Yes even Henry Cavill).

So the point I'm trying to make is that in the process of developing a vidya game you'll also inevitably end up playing it which will zombify you to the point that you will not have the same energy as before because you're "entrapped" in the vidya itself. The social awkwardness that ensues is probably the same reason why SJW-types and marketers who do not care about vidya are able to take over such companies, because everybody who loves video games becomes zombified and unable to retaliate in full force.

>> No.14226606

>>14226505
not autistic at all. i feel more or less exactly the same about minecraft, used to complain to friends and fellow players that notch et al. were failing to fully realize the game's core concept. lo and behold terraria comes along, and with integrates granular building mechanics with 2d platforming / combat and its a huge success. terraria went all in on progression, rpg mechanics, etc. while minecraft half-assed during development. depressing.
as for botw, it's ultimately a big budget proof of concept so i can forgive it for what it is. flawed, but it breathes new life into well-worn mechanics ("tower-based" exploration) with the complexity of its various systems and respect for the player's fundamental urge to experiment. which is basically what you're saying in >>14226539. i am very interested in seeing the direction that 2 goes, especially since MM is one of my favorite games for the freedom it had in working with OoT's foundation.
>recommendations
frankly, not my genre, but i appreciate it. but i like the aesthetic of star control, has interested me for years. like i said, i tend toward game's that are a little bit more shallow even though i don't actually like them that much.

anyways, interesting thread but i'm dead tired.

>> No.14226612

>>14226505
> fear of being called a homo
we are all faggots here, never worry. Just post.

>> No.14227247

>>14226328
> Or should I say "nie ma za co"
No, I'm not from Poland, but I appreciate your greetings!
> When I see people swiping on their smartphones in public places I feel I should be better and not do it.
That's the same feeling for me, anon. Seeing the same behaviour as yours in other people really make you think.

>>14226431
What I would like to achive is basically impossible in the country were I live (Italy) and even if I live in another country is difficult nor impossible to reach. To reduce my congnitive dissonance I'm still changing my achievements, but it is a long journey.
> there's no point in trying to improve yourself if you don't use that improvement to actually create something
This is the biggest redpill for today. Thank you so much. That's true.

>> No.14227512

>>14225973
You okay bro?

>> No.14227569

>>14226581
Guy on an anime image board is criticising Henry Cavill. Rofl.

>> No.14227644

Videogames and anything so intensely simulating will duck up your frontal lobe and give you add. Quit now before you end up like all those 30 year olds playing wow classic because they played when they were 15.

>> No.14227782

>>14225988
>hands
finally I've found another patrician

>> No.14227910

>>14225924
Real /lit/erates are depressed assholes who only read because they feel like it's the only way to advance at life since every other door is shut to them. Horrible role model to pick from.

>> No.14228239

Videogames are not inherently bad or wasteful. Admittedly, almost nothing has come out in years that interests me, but I still play a little vidya here and there. Rarely though.

The reason you don’t enjoy it is likely your life stage. If you feel like there’s a lot of things you need to do in your life or big overarching goals you aren’t meeting, you won’t have fun playing vidya and will regret “wasting” the time. If you aren’t comfortable with your life and doing other activities like spending time with people, exercising, working, etc. or if you aren’t feeling accomplished, you won’t enjoy video games without feeling any guilty.

It’s all about how you associate the time spent with what you “should” have been doing.

>> No.14228249

>>14228239
Without feeling guilty*

>> No.14228368

>>14225924
I think most games are schlock, just like most novels and movies are schlock. Those two art forms have been around for a much longer time than video games, so it stands to reason that there are more examples of high art in those media than in video games.

As I've gotten older, I've slowly lost my interest in most video games because I don't find most of them fulfilling in the deeper way I get out of reading a truly powerful novel. It's a purely mechanical stimulation I get bored of fairly quickly. But there are a few games that have managed to move me in some way, albeit differently than books. It's a more visceral, low-level experience. Games have the potential to immerse you in a world much more physically than books. Games like Subnautica or Majora's Mask have given me experiences more physically powerful than I've had in other media.

>> No.14228399

>>14227569
what a stupid fucking post

>> No.14228477
File: 3.49 MB, 1920x1080, law.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I sure hope you guys played Disco Elysium.

>> No.14228534

>>14225924
It really depends on the videogames you are playing. If you understand the art form in a diverse sense then it can actually improve your capacity for appreciating literature. If you only play a narrow selection of corporate products then you will mentally stunt yourself.

>> No.14228577

yes. they function under different logics, which means your mind will only be truly able to engage only in one of them, whether you actually do both or just one.

there'snothing to lode, vidya ony seems like somethig if it the only thing you know. open your horizons and you'll see.

>> No.14228581

>>14228577
*lose

>> No.14228613

>>14228477
Great game

>> No.14228658
File: 148 KB, 220x310, 220px-SchoolDays.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225924
You can always play visual novels

>> No.14228668

>>14225957
I still play like maybe ~5 games every year but I stopped playing online and doing wasteful shit like getting 100% or some A+ rank, etc at 16.

>> No.14229147

>>14225924
>>14225988
... Hubert?

>> No.14229490

You guys should play Pathologic 2. Its basically a book in vidya form because you have to read so much. Also its pretty much deconstructing everything we are used to in video games

You should really give it a go. Its the best draining depressing experience you can get

>> No.14229506

the only games i play nowadays are flight simulators

>> No.14229513

>>14225924
I do play but consider it a vice. It's just not a good use of your time.

>> No.14229685
File: 134 KB, 1600x900, andre rublev.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225924
A standard single player video game takes 30 hours to play through the main quest.

A non retard can read at least 100 pages in 3.5 hours.

A standard film is 2 hours long.

If you're a wage cuck, play video games throughout the week since you will be tired and not have the energy to devote your mind to high art, but then watch 3 films over the weekend and spend at least 3.5 hours reading on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday each.

You can become a patrician in no time.

>> No.14229686

>>14225973
t. edgy fedora-pill faggot

>> No.14229691

>>14225924
You should really stop caring and just be yourself and do what you like.

>> No.14229705

>>14226004
> missing the point
You’re free to do whatever you want. You’re not obligated to anything. Play your vidya and stfu.

>> No.14229712

>>14229691
i've been doing this all my life and i'm a kissless virgin.

>> No.14230006

>>14228239
Underrated post

>> No.14230464
File: 33 KB, 678x452, images (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Videogames
>Good for excersing your brain and keeping your brain efficiency (puzzles, tetris, puyo puyo)
>Require high visual and spatial awareness (fighting games and shooters)
>Keeps your brain active and solving problems as opossed to watching a movie
>Requires perseverance and diligence to learn from your errors and become good
>Have the best orchestral and string chamber music post 1950 and can be compared to classical music (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Super Mario Galaxy)
>Beautiful Gothic, Renaissance, Classical arquitecture (Bloodborne, Assasins Creed, Dark Souls)
>Beautiful Animation and movement (Skull girls, Cuphead, KOF)
>Narrative games that ask philosophical questions (Deus Ex, Bioshock, Fallout:New Vegas)
>Teach you to drive a car, fly a plane, cooking, fly a space rocket, mathematics, and history.

>So why isn't anon playing video games right now?

>> No.14230497

>>14225988
tips to quit smoking?

>> No.14230521

If you are a functioning man with a job, no, it's not possible to conciliate both, specially if you are fortunate enough to go to the gym consistently.

>> No.14230540

>>14230497

Stop lighting cigarettes and sucking on them like a fag

>> No.14230543

>>14225924
I stopped gaming in my early-20s, but porn and web-surfing have done more to kill any sort of ambition I have than any video game I've ever played

>> No.14230593

>>14230464
You shouldn't have greentexted your last line.

Also, you should mention The Talos Principle since it does puzzles, spatial awareness and deep philosophical questions at the same time.

>> No.14230677
File: 125 KB, 705x779, 4f9b2a6044903469f1d3e1141db498bea569dd71r1-705-779v2_uhq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14227782

>> No.14230832

>>14225924
it seems to me more a matter of self-control. if you can't stop at anytime, or feel like you've lost the means to stop, you should find something else to do until you regain that control. otherwise, you'll remain subservient to your impulses, and really no better than a lab rat being fed endless doses of sugar.

>> No.14230892
File: 236 KB, 535x400, 1561529338010.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

video games are only really an addiction if you make them one
that goes for anything really, if you find yourself in a situation where your thoughts revolve around almost exclusively that one thing, then that's unhealthy
i can be nice sometimes to just take a break and wind down with games, i do it myself with fighting games, but you have to know when you are drifting too far from reality

>> No.14230913

Once I realized how damaging video games were for my youth I decided that if kids are going to play them no matter what it was my duty to give them an option of finding something valuable. The medium has so much fucking potential but it is held back by business practices, developers with no conviction, and the opinions of retarded manchildren. Going into development with the intention of "fun" is the final bullet.
I'm creating games that teach about and civilization. History, geography, philosophy, economics, art, science, engineering, politics. The medium is perfect for it, though I'm taking a big career and financial risk doing it

>> No.14231037

>>14230913
I remember going to the video game rental store when I was like 8 or 9. There was this new Mario game just released and I fucking loved Mario games. It was called Mario is Missing. It was an educative game and an absolute fucking piece of shit on every aspect and I lost 2$ and lost a weekend of playing video games (and my cousin was home for the weekend (you know that cool cousin who knew every secrets in every game because he was subscribed to to Nintendo Power (his mom died two years ago, it was pretty sad (his brother went a bit unhinged when she got into the hospital with terminal cancer and would force her to take some fucked up alternative cultist medecine (the whole ordeal pretty much destroyed their relationship after her death)))).

You reminded me of Mario is Missing with that post of yours.

Fuck you.

>> No.14231041

>>14225988
quitting smoking was easier than quitting league. I ended up naturally quitting every other game due to being bored of them but I always ended up wasting weekends on league. Asked Riot to delete my account a couple months ago and I haven't played videogames since

>> No.14231215

>>14231037
>Education game
What I'm making is as "educative" as any serious piece of literature or film. It's not designed to be like a school textbook, it's supposed to be a work that's engaging beyond escapism, time wasting, and "fun" like a toy. Reading a good book is fun but that was not the original intention behind it's creation. Video game developers make games to be like adult action figures

>> No.14231257

>>14225924
when I was a teenage NEET I could sleep 4 hours a day, read ten hours a day and play video games the other ten
to this day I confuse others with an uncanny knowledge of video games and romantic literature

>> No.14231261

>>14231257
>talking about video games in real life
>publicly displaying your power level
cringe

>> No.14231285

>>14231261
it's confusing to others because I am fairly normal now and a relevant topic comes up once in a blue moon, forgive the cringe post

>> No.14231506
File: 14 KB, 224x271, 1543936273570.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14231285
>I am fairly normal now

>> No.14231540

>>14231261
What? I'm an animefag and crypto currency fag and have never told a soul but why bother keeping your power level for video games of all things hidden? People find it funny that I'm a bullet hell and RTS need despite being an otherwise normal guy. It's a socially acceptable pastime if the rest of your life is in order.

>> No.14231551

>>14229691
/thread

>> No.14231563

>>14231540
*RTS-nerd

>> No.14231568

As long as you only play text adventures, you're cool.

>> No.14231570

>>14226124
my obsessive use of wikipedia has lead me to this conclusion too

>> No.14231704

>>14225977
I disagree with your axiom.

>> No.14231757

>>14225924
To be a genuine literate you need to commit to an existential crisis, slowly alienate all your friends and family, and build your drinking habit to raging alcoholic, as you spend the rest of your life in total dread, only interrupted by short bursts of pissing yourself in public before you roll around in it and cry about wanting to die

>> No.14231863

God kicking DOTA 2 was so hard, I relapsed about 2 times in the last 3 years and it was never worth it. Almost 4000 hours doing literally nothing. I still play vidya here or there but try to keep it strictly single player or coop if a friend says something. I still watch some streamers on youtube though but thats more for unwinding. I really wish I could take it all back but you cant. Trying to babystep my way into being a patrician but im about to be 26 already and dont know if my brain is just permanantely KOd.

>> No.14231905

>>14231863
Try being 28 and still binging classic wow

>> No.14231915

>>14225924
Yes, you have to quit videogames, 4chan, internet, television, masturbation, porn, human interaction, religion, exercising, eating, thinking, drinking, talking, reading, breathing.

>> No.14232222
File: 9 KB, 259x194, 1574201205103.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225924
Ahh why must women cover their acne and imperfections with make up, gentlemen? Do they not know the beauty of a young woman's blemished skin signifying delicate immaturity and pubescence?

>> No.14232286

You could just balance the things you enjoy with your work so that you actually enjoy them instead of using them to replace work. Everybody telling you anything but to give yourself a break and cut yourself some slack on the whole rigor thing is kidding themselves and has bought into relentless and destructive productivity. You do not need to be searching and producing all the time. Games are an important part of living. You cannot live productively without places to relax. If you're really reading seriously and not masturbating an egoistic construction of your masculine hardworking self then you know that it is often labor. Joyous labor but labor. Give yourself some credit, you work hard every day, you have nothing to prove.

>> No.14232305
File: 288 KB, 1910x1000, tulsi gabbard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14232222
Checked

>> No.14232332

>>14230464
>>Have the best orchestral and string chamber music post 1950 and can be compared to classical music
lol
all soundtrack music is boring. there's no way you could listen to it any significant amount of times on its own. the very idea of it is 'music not too interesting that it distracts from the scene but not extremely dogshit to completely ruin the scene', mediocrity at its finest.
story wise, you'll really have to dig through a lot of shit if you want something good, since the standard has always been low. games like deus ex and bioshock are the equivalent of your average 'good' sci-fi fiction book, and most certainly even the best video game ever made doesn't go past that bar.

>> No.14232521

>>14229147
Leopold?

>> No.14232771

>>14232332
autism

>> No.14232776
File: 109 KB, 400x400, 1572730571490.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225924
Personally this website is more harmful than vidya

Also don't post my wife ever again

>> No.14232794

>>14232771
Different guy but you are dumb if you don't understand why a soundtrack isn't good as a standalone piece of music. And thinking games have good stories should disqualify you from posting on /lit/

>> No.14232809

>>14225924
just move on to more intellectually challenging vidya that requires more reading. i recommend games like planescape: torment, pathologic 1 or 2, or, most recently, disco elysium. just to name a few.

>> No.14232815
File: 36 KB, 468x468, smHKtmq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14232794
Oh yeah? Try make me leave, scrawny pseudointellectual faggot

>> No.14232819

>>14232809
>intellectually challenging vidya that requires more reading
Or, maybe, just read a book?

Nah, too hard, might require quitting your video game addiction instead of rationalizing it.

>> No.14233335

>>14231568

Suggestions?

>> No.14233343

>>14232819

Just enjoy the best of both worlds: "choose your own adventure" books.

>> No.14233359
File: 1.32 MB, 1260x952, 98661928789124.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14225924
I switched to only playing Isometric RPGs, which are heavy on text, it's more /lit/ than other games.

>> No.14233467

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2. It's pretty fucking good. I haven't even been playing the story (I'm about 50 hours in and only on Chapter 3). I've mostly been hunting, fishing, exploring, camping, and kidnapping women and slashing them open in the wilderness, and cooking.

It's pretty kino.

>> No.14233625

>>14225988
>>14227782
Based hand chads.

>> No.14233636

>>14225924
Considering that the state of the video game industry is nothing but churned out samey garbage and award-bait "cinematic" works with writing on par with most pop books and their continued efforts to become Hollywood 2: Electric Boogaloo, you'd probably do slightly better. Hell, maybe you'd be one of the few descent video game writers. Most games have shitty writing in either case...

>> No.14233702

>>14225924
I only play videogames with soul like Hollow Knight.
>>14233636
This man is correct, you have to dig around to find the good shit among all the chaff trying to make a quick buck.

>> No.14233791

Played vidya through all of my life, after 1000 hours on rocket league I was like: "what if I would have spent 1000 hours doing something useful like learning a skill or a language?"
Plus I couldn't stand my nerd friends, they only talk about vidya and that pissed me off. Now I'm in a cocoon mode: alone but focused. Vidya are cool but they are just a waste of time, they make kids/young people lazy and they make them waste time, that is the most precious thing we got.
t.loner who now waste like a couple of hours on 4chan every day.

>> No.14233817

>>14233359
drop that fucking shit and start playing Planescape: Torment right now. Thank me later

>> No.14233846

>>14225973
pretty much

>> No.14233910

>>14229490
Yeah it's been a long time since I played such a good game. Hope they manage to finish it.

>> No.14233929

>>14225973
How very reddit of you.

>> No.14233942

>>14225924
I haven't really quit video games, I barely play at all but I've pretty much cut out television completely. I've never been one of those people who "binge-watch".

>> No.14233966

One underappreciated thing about vidya is it's ability to be a tool for language learning. Most games by their nature are repetitive and have gameplay loops. This repetitiveness is extremely useful when it comes to learning vocab and phrases. It is much more efficient than watching series or movies. A few years ago I started to learn German and made great leaps by playing point-and-click stuff and rpgs like Gothic. I can read novels in German now.

>> No.14233978

i put my xbox 360 away yesterday. i m not addicted per se but im 22 , too fucking old for this shit. i go through phases of being 'addicted' ie playing too fucking much. it coincides with when i have time to pursue things i would otherwise enjoy/benefit me. i gather no true pleasure from games, they simply are a "fast forward." i need to internalize that there is no point in my life where i would want to go back t o normal speed and just live things as they are in the time speed that they are if i dont quit now . from here on out i will not touch video games

>> No.14234006

>>14232521
Hans?

>> No.14234028

>>14233966
Also this kind of solved my gripe with vidya being a waste of time. It turned my addiction into something useful (by my standards)

>> No.14234035

>>14234028
yes yes i try to learn french but nigga ... like cmon now... idk ... its video game french - and everyone who aint speakin english is retarded

>> No.14234169

>>14234035
But video game French is a really good springboard to start reading easier French novels. It's miles better than duolingo or memrise. Sure you will have to use a dictionary when you begin reading proper novels but that is to be expected. I just think that playing vidya in a foreign language for educational purposes can in the short term lessen ones guilt about that activity and in the long term can help one for example discover wonderful literature. Stuff that you otherwise would have missed.

>> No.14234274
File: 763 KB, 1920x1200, Lucifer Tree - Grand Tree of Communion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you play videogames in current age, then you, most probably, are lethargic/complacent, and tend toward immersion. Currently, there are more important things that one should work on, excel in, and appreciate/vest one's attention in, within the world - mainly: conquering the Zionist enemy (via major/deep art, amongst other means), establishing noble rule, and restituting noble order - before videogames may again become emersive artworks, and the lofty places of communion that they once were.

>> No.14234282

>>14234274
fuck you tripnigger you fucking fuck faggot

>> No.14234423

>>14234169
How did you learn German through playing videogames? Did you just read a translation side by side or did you try to look everything up?

>> No.14234502
File: 1.59 MB, 2560x1440, 1570588872341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/gsg/ reporting in
>not playing autistic map-painting simulators and learning bits of history at the same time
shiggy

>> No.14234555

>>14225924
2c: videogames are not worth you time. I love them but no longer get anything out of playing them, I only ever play with groups at a friends house.

>> No.14234827

>>14234423
to give you a fuller picture: I also took skype lessons from a teacher in order to graps the grammatical rules and I also used a grammar book, and made anki flashcards for myself. But I simultaneously started playing games in which I constantly saw and heard these rules and words in practice. If I didn't understand how a sentence was constructed I always asked my teacher how that particular sentence worked. After that, tying something that I newly learned to the context of the video game helped immensely with internalising grammar. Apart from this the biggest help vidya gave is helping with the memorisation of vocab and phrases by sheer repetition, as I said in my first post. Just think about it: navigating the same menus, picking up the same items, accosting NPCs over and over again burns stuff into your brain without it necessarily feeling like a chore.

I first started with old Lucasarts point-and-click adventure games using ScummVm (it's free). The advantage of ScummVm is that you can pause the game anytime you want. For example when a character starts a new sentence you pause immediately to read and understand everything grammaticaly and vocab-wise. After that you unpause to hear the voice actor say his lines to learn the pronunciation. Sadly newer games don't have this handy pause-function but after some practice with Lucasarts stuff I had the confidence to start playing rpg-s. With those kind of games you can't usually pause mid-sentence but the above mentioned repetion gives you a huge crutch. For example you always take up quests almost the same way, you always ask for a reward/greet/say goodbye/ask about rumours the same way. But apart from spoken lines you also have a vast amount of written text that you can read at your leasure: item descriptions, ingame books, journal entries. Keep in mind these old RPG-s cost like 5 Euros but you get at least 30 hours worth of spoken and written text. You don't get the same amount of repetition by watching movies imho. It's not even close. And repetition is of key importance.

After two years I stopped taking skype lessons altogether because by then I started to read novels and saw that I can understand the grammar of the texts 95% of the time and know how to look up the remeaining 5%. The rest is vocabulary.
Sorry about the autismo post but it's just sad to see this thread where everybody is complaining about their vidya game habits, how it's a waste of time, and makes oneself feel worthless when for example it's benefits to language learning (and thus to reading literature) are so obvious. I mean I bet that a lot of you guys here learnt English without even noticing it by playing games in your childhoods. This same process can be repeated with the major languages: German, French, Spanish, Russian. It won't work by pirating I suppose but if you buy the game you can choose the localisation. And old stuff is extremely cheap.

>> No.14234929

>>14225924
I only watch videos on Youtube of Dark Souls and Bloodborne because I think they're interesting. Oh, and I play Dwarf Fortress.

>> No.14235077

>>14234827
not him, but thanks for telling us all this helpful shit. appreciate it, and kudos to you for learning German all by that

>> No.14235383

>>14225977
>Masturbation is sex
LMAOing @ ur worldview breh

>> No.14235584

>>14235077
You're welcome anon. But keep in mind that my only purpose with language learning was to read lit. If you'd want to speak it and converse in it fluently then probably you'd have to practice other stuff too.

>> No.14235639

>>14234827
Thanks anon, you’re a good lad

>> No.14235682

>>14234827
I found this process works basically the same if you just pick a nonfiction book that actually interests you and simply read it. Yeah you won't remember every word, but the fifteenth time you see "Auffassung" you're probably gonna remember what Auffassung means. Old fashioned graded readers are also useful for this.

Your brain is better at absorbing vocabulary than you think. The hardest part is grammar but that's not even that hard, really. I posted this spergout in a recent thread just in case it helps anybody:
>>/lit/thread/S14213245#p14213444

>> No.14235764

>>14225924
I think some games, like, attempt to be literary at least. Stuff like The Beginner's Guide, Stanley Parable, uhh... What Remains of Edith Finch. A lot of "walking simulator" type games, I guess. I think that's mostly because video games aren't really good at translating mechanics into narrative. I don't know if it's ever really going to be possible to do that.

I think you can just enjoy a game because it's fun or because it's beautiful or whatever. Like Fallout: New Vegas or Hyper Light Drifter aren't about big ideas really (although they would pass for big ideas if you're, y'know, a g*mer) but they're fun and I think sometimes that can be enough.

>> No.14235920

>>14234827
I'm jealous. I tried using video games to learn Japanese but the language is too different from English. I did find them useful later on but I was already able read novels by then.

>> No.14235929

>>14225973
need more posts like this

>> No.14235966

There are different kinds of videogames, so it depends:

1) Reality replacements. MMOs, Fortnite, League of Legends, etc. The intention is for you to allow yourself to be locked in a Skinner box. These games are inherently bad and are counterproductive to any growth in your life.

2) "E-sports." Some bleed over with reality replacement as they invent more level up systems, unlocks, etc. These games are digital skill competitions. Everything in moderation, but it's no different than basketball (minus the meaningful social interaction and exercise).

3) Story games. These games are no different than watching a movie and, in some rare cases, reading a book. There's nothing wrong with having some entertainment in your life to unwind.

>> No.14235974

You will probably find game plots and dialogues utter shit and it will make you nauseous and you'll quit gaming.

>> No.14236009

>>14228658
Is this the one where the girls kill themselves in the bathroom at the end?

>> No.14236278

>>14234502
Best post itt