[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 157 KB, 772x999, master-copy2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14029806 No.14029806 [Reply] [Original]

What is it like to read Don Quixote in Spanish? What kind of quirks does it have when compared with contemporary Spanish? Doable for someone with decent modern Spanish literacy?

>> No.14029876

one bump

>> No.14029924

Also want to know.

>> No.14029977

I have not read an eng version of the Quixote.
As for modern Spanish n the Quixote, it takes a sec to get use to it (like reading Shakespeare) they use a lot of words that are no longer use in Spanish, “que de mi no PODREIS llevar sino una HIGA”

So pondréis it’s easly understood podrás.
Higa it’s a word that it’s not normally used anymore, it means resentment.

So if you buy a book with annotations it will help, if you don’t, then it’s going to take you longer.

There are jokes, and certain passages that I feel can’t be translated. Or even names, Dulcinea (sweet, candy) the name of an ugly woman that Don Quixote believes to be this beautiful princess. I believe they keep the same name in eng.

>> No.14030133

>>14029977
I am more interested in how Sancho's endless strings of proverbs come off in the original language
In the translation I read, Don Quixote's speaking becomes hilariously mean almost every time Sancho opens his mouth, is Spanish a good language to be mean to people in or something?

>> No.14030353

>>14030133
More like germanic languages are too autistic to capture the subtleties of his flowery speech

I can only imagine what it sounds like in german with all of its retarded compound words.

>> No.14031410

>>14030133
Yes, plenty of funny insults.

>> No.14031606

As Pascal has said
>When we see a natural style, we are astonished and delighted; for we expected to see an author, and we find a man. Whereas those who have good taste, and who seeing a book expect to find a man, are quite surprised to find an author. Plus poetice quam humane locutus es. Those honour Nature well, who teach that she can speak on everything, even on theology.

When I read Don Quixote I expected an author but encountered a man. One feels sympathy and close to Cervantes as soon as the first pages are read. His use of language is compelling, however the text remains as a product of its time. One could find the same power in Quevedo's prose, but the main difference between the two authors is that Cervantes feels more natural and less demanding.

>> No.14032133

>>14029806
> What is it like to read Don Quixote in Spanish?
Deeply moving, I don´t mind to cringe

>> No.14032154

>>14029806
>What is it like to read Don Quixote in Spanish?
There is nothing else like it. It was actually the book that got me into reading seriously.

>> No.14032286

>>14029977
Can you recommend a specific Spanish annotated edition of Don Quixote?