[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 9 KB, 225x225, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14042506 No.14042506 [Reply] [Original]

Do I have to study the Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Hittites, Phoenicians & Egyptians before Starting with the Greeks?

>> No.14042600

>phoenicians
You won't find many writings of note there - but, you might as well start with the Sumerians. Link is Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature
http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/

>> No.14042604

You know what start means hey mate?

>> No.14042625

You could read Gilgamesh and Atrahasis if you're so inclined. Lots of parallel between flood myths in those texts and the ones found in like Theogony and Metamorphoses, and even the Bible.

>> No.14042675

>>14042506
No, I tried to start with the Egyptians but skipped to the Greeks because they were so boring. I did read a world history book so I knew the basic history of
Mesopotamia though.
They didn't leave many writings behind or what they left has barely survived so most things we know about them is through archeological findings, stuff like buildings, pottery, etc. You would need to read a lot of secondary sources.

>> No.14044113

Bumpé

>> No.14044146

>>14042506
You'll never understand Homosapien lit if you don't start with the Neanderthals

>> No.14044163

This is a tragically beautiful mindset I find in every interest or hobby I've ever been a part of: the constant spiral of prerequisites. I only wanted to read The Odyssey, now I'm studying the blurred line where drawing began to meet writing. It is irrelevant; no matter how hard you try, you will never fully understand the context that The Odyssey was written within. So just read whatever you're interested in and fill in the blanks. There are infinite "prerequisites" and if you try to fill them all you will simply give up.