[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 684x1243, d3b84d42c96abecfa0a6cdde5b7fe451-imagejpeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14138270 No.14138270[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

It would be greatly beneficial for Christendom if all schismatic denominations were reconciled into the universal church without necessarily resolving the theological disputes that cause them to be divergent. Though the idea may sound radical, it is not without historical precedent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Brest
>It was agreed that the filioque should not be inserted in the Nicene Creed, and that the Ruthenians "should remain with that which was handed down to us in the Holy Scriptures, in the Gospel, and in the writings of the holy Greek Doctors, that is, that the Holy Spirit proceeds, not from two sources and not by a double procession, but from one origin, from the Father through the Son."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molinism
>In 1581, a heated argument erupted between the Jesuits, who advocated Molinism, and the Dominicans, who had a different understanding of God's foreknowledge and the nature of predestination. In 1597, Pope Clement VIII established the Congregatio de Auxiliis, a committee whose purpose was to settle this controversy. In 1607, Pope Paul V ended the quarrel by forbidding each side to accuse the other of heresy, allowing both views to exist side-by-side in the Catholic Church.

The Orthodox and high church Protestants could likewise exist in full Communion with the Catholic church without delving into and resolving the specifics of divisive theological divergences.

>> No.14138277

Absolutely retarded and masonic idea.

>> No.14138286
File: 8 KB, 277x271, 38dae43df8786f8978f94dcaa4a10b7e-imagepng.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14138277
can't argue with that holy dubs.
Why though?

>> No.14138297

>>14138286
Well you can just abandoned difference and become in communion just like that.
No orthodox would want to take communion form a Pope that thinks he is infaliable for example. Or no Catholic would won't to take communion form a televangelist or something bloke that.
You can just sweep the theology under the rug because the church is there to preserve the Truth and eradicate false believes and teachings.
Why masonic well masons love that sit we are all under the same grand architect and all gods are just manifest of him, so we should all be the same kind of idea.

>> No.14138310

>>14138297
based strokeposter

>>14138270
>The Orthodox and high church Protestants could likewise exist in full Communion with the Catholic church
>dude why doesn't the catholic church simply exist in Communion with the heresy that is protestantism? lmao
it's fucking heresy, you get that? it's like asking why doesn't the catholic church spit on jesus' face

>> No.14138323

>>14138270
Do eastern Catholics hold the same view of the Pope as western?

I'm Lutheran and I love the Catholic Church, the way I see it, the obstacles for us and the Catholic church isn't necessarily impossible to overcome

>Eucharist
Both believe in the real presence of Christ in the bread and wine. I think this is the biggest show stopper in reconciling the more low church protestants with Catholicism. Hearing about protestants who go without this sacrament of Gods grace makes me sad.

>Bishops
Check, lutherans are big on the apostolic succession.

>Sola Fide
My impression is that Catholics and Lutherans (and perhaps other protestants as well) pretty much talk about the same thing but with different words. Catholics emphasize us having to cooperate with Gods grace in order to be saved, which is interpreted as having to do works in order to be saved. But isn't the consequence of sola fide practically the same? Good works is a fruit of Faith, and I think we all agree that we have to abstain from sin (which can be considered works, or abstaining from bad works) is pivotal in order to be saved.

>The Pope
Yeah, we do have an archbishop but the infallable-bit, not so much. Seems like this point is exagerrated in the critique of Catholicism though.

>Sola scriptura
Isn't this just a matter of exegesis? Everyone does it so of course some theologians, who are members of the Church, will eventually work out a greater understanding of God and His will and thus form a tradition.

>Saints
I have no issue in the idea of asking the Saints for their intercession. However, I think the problem is to actually know that someone is in heaven. It seems like a bold assertion.

>> No.14138351

>>14138323
>Do eastern Catholics hold the same view of the Pope as western?
Yes. Vatican I made Catholic papal teaching into dogma, meaning that it's on the same level as the Trinity, etc. Knowingly rejecting it is damnable. (lol)

>> No.14138355

>>14138270
>Altering the Nicene Creed
Good luck reconciling Protestants with Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Scientists.

>> No.14138374

>>14138323
>My impression is that Catholics and Lutherans (and perhaps other protestants as well) pretty much talk about the same thing but with different words.
You're wrong of course. Catholics believe that one is saved by the merit they earn through good works.

>> No.14138387

>>14138355
Those two can be left behind

>> No.14138622

>>14138374
they believe in both faith AND works.

>> No.14138652

>>14138622
Yes, and?

>> No.14138692
File: 211 KB, 2157x768, b5be160134da85ebf4a1de92a11ebf314cee517caf5b5a4882750ed534f79687.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is something similar, the world council of churches. This is as far as it will possibly get to religious unity in christendom, since communion requires general dogmatic equality. I would honestly say that the two churches that are the closest to achieving communion are the catholic and orthodox, since unlike the protestants both have significantly similar beliefs with a few small(but important) differences. The big factor is that orthodox churches don't want to be a vassal of the pope and them existing side by side in communion would undermine the pope's authority as head of the catholic church.

>> No.14138698

>>14138692
>I would honestly say that the two churches that are the closest to achieving communion are the catholic and orthodox
You're wrong. The only possibly realistic reunification would be between the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox.

>> No.14138728

>>14138698
You're right, I forgot they weren't already in communion.

>> No.14138749

>>14138351
There’s a much higher standard for it that just whatever the pope feels like saying. The power of papal infallibility has only been exercised a couple times since institution, and has been used to affirm very longstanding beliefs that were being denied by modernists.

>> No.14138922
File: 1.62 MB, 1354x1349, 1550696661767.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There isn't any hope of any major reconciliation, ecumenism is a empty promise, even from a temporal perspective merger is practically impossible; you'd be surprised at how complicated the question of "who owns the church" is.

>> No.14138939

>>14138922
The Bishop's purposely sabotaged Pope Benedict's ordinate fearing a sudden influx of moderately conservative Anglo-Catholics, and people think they would be willing to accept American Lutherans? It's a joke.

>> No.14138948

This could happen, if everyone read the writings of John Wesly and became a based methodist.