[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 977 KB, 1500x2359, My secret history.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14086544 No.14086544 [Reply] [Original]

Woah, I didn't know studying Classics was this cool. I'm about to attend Uni this Fall(after a year of waiting) and am now stuck between Classics, English, and Philosophy. Does studying Classics make you a better writer/fluent in ancient greek?

>> No.14087190

>>14086544
The whole point of this book is that the author idealises the other characters beyond measure, and that they are certainly not 'cool'. Studying classics can be fun and cool, but not in the exact way this book portrays.

To answer your question, you study the classics when studying Greek. If you mean that by reading them in english you'll get a better understanding of Greek, then the answer is no, you won't. Learn the language before reading them, that's the proper way to do it.

>> No.14087684

>>14087190
Correct, reviewer James Wood says it's "about the nature of evil" which struck me as weird, b/c when I read it in college years back I too idealized them and thought HMW was basically infallible.

I've heard classics majors tend to be cliquey. Perfect for "muh collitch experience" but not for making money you can live in a cool place with after that.

>> No.14088271

>>14087684
>Perfect for "muh collitch experience"
There's another thing I will never understand.
But I'm not american, I guess it's not part of my culture.

OP: If you're in the US I think college is crazy expensive, and you should study something which gives you a greater income.
But if you're stuck between those, I suggest Philosophy, which will not give you a job but will give you more alternatives to choose in grad school. If you don't plan to go to grad school, I'd say do English.