[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 571 KB, 2024x3144, 0D48EA24-E28B-4AA0-AF1A-F5E46FDCC35D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14072928 No.14072928[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why do religious people resort to arguing for deism when asked to prove the existence of God? Why don’t they actually defend the gods they profess, whether that be Zeus, Yahweh, Allah, or any of the other thousands of gods worshipped throughout human history?
If my friend told me he had a horse named Raymond and I asked him to prove this assertion, I would think him stupid if he tried to start proving to me the existence of horses in general or an abstract philosophical horse-form. It would make no difference if he proved this beyond doubt by pointing to horse footprints in the mud, quoting literature to show that horses must have existed throughout history, or even bringing me a random stallion to look at, since none of these things would prove the initial assertion, which was that my friend has a horse named Raymond.
The best I’ve heard Christians come up with is “we can prove historically that Jesus rose from the dead”, but this is obviously laughable.

>> No.14072938

because Christians are subhuman retards. next question. delete this thread and post something to do with literature now

>> No.14072945

Transedental argument, look it up.
And that is a retarded analogy.

>> No.14072961

>>14072928
Why do atheists pretend to be interested in intellectual discourse when they seem to actively seek out arguments with their perceived intellectual inferiors on subjects they know they have already made up their mind on and that are epistemological impossibilities? An atheist must surely be aware that the time spent arguing with a Christian will go absolutely nowhere, yet Atheists love to do it nonetheless.

>> No.14072970

>>14072945
The analogy perfectly fits. Christians when asked to prove God immediately strip all the attributes of their God and start arguing for the bare essentials like him being a “creator”, even though this would apply to any religion and any god. Much like how my friend, instead of proving the existence of Raymond, a horse with a distinct name and characteristics, instead begins arguing for the bare essentials of “horseness”.