[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 108 KB, 678x452, lit_Uni.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14103045 No.14103045[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>Senior year of HS, had no idea where to go to college
>Find a flier for /lit/ University
>Why not?
>Get an acceptance letter almost immediately
>Best part is tuition is free, on the condition that you remain forever
>First day of classes and I'm feeling excited
>Take remedial philosophy classes from Shizo Anon
>Everyone in class applauds in amazement at his every lecture
>Meanwhile Im struggle to make coherent sense of any of it
>Oh well, I guess Philosophy is too hard. Better move on to something easier.
>Hit up Butterfly's Gender theory seminar
>Quickly realize why I'm the only one in her class (shes a crazy tranny)
>Drop after the first day
>Have insufficient credits and need to transfer to a new class ASAP
>Enroll in an first-year humanities seminar on the Meme Trilogy
>Teacher pulls a curve ball and demands our final paper be a 50 page dissertation of Finnegans Wake
>Use a random word generator and paste the results for 50 pages
>Hope the teacher passes me for artistic effort
>Get an F, and have to take summer classes to raise my GPA
>Take private tutoring from the Professor Emeritus Husserl scholar Anon
>Do well enough and am permitted to take a modern lit seminar
>First day the prof gives us a pop-quiz
>“We will be reading Joyce's letters to Nora. Any one who laughs will automatically fail.”
>“You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones-”
>Begin ROFLing
>“GET OUT! And never come back!”
>Walk the halls dejectedly
>Enter a random classroom and audit it
>Its a class on Rene Guenon
>The whole class is just Guenonfag arguing with the Prof
>Fuck this
>Go to the Uni Cafe and listen to LondonFrog mumble to himself about seeing another Stacy
>Try to talk to him but he just stuffs his face with KFC
>Get fed up and decide to try out Tao Lin's Creative Writing class.
>Of course its a night class
>It starts at 9pm but he is no where to be found
>Wait for 2 whole hours and he finally shows up.
>No apology or anything
>Immediately starts shilling his books for 3 hours straight
>mfw

>> No.14103067

>>14103045
Beautiful

>> No.14103073

>>14103045
Autism

>> No.14103075

>>14103045
>Be me
>Reading Infinite Jest 2 by DFW in the library
>Takes weeks, but I'm nearly finished
>Some normie comes up to me and says "so you basicallt binge books? Just like Netflix?"

>> No.14103091

>sign up for Harold Bloom's Harry Potter course
>he doesn't even show up, no emails or anything
Anyone want to tell me where this fucker ran off to?

>> No.14103139

>Go to a Christian youth club meeting to check out
>Everyone is arguing over which Bible translation is the most accurate and are at each other's throats
>The Protestant in the room eventually speaks up and everyone else hangs up on him

>> No.14103154

>>14103045

>Be 22 wannabe pseud
>Trying to remedy my ways, become /Fit/Lit
>Drag ass in a Community College for 4 years
>Transfer to a 4-year Liberal Arts college in state. Deep South.
>Not Harvard, but comfier than the state schools, and more amenities, less cost, and more moderate politically than the other options
>Be History Major, English Minor
>Had to narrow my passions. So be it.
>Get stuck in 200-level courses
>Southern Lit and Survey of Lit
>Find out later I could have dropped Survey and gotten another one. Oh well, too late
>It'll be an easy A irregardless
>Teacher is Canadian Feminist who is somehow in Alabama.
>Chill, nonetheless
>Decent crop of stories, poems, and plays.
>Grin through Feminist/Black works.
>In plays now, gotta do a Raisin in the Sun. Again.
>Least I'm doing Ibsen and Antigone...
>Things are good thus far
>In Southern Lit
>In Civil Rights hub
>Am White, Straight, Male
>Teacher is White, Straight Yankee
>Hippie type of dude (Boomer in all), chill asf, but hard Progressive.
>I admire the ferocity of the class, if not the politics
>God
>The class is fundamentally dominated, obsessed by race. Lynching, slave narratives, etc. Carries through the interbellum, postbellum, etc...
>Offend, I think, some black chick by popping in that the rural south of the '30s, backward as it was, was likely still taken by notions of mob justice. Hence, lynching.
>Some of the people in Dry September did indeed think of it that way. In the context they were in.
>Get shut down.
>Take it quietly. Chameleon skin, anon. Chameleon skin.
>Overhear the issue secondhand, have discussion about it.
>Teacher is still extremely chill about it, cautions me to tread lightly.
>Do so, slightly. Tis the times.
>Still have 6 hours left for the minor
>Am skipping the 300-level Critical Theory I would have needed for the Major...
>History cool otherwise.
>Professor is, oddly enough, a full-on fuck both sides kind of Libertarian. Purplepilled, in /pol/ lingo.
>Teaches mainly American History.
>Class is cool. Isn't just an Autistic examination of class conflict.
>Other teachers, classes ok.
>Com is surprisingly the most pozzed of the group. Teacher is chill, though.
>Old Testament Class (The church still has enough influence in the school to make students take 12 hours of religion. 6 if you're a transfer)
>Surprisingly lucid for a freshmen course
>Have a frumpy housewife looking woman teach it, degrees from Duke in all.
>You get the stories, but also the historical context, cultural context, political messages, etc.
>Best class of the group thus far.
>Have three more terms after this
>Am reading to greater depth outside my classes, the library is large and well stocked.
>Am slowly losing some Autism
>Shit's good. Just don't know what I want to do after. Maybe Lawfag.

Ain't knocking things up with the elites, but I'm satisfied all the same.

>> No.14103236
File: 25 KB, 482x482, D_18KNfXUAABjr0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14103045
>second year at /lit/ university
>can't stand the philosophy department, decide to try STEM
>there's only one entry-level course being offered on computers
>sign up without reading course description
>walk into class on the first day and see this
How do I transfer out of here?

>> No.14103246

>>14103154
Glad to hear it mostly went fine. I was anticipating some shit-hitting the fan with an ultra-lefty professor. In that regard the South is probably way better off then the northeast (or west coast)

>> No.14103248

You type like a faggot.

>> No.14103269

>>14103045
>take a class doomed anon is teaching
>he always show up with a six pack of Pabst and gets drunk during class
>read from Spengler, Kaczynski, Pessoa, Guenon, etc.
>He hasn't given us any grades and hope everything is going well
>day of the midterm comes
>he doesn't show up
>wait an hour
>someone from the administration comes and tells us he hung himself in his office
>everybody gets an A on the midterm by default
>get new professor next lecture
>it's clown pepe
>he's very chill and uplifting and always makes suggestive balloon figures during class
>he makes changes to the syllabus
>He adds Camus, Deleuze, and Baudrillard to the reading list
>final exam comes
>we have to dress up as clowns, take acid, and let it go from there
>wake up next morning in the quad naked with a buttplug in my ass next to a sleeping tiger
>somehow passed the class

>> No.14103287

I graduated in 2007. I can barely even remember my time as an undergrad.

>> No.14103334
File: 979 KB, 2000x3000, 0003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14103045
Not a bad post for a Saturday night.

>> No.14103389

>>14103246

No. And I don't intend it get that way. I keep mum about my politics, irregardless of what class I'm in. I don't let it really leak into my class-assigned writings, either. I sidestep opportunities or else write in an inoffensively liberal tone. It's an interesting game, but one I will have to continue to play.

I'm on good terms with even the English teachers I don't have, though. Largely because I'm there workstudy errand boy.

I'm just thankful that I didn't go to the other university. One look at the course schedule (not to mention the city it is in, the cost, the traffic...) and I noped outta there.

>>14103248

Thank you for the compliment. I'm tryin'

>> No.14103559
File: 14 KB, 407x151, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14103236
>How do I transfer out of here?

I'm afraid you can't do that

>> No.14103583
File: 2.43 MB, 498x413, tenor.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14103334

>> No.14104134

>Tfw memed into going to Princeton.

Took 5 years of annual reapplying to get in too...

>> No.14104165
File: 76 KB, 637x478, 1514457277068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go into Nietzsche class
>like two guys have actually read his works, let alone his influences, and the rest have canned opinions on him

>> No.14104200

My uni experience has been a 50/50 mixed bag. I've had some absolutely stellar professors, one dude that was teaching one of my courses on American Fiction personally knew Ralph Ellison during his later years, and that whole experience was a blast.

Inversely, I've had professors peddling shit like Tim Snyder's "On Tyranny" and Wendy Trevino's "Cruel Fiction", literally works written for the sole purpose of saying FUCK ICE AND FUCK TRUMP. I'll survive, but man. I just wanted to read good books bros. Sometimes it's stifling.

>> No.14104382

>>14103045
I'm in uni studying a language and I am the only damn person in my entire degree doing it for literary reasons. It's always business or politics. I've been so starving for literary discussion I've ended up getting into films with my film nerd flatmate just so I can talk about something artsy.
A couple of weeks ago I went to a gay club with an Italian classmate and I met a random friend of his and we started talking about literature and damn bois he's basically this board. Anything I referenced he'd get, and anything he referenced I'd get.
>I've been reading this guy called Bolano, actually
>That's...2666, right?
The look on his face warmed my heart. Then my Italian friend took me a few paces away and told me the guy wasn't gay.

>> No.14104450
File: 153 KB, 800x979, 800px-Frans_Hals_-_Portret_van_René_Descartes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14104382

>> No.14104463

>>14103091
:(

>> No.14106003

bump

>> No.14106193

>>14103045
>>14103583
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1dtVwEb3gXI

>> No.14107527

>>14106193
cringe

>> No.14107596

>Go to class
>Don't talk to anyone
>Go home

>> No.14107644

>>14107596
Based Spiderland Anon

>> No.14108254

>>14104200
>shit like Tim Snyder's "On Tyranny" and Wendy Trevino's "Cruel Fiction"

My Dad was actually colleagues and friends with Tim Snyder during Grad School. Over the years my Dad's opinion of him has weakened. In my Dad's words, "Tim has tenure at an Ivy league and knows he can publish any bullshit he wants now with minimum scrutiny."

>> No.14108289

>go to uni
>shitpost on laptop in back of class all day every day
>occasionally glance at the powerpoint to note the buzzwords
>cram buzzwords and prechewed opinions night before tests and vomit them back on test sheet
>get degree with awards
>go to trade school
What a fucking waste of time

>> No.14108315

>>14103248
Based. Fuck redditor blogposters

>> No.14108316

>>14103154
> takes class conceded with art from a region built by slavery
> "why is this dominated by race?"

anyway anon glad you're having a good time at college and I hope your classes are deeply intellectually satisfying :)

>> No.14108350

>>14103045
I'm taking my first literature class ever in college since my major+transferring schools didn't allow for much free space, and it is dominated by unbelievably vapid insights from people that think they're literary geniuses cause they took AP Lit in high school. Can't take higher courses due to pre-reqs so I'm languishing in intermediary courses that are easy but totally not stimulating... oh well, free A.

>> No.14108362

>>14103154
I'm glad for you. One of my regrets was becoming a STEM major, when I didn't like science much in school (did it for the job).
I wrote a while at the student newspaper. Humanities degrees would have been more fulfilling for me. Work experience is also what gets you your job, not the degree itself. You made a good choice, anon.

>> No.14108420

>>14103389
*regardless

ftfy

>> No.14108441

You forgot based zurvananon reading picture books to 20 somethings in the library, stopping only to rant about how non-dualism is a lie and God is a paladin who needs your help to kill the Devil

I would go to this university

>> No.14108447

>>14108441
Then Eris sweeps in and takes over the whole fucking thing

>> No.14108517

real life uni experience

>live in rural town
>go straight into wagecuck life after school because i'm already pilled on the uni scam
>make bank because i barely feel the need to spend my money on unnecessary shit and i'm still living at home for now so i'm not paying rent
>'if you're gonna keep living here anon you're gonna have to start paying rent'
>fuck that, all my friends are in the city and i'd be paying the same amount anyway
>move out and get job in city
>years pass
>oh god what am i doing with my life no free time no progression no goals fuuucck i need to do something
>maybe i'm just being cynical about uni
>bored browsing courses at state's most prestigious university
>find politics/philosophy/economics course, which were exactly my three main interests at the time and all the units sound right up my alley
>apply
>accepted
>go to introduction days/courses at start of term
>everyone here is more retarded, autistic and normie than i imagined
>maybe it's just cos everyone's new, i'll go sneak into some of the politics and philosophy club meetings while i'm here
>literally everyone here is equally retarded
>jesus fuck the uni thing isn't just a meme
>never go back, hadn't made any payments yet so it's all good
>can't believe i almost wasted 4 years of my life and went into debt for that shit
>go back to wage life and try out a (virtually) free, twice a week construction course just for something to do
>not even bullshitting, apart from the sportsball talk and crude jokes, everyone here is smarter, wittier, more interesting, and far less autistic than everyone i met at uni
>we even talk about surprisingly pilled stuff that i could've never brought up at uni, and in a way that would've no doubt been considered offensive

NEVER fall for the uni meme. don't go into debt. make bank and study whatever you want, on your own terms, in your own time. with all the studying and social shit you'll be stressing over, you'll probably end up with the same amount of free time either way.

>> No.14108532

>>14103045
>attend class on Whiteheadian process philosophy
>half way through the lecture a long-faced Frenchman and a bearded guy in a bathrobe burst in claiming that Whitehead simply couldn't contend with the Eleatic doctrine and was retroactively refuted
>everyone starts applauding
>attend the same class next; the exact same thing happens again

>> No.14108541
File: 1.79 MB, 4032x3024, EDABF410-A696-4960-BFE2-A0F20349E942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14108517
>my life experience should be unilateral advice for everybody

>> No.14108549

>>14108289
>don't put in any effort
>don't get a lot out of it

>> No.14108559

>>14108541

>my complete lack of life experience is a counter-argument

take it or leave it phoneposter

>> No.14108560

>>14108517
What the fuck is wrong with Americans? I can't believe that they charge their sons rent to live in their own homes, what a degraded and disgusting people

>> No.14108572

>>14108517
If you're too stupid to see why entry level undergrads aren't the most intellectually stimulating people then I'm afraid your "pilled" conversations are most likely dogshit.

>> No.14108573
File: 91 KB, 247x359, guenon-3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14108532
The image of Guenon wearing his sufi costume kicking down the door of a modern philosophy classroom while yelling in a cartoon french accent is really funny for some reason.
>AAHH PARODN MONSIEUR BUT AH 'AVE AHLREADY REFOOTED ZEES

>> No.14108582

>>14108517
Shit advice and reddit-tier to recommend trade school.
Your attitude and personality was most likely the problem, if literally every single person you met was below you.
Construction (and, as an aside, most jobs in the military) wrecks your body. I'd rather have a desk job any day.

Wall Street Journal (August, 2019):
>"College graduates still earn far more than those who never got an education beyond high school. Americans with a bachelor’s degree—but not a graduate degree—earned an average $77,239, nearly $32,000 more than the average earnings of workers with only a high-school diploma, according to the New York Federal Reserve.
>"That premium remains near an all-time high, after inflation. College graduates also are far more likely to have a job than nongraduates."

>> No.14108598

>day 1 at /lit/ uni
>check syllabus for philosophy class
>all asaigned reading is wikipedia and SEP articles, no actual books

>> No.14108604

>>14108532
based

>> No.14108609

>>14108598
>asaigned reading is wikipedia
I don't believe you

>> No.14108611

>>14108572

nah you misunderstood, that's exactly what i thought before i checked out all the clubs, maybe i didn't make it clear enough but even the postgrads i met were smolbrains, except they all put on an air of jaded elitism because *akshully* they'd all read critique of pure reason and kapital *ages ago*.

>>14108560
>>14108582

not american, ausfag so might be different circumstances.

but
>Construction (and, as an aside, most jobs in the military) wrecks your body. I'd rather have a desk job any day
lel i'll give you that certain jobs like being a boilermaker will wreck your back, but you're deluding yourself if you think sitting in an office staring at a screen all day is any better for your body and mind. i'll take the fresh air, non-feminized work environment, paid apprenticeship, and higher tier of /fit/ness, cheers.

>> No.14108620

>>14108611
>ausfag
oh yeah that explains it. Australian unis are retard central

>> No.14108625

>>14108611
Australian blue collar and military is like the opposite of the Americans, much higher earning and better work
but what sort of Australian makes his kid rent to live at home?

>> No.14108629

>>14108611
>i'll take the fresh air, non-feminized work environment, paid apprenticeship, and higher tier of /fit/ness, cheers.
pretty much every guy who works manual labour has no knees or back by the time he's in in his 50s. It's not a death sentence to do it as a younger man, but you should try to get out, and perform regular maintenance on your body with physical therapy while you work the job

>> No.14108636

>>14108549
There's only so much you can get from lectures where it's 50% legitimate retards asking stupid questions, 30% TA just reading from a powerpoint and 20% that one pretentious cunt trying to turn the lecture into a conversation between the TA and him

>> No.14108697
File: 10 KB, 231x250, 1478288858001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14103559
How do I leave? All I want to do is leave... but I just can't do it. Fucking hell.