[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 143 KB, 750x882, image0-26.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13979690 No.13979690 [Reply] [Original]

If you were to start your life over at 21 what would you have done differently? And, if so, what books sparked this change?

And yes, i am 21 and yes i am seeking advice here to make the best of my life so there are no regrets for when im 30 or sumn.

>> No.13979701

Immediately stop masturbating and fornicating and go after chastity, continence and perfection

>> No.13979719

Nothing. There's nothing I could have done to prevent my life from the way it is now

>> No.13979725

>>13979701
This(so you can dedicate yourself to higher causes), and start learning latin(if you're already fluent, start learning ancient greek).

>> No.13979735

>>13979690
I would have committed suicide then.

>> No.13979740

>>13979690
If I were 21:
I would stop drinking alcohol.
I would stop eating fast food.
I would go for a walk or a run literally every single day.
I would start and end each day with a tall glass of water.
I would identify my four primary hobbies/interests and do them on a semi-daily basis for the rest of my life.
I would divert 15% of my wages into a high-interest savings account for the rest of my life.
I would teach myself how to talk to women in a polite and effective manner, especially emphasizing honesty, directness, and emotion.
I would read at least one book per month for the rest of my life.
I would visit my siblings, parents, and extended relatives at least once a month to the end of my life.
I would stop using social media.
I would stop watching television and Netflix.
I would stop listening to music while commuting or moving (music, in general, is fine, but not as background to your entire day's activities; if you're listening to music, just listen to music, nothing else).

>> No.13979779

>>13979690
I'm 20 atm, so i can provide you with an answer based on experience.

Based on my intuition and what i perceive from older people, there are always regrets, the grass is always greener on the other side. I'd say to have least regrets, follow the most simple advice i can give "be good and have fun". It seems to be oversimplified, but if you truly follow it, you won't go wrong. And try to question your beliefs about your idea of "good" and "fun", if you do that you life additionally gains meaning.

It's often true that people who see themselves as woke villains and cynics think that there are sheep and wolves. But in reality you can be a dog to help sheep grow and wolves to redeem themselves.

That's some general advice

>> No.13979791

>>13979690
I would finished a degree if I didn't have to take out loans. That useless piece of paper will make it much easier to get literally any job, compared to being a drop-out.
I would try to limit time used on Youtube and booze.
I would avoid using hard drugs.
I would educate myself about losing healthcare at 26 (in the US).
I would try to avoid escapism as much as possible.
I would try to follow my main passion as much as possible.
If I wanted to get married, I would be looking at how to talk to women/show interest without being an asshole.
I would try to learn to talk to people in general.
I would try to maintain friendships that aren't destructive for as long as possible.

>> No.13979797

>>13979740
you're using social media right now

>> No.13979798

i would have definitely found a few hobbies, and stuck with them consistently. the only one i truly stuck with was language learning, and that, through the years, brought me to proficiency in a number of languages. However, being in my late 20s now, I wish I had taken weight lifting, running and a manual hobby more seriously. Some sort of regular group activity as well, something outside of your work and social group.

Getting serious about your physical and mental and social health earlier than later is absolutely key. Spend as little time as possible on social media and on this god forsaken website.

>> No.13979811

>>13979690

Unironically, I would have concentrated a lot less on degeneracy. Seriously, I would not have wasted so much time and effort and genetic potential having sterile sex with a variety of, basically, sluts, and I would pursue and hopefully hook up with a woman with whom I could have children. In other words, I would have a family. Although an agnostic myself, I would remind myself that the wise consider religion useful, and since religious people are higher in intelligence, health (both mental and physical), and life satisfaction, I would probably join a church (something mainstream, like the Anglicans or something) and marry within it. A woman whose chaste behaviour is re-inforced with societal approval is more apt to refrain from cucking her husband, who will thus be less likely to waste his time caring for someone else's genetic heritage.
If you die without leaving behind children, then at least help out younger members of your family, or at the very least, people of your subspecies ("race"). If you manage to do none of these things, you have been a dead end and a waste of space. Your descendants, your family, your community: these are the only actual immortality.

>> No.13979855
File: 272 KB, 985x900, 09363A33-BB20-43AC-AB75-9E6572C3B91E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690
Not read anymore bible/theology, not vote Dole (or Clinton), not read those last cheap sci-fi books.

I was in a pretty impoverished place, in all senses of the word, but I remember wanting to learn another language or two, to drive, to escape to Alaska to gut fish for a while. To escape. To find friends and love outside the family.
I think everyone eventually finds something in their life to regret, no matter what they do with their time. But there’s nothing worse than sitting around doing nothing. And I say this as an Epicurean. You can live an active, adventurous life, and ward off anxiety, finding that lucid, robust tranquility, at the same time.

>> No.13979864

>>13979797
This is antisocial media. (Akshully)

>> No.13979869

29 here...

When I turned 21, I experienced a psychotic break, cheated on and broke up with the love of my life, and dropped out of school...

Thus, I would immediately start taking antipsychotics and antidepressants, stop using psychedelics, avoid cheating on and breaking up with my gf, and start studying harder in school so as to go to grad school.

I am finally getting my bachelor's now but would've been nicer seven years ago. Volcel these days. Not a tradfag but monogamist nowadays.

Books I'd recommend on this change in outlook? Sloterdijk's Art of Philosophy and You Must Change Your Life, Hadot's What Is Ancient Philosophy? and Philosophy as a Way of Life, Uzdavinys' Philosophy as a Rite of Rebirth, McEvilley's The Shape of Ancient Thought, Foucault's Hermeneutics of the Subject, Nussbaum's Therapy of Desire, Cognitive , Beck's Schizophrenia: Cognitive Theory, Research, and Therapy, and The Philosophy of CBT (forget author).

Oh. And I'd waste less time trying to read the history of philosophy out of order...

>> No.13979872

>>13979690
Workout, at 27 I'd be a beautiful athlete instead of a skinny fat dork

>> No.13979877

>>13979690
21 was too late for me, I was already too far gone. I could have been saved at 18-19.

>> No.13979914

>>13979855
Are you still monolingual?

>> No.13979936

I would of preferably had not the ego to be able to tell my parents that i was addicted to drugs and was using "college" as an excuse to do literally nothing but take drugs. I wouldve best case moved in with my mom so that i could afford college without paying rent. my dad saying i should get a job while in college was also advice i shouldntve taken. but i still havent finished college so to me this idea of finishing college has this kind of "youve made it", "you can finally get a job that doesnt grind you down". im not sure if this is true, but i did get a taste of the kind of jobs i would be working if i were not to finish college, and i found it lacking.

>> No.13979937

>>13979869
Also, I'd invest in crypto

>> No.13979942

>>13979690
I would take care of my health better. You think that the bad habits you have now aren't going to affect you since you don't feel it now, but they will destroy your health later and you will regret them. Drop them before it's too late.

>> No.13979943

>>13979690
I would have kms before it could get this bad.

>> No.13979972

>>13979942
And by bad habits, I don't mean obvious things like drug use or smoking. Just things like eating poorly, drinking lots of soft drinks, not getting enough sleep, not getting exercise, etc.; these things will destroy your body over time.

>> No.13979975

>>13979690
25 here and I have enacted most of the following since I was 21 and seen my physical and mental health improve greatly since then.
>Reduce consumption of sugary foods and drinks
>Spend at least an hour per day readings
>Exercise 3-4 times a week for 90 minutes
>Learn another language(s)
>Socialize with people who are very different to you (it gives you perspective)
>Travel outside of my home country
>Experiment with psychedelic drugs (be sensible)
>Talk to my family at least once a week
>Delete social media accounts
>Learn to cook for yourself and only eat fast food on special occasions

Also
>>>/adv/ next time

>> No.13979998

>>13979869
>taking antidepressants
Took them for years and all they ever did for me was flatten my baseline emotions, as soon as I came off them everything became much more vivid and intense emotionally. You don't really notice how they are tailored to make you dependent on them until you go cold turkey. It's analogous to tidying your room by shoving everything in an empty closet. I pretty much kicked depression by exercising and eating right which may sound like a very mundane approach but surprisingly enough it worked.

>> No.13980022

35 married with kids
Stop playing video games
Stop drinking alone or during the week
Start working out

>> No.13980023

i would kill myself instead of living the past 15 fucking useless nothing years

>> No.13980030

>>13979998
I'm in shape and eat healthy. I was floridly psychotic, however, for several years. There but for the grace of God, I could still be out there as a hobo or something. I received both meds at a state hospital and instantly my quality of life improved almost overnight.

>> No.13980033

>>13979740
>drinks tall glass of water before sleep
>loses sleep, unintentionally waking up early to piss

Also:
>talking to women in a polite and effective manner [with] honesty, directness, and emotion
Girls had way more fun with me when I learned to be sarcastic and witty. Most people don't usually want to feel discomfort by others, so speaking emotionally is only rarely the right call.
>I would stop using social media.
It's good to keep up-to-date with others. Just be self-aware and don't put too much weight on it.

You have an interesting take on music.

>> No.13980051

>>13979914
Yeah.

>>13980022
Good advice
>>13980023
Bad advice

>> No.13980067

>>13980030
My solution probably is not the quick way for everyone but most majorly depressed people I know/have known live in an absolute shambles. More often than not they eat nothing or eat too much, don't exercise and make no effort to assuage their situation. Bipolar disorder is something different but at least this tends to be the case for people who are depressed.
What meds do you take? I know the stuff they prescribe in my country is not nearly as powerful as what they give to people in the States until you start going above the 200mg p/d dose.

>> No.13980075

>>13979797

anonymous social media is much different than Facebook, Instagram, etc.

>> No.13980081

>>13980075
Not if you're an attention-whore tripfag.

>> No.13980082

>>13979690
I would have studied harder and would have lived a healthier lifestyle.

>>13979779
>have fun
I think this ideology of "have fun in your youth" does more harm than good. Partying hard won't make you happy. It will make you consume tons of alcohol and spend a lot of money. But won't make you happy.

>> No.13980086
File: 45 KB, 604x453, Epicurious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979855
>And I say this as an Epicurean.

>> No.13980098

>>13979690
Get on NEETbux sooner instead of going to prison first
Nah honestly woulda just worked my ass off at school and making money. All the fun things that you think you'll never get bored of, you actually eventually get bored of, so the sooner you lose entertainment as a prime motivator in your life the better

>> No.13980115

>>13979779
Stay safe.

>> No.13980123

>>13980075
>>13980081
It is antisocial media.

>> No.13980145

>>13980123
fuck off faggot

>> No.13980161

>>13980123
It's not exactly antisocial if you're talking to a real person behind a keyboard, you're still looking for conversation or a relationship with somebody through similiar interests, albeit through a mask of being an anon.

Tripfags on the other hand throw away the idea of being anonymous so that people know there's a single person behind the replies, and are looking for the attention.

Fuck off, tripfag.

>> No.13980162

>>13980067
Bipolar schizophrenic aka schizoaffective. Take an snri and next gen neuroleptic.

>> No.13980166

>>13979740
>I would stop listening to music while commuting or moving
why?

>> No.13980188

In my late teens and early 20's I used to rob people, mostly targeting drug dealers because cocaine was fun. I probably wouldn't do that again. I would stop hanging around shitty people.

>> No.13980219

I don‘t know. I wouldn’t be where I am if I didn’t make the choices I did. If I didn’t do my ‚mistakes‘ I would probably regret never trying anything stupid.

>> No.13980224

>>13979690
go to a therapist, face your fears, get out of your comfort zone

>> No.13980247 [DELETED] 

>>13980161
>It's not exactly antisocial
>Proceeds to be extremely antisocial for no fucking reason.
There’s zero relationships. The conversations around here might as well come off a wikipedia page of its all about “similar interests”. Her of course we get snark and spite and literal shit shoved our faces from malcontents who want to kill people.
>Tripfags on the other hand
Made /lit/ a good board back in the day. What you and you frenemies here religiously support here is /b/ level communication. You actually agree with me, but had to swing by to say “nu-uh!”

Fuck off, retard.

>> No.13980254

>>13980161 #
>It's not exactly antisocial
>Proceeds to be extremely antisocial for no fucking reason.
There’s zero relationships. The conversations around here might as well come off a wikipedia page if its all about “similar interests”. Here of course we get snark and spite and literal shit shoved our faces from malcontents who want to kill people.
>Tripfags on the other hand
Made /lit/ a good board back in the day. What you and you frenemies here religiously support here is /b/ level communication. You actually agree with me, but had to swing by to say “nu-uh!”

Fuck off, retard.

>> No.13980259

I would have joined the marines
Become a seal
Have over 300 confirmed kills by now

>> No.13980264

>>13979690
anon, you can't just live life like a textbook. you're going to make mistakes and have regrets. there's nothing wrong with that.

>> No.13980273

>>13980254
>Made /lit/ a good board back in the day.
I don't remember a single /lit/ tripfag from the past and I have been posting here for years. I remember a few from a different board but none from here.

>> No.13980293

>>13980254
I'd rather respond to anons who effortpost than your vacuous shitposts.

6/10, made me respond

>> No.13980309

>>13980293
>>13980273
Hah. She only flirts with me :3

And it's when I mention her pussy slamming down, swallowing my penis

>> No.13980312
File: 33 KB, 307x475, 18D0C386-E552-427B-A9CB-F49D25DB8A4F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13980273
Hi newbie. Welcome.

>>13980293
I wish I could filter your worthless posts

>> No.13980329

>>13980309
>>13980312
Like pottery

>> No.13980337
File: 85 KB, 960x801, 600710_434599706561805_1927142062_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13980309
>>13980312

>> No.13980367

>>13980082
Have fun =/= partying hard

To clarify:
I didn't think of partying when i said have fun. I meant not being too harsh on yourself, don't focus only on getting better at work or smarter. Do that, but also have some down time.

>> No.13980431

>>13980273
I would argue that there were some good trip posters back in the day like when Quintin or Deep & Edgy, or CAPSGUY would troll. There was a and a mountain of horrible tripposters though that I can't even recall even a bit. Back then I hated their guts with a passion, but looking back it was a great old time hating on them and tellin them they weren't shit.

Butterfly whatever here doesn't do anywhere near the level of quality as even the worst tripfags I can recall. Tripfags like Deep & Edgy were loved, maybe take that as a sign butterfly, that people fucking hate you.

>> No.13980439

>>13979719
based deterministposter, repeating his life yet again

>> No.13980449

>>13979690
It's hard to give understanding. Information is easy, but understanding is hard. A lot of what I know, I knew at your age, I just didn't understand it. I'm not sure how helpful I’ll be, but I'll try. Just know that you can't blame who you are now for who you were in the past. Past you won't have the benefit of having had steeped in your bad decisions.

I'd have prioritized my mental and physical health more. Your body falls apart a lot sooner than you’d think, and it doesn’t take much to ruin you. I’m not talking about smoking, I’m talking about stuff like sitting kind of funny.

Exercise with great if not perfect technique, and look up mindfulness meditation/cognitive behavioral therapy. Even if you're mentally well it's important to keep your psychological immune system healthy. Be methodical.

When you're young it's easy to think you've wasted your entire life. It's hard to understand how long life really is, and how many lives you end up leading. It’s dangerously easy to abuse your own misery. To think, well, I’m already ruined, so why bother? Self-destructive nihilist bullshit is an easy trap if you're lazy. There's also a very macho attitude towards mental health, but it's as much a part of you as anything else. You are a machine, if you take care of the machine, the machine takes care of you. It's that simple and that hard.

A lot of what we are is habit. Your thought patterns, your physical health, all of it. What you want to do is establish a pattern, which turns into a habit, and once it's a habit it's easy. Everything's hard until it's easy. Don't start big and break your goals into small manageable chunks. Done is better than perfect, and perfect is the enemy of good. So focus on building positive habits now so they’re deeply ingrained later.

It's better to practice than not at all, but it's better to practice slowly, conscientiously, and routinely than it is to practice all at once. This applies to pretty much everything. Once you get into the groove of that your stress levels will dip tremendously.

It's really hard to build friendships in adulthood, but it's also vital. Keep the connections you have. I'm not saying you should become a blustering extrovert, I'm saying that it's easy to fall and get stuck into loneliness. Get a social hobby. I know, it sucks, but it's really important.

Take care of your baseline shit before you worry about anything else. Sleep, diet, exercise. It's banal, but a lot of good advice is banal. Some people aren’t inherently mentally ill. You may just be an average person in an unhealthy environment.

>> No.13980451
File: 1.73 MB, 1018x908, 225ABE00-15DD-45B5-A90F-CC7CB2B5A4CD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13980431
Awww, poor boy.

>> No.13980459

>>13980449

Look up common red flags in relationships. It'll save you a lot of heartache. If you meet someone and your intuition tells you something is off, then something is probably off. No is a complete sentence. You don’t have to justify, argue, defend, or explain yourself to anyone.

Be very careful about what you pretend to be. Irony and sarcasm are included in this.

Regret is inevitable. It's the price of choice. Don't worry about it too much.

The boredom and monotony of adult life is crushing. It’s important to have some big overarching goal to work towards. It literally does not matter what it is. Maybe you’re chasing a degree, or you want to build a house, or you like collecting anime waifu figurines. It literally does not matter. Suffering is inevitable and joy while important is also transient. You need to find a way to suffer meaningfully.

Do a lot of stupid random shit. Volunteer, try out a bunch of different hobbies, and write it all down. Write what you like about it, and what you dislike about it, and why. Childhood to twenties are pretty much your age of gathering information. Try on a bunch of different identities. It literally does not matter. Use who you are, throw it away, build again. When you’ve had your fill start listing a Venn diagram of what you likes dislikes and whys and start building from there.

You should probably go to community college. Education isn’t a scam but the college system kinda sorta is. Also you probably shouldn’t work in academia. It’s a bunch of hyper intelligent adults acting like catty teenage girls.

There’s other stuff I’m probably missing right now but basically all the obvious and old truths that you want to roll your eyes at are extremely important and largely worth believing. It’s just hard to truly understand that until you’ve lived lived them out.

>> No.13980473

>>13979791
My main goal right now is learning how to make relationships with the opposite sex.

>> No.13980483

>>13979740
>>13979791
Seem like there no talk about leaving this site . I guess 4chan is good after all .

>> No.13980487

>>13979975
>Delete social media accounts
Ive started talking to girls and it seems like almost all of them have a social media. Like, to even get their contacts they might only be willing to give their snapchat or instagram.

>> No.13980532

>>13979864
Ironic coming from a tripfag

>> No.13980542

>>13979719
This. Your mind and being are as much as they could be at any given time.

>> No.13980577
File: 41 KB, 640x427, stump.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690
>no regrets
good luck, anon. not sure if it's possible to navigate life without any regrets.
Don't be too hard on yourself, though, if you do experience regret. Shit happens.

>> No.13980611

>>13979719
This. My fate was sealed the moment I inherited the genes for weak jaw and wimp skull.

>> No.13980615

>>13980532
Why wouldn’t I know this is antisocial media?
Maybe you don’t know what irony means. w/e

>> No.13980617
File: 193 KB, 357x520, book rec.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also, my book rec is pic related

>> No.13980638

I would have studied to enter a good college and graduate. I would have had a job by now instead of being a disgusting NEET

>> No.13980647

You'll have regrets lad, there's no avoiding it. Live your life on your own terms to the best of your ability, pursue what you care about and do your best not to compromise what convictions you hold sincerely.

>> No.13980649

>>13979690
>If you were to start your life over at 21 what would you have done differently?
I would drink less soda, it is just empty calories.
I would floss, brush, and rinse twice daily and have regular dentist appointments.
I would take the Bible more seriously.
I would buy a couple heirloom quality guns instead of a bunch of shitty guns.

>> No.13980664

>>13980337
>o-one pag of condombs
>benis in vagene

You had one job spurdmemer.

>> No.13980667

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard a wise man say,
‘Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free.’
But I was one-and-twenty,
No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard him say again,
‘The heart out of the bosom
Was never given in vain;
’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
And sold for endless rue.’
And I am two-and-twenty,
And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.

>> No.13980698

Stopped studying law immediately and switched to either engineering or architecture.

>> No.13980700

>>13979690
Drop out of university instantly and spend a year working part time and going to therapy and practicing prayer and meditation every single day. Also regulate my eating habits so that I dont have to lose the weight when Im older ( its a bitch to do ).
After you figure yourself out go back to education with clear purpose and determination and ace it, get it all done and finish ASAP.
It's ok to study humanities and you can make a good living off of it but you have to be the best of the best.
Follow your true interests, because all jobs suck, so you might as well pick one that won't suck as much. Don't pick a carreer purely for money o practicality because you won't have the motivation to get it done (unless you max out willpower).
Also money in general is way less important than you think.
Also stop obsessing over love and relationships until you got your degree and have a job. Its a giant fucking distraction that leeches your attention and strength. You must crush your pride, lust and vanity to succeed.

>> No.13980709

>>13980023
What happened
Or didnt happen?
Tell your story

>> No.13980789
File: 227 KB, 916x1173, 1568848388394.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690

Would remind myself every day: "Perfect is the enemy of Good"
Would fortuitiously stumble upon Jared Taylor's 'American Renaissance' publication.
Would go to trade school.
Would learn to read music properly and record some albums in my spare time, even if I didn't intend to distribute them.
Would spend little money on frivolous things until I have a nice house in the country and sizeable long-term investments, only then would I get jiggy with it.
Would not put pussy on a pedestal.
Would be more pratical and less romantic in my notions.
Would lose excess weight before starting to lift.
Would start my own family ASAP.
Would reconcile with my father.

>> No.13980850

You will have regrets no matter what. LIfe doesn't have a textbook manual. Just try to live "reasonably" (as cliché as it sounds)

>> No.13980876

>>13979690
Had a better plan after getting an English degree.
Gone to grad school sooner instead of taking 2 years off.
Moved the fuck out of the city I was in, where my social group was my stoner high school friends.
Never started smoking weed.
Tried sex/dating instead of waiting.
Read more. Written more.

>> No.13980983

>>13980611
Imagine relegating yourself to a life of pathetic unwilling ascetism because of some shitty aesthetics. Lower than the lowest of dogs. Unfit to be called a human being, and i mean that with all the sincerity i posess. I'm caught in a fit of overly dramatic guffaws while stroking my perfectly chiseled chin beneath its ideal manicured full beard. God i love myself, how anyone can think its fitting to consider me on the same plane of existence as the rest of you is beyond me. Jack my dick in the mirror cum 15 times i wish i could impregnate myself

>> No.13980994

>>13979735
Based and blackpilled

>> No.13981027

>>13979740
The music most people listen to isn't worth actually listening to in the sense you mean, hence it functions as a background.

>> No.13981037

>>13979735
By the time you kill yourself its always too late

>> No.13981103

>>13979690
i would have tried to work it out with the girl i was seeing at the time instead of splitting up
even now i miss her

>> No.13981115

>>13979690
If you weren't reading regularly before puberty, you will NEVER experience it the same way people who did do, it's too late for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia

>> No.13981124

get my life together after conscription instead of mulling over meaningless useless shit

>> No.13981200
File: 14 KB, 360x360, 155165573945.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690
1. Take dmt

not even joe rogan memeing, 21 is absurdly the best time to ego death. You'll be less prone to materialism and worthless pleasures overall.

2. Look up Dilbert's One Page Personal Fiance list.

>> No.13981277

>>13981200
Why is 21 the best time to ego death?

>> No.13981289

>>13981037
It really is.

>> No.13981355
File: 122 KB, 900x682, 1555255303081.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13981277
The majority of the population has already experienced with alcohol/weed party culture, gone through their own mini type of personal philosophy, developed an ego and is finishing uni or just starting a career.

It all depends on personal development but the majority have gone through enough by 21 to make it meaningful enough. Even if you haven't done any of that; usually your own personal self worth ego has developed enough. I've known straight-edge private school christian cath-pilled virgins (no diss intended) take dmt both at vastly different ages. All of them wished they took it earlier.

>> No.13981356

>>13980483
Kinda. It's more of the "you're stuck here forever" thing.

It's nice to always have a place to go back to, where people have a similar outlook/attitude when you can't relate to anybody in a work environment. 14-26 is a long time of lurking, and I've never had friends who didn't also lurk. People change as you get older though.

>> No.13981417
File: 44 KB, 220x220, tenor (1).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13981356
I manage to cure my YouTube addiction and porn addiction. never felt welcomed on reddit .But 4chan Is a beast that can not be cured.

You truly are here forever. although I am more isolated then I ever was although having achievement that should fix Life . I'm glad that I have frens on 4chan that I can shitpost with . I love you guys. Thank you for all the fun times

>> No.13981423

>>13979740
this is a good one. my list would be similar

>> No.13981428

>>13980983
You think you're so smart, don't you? "I" didn't relegate myself to anything. This existence did. Every single aspect of it has converged into being which optimizes by getting rid of me as expediently as possible, including my own aspects. By condescending to me you're just confirming the truth, even if for your own ego you wish for it to come from an intellectual place rather than a limbic one.

>> No.13981447

>>13981417
i quit for months until today. hoping it doesn't turn into an addiction again

>> No.13981490

>>13979864
Shut up fag

>> No.13981497

>>13979855
>But there’s nothing worse than sitting around doing nothing. And I say this as an Epicurean. You can live an active, adventurous life, and ward off anxiety
You are not an Epicurean. Apologize to Epicurus.

>> No.13981532

>>13979690
I would've switched to premed at college

>> No.13981566

>>13981532
Why? I'm two weeks into graduating med school and I'm not even studying for the last exam. It's a disgusting depressing place which doesn't care about anything but money and materialism

>> No.13981607

>>13981566
To help market my short story collections

>> No.13981621

>>13980483
>I would stop using social media

>> No.13981630
File: 105 KB, 800x679, flat,800x800,070,f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13981621
Kek thinking 4chan is social

>> No.13981637

>>13981630
Talking to people, even in the autistic way it's done on here, is still social.

>> No.13981639

>>13981607
But if your stories are not about med why would anyone listen? Not everyone is jordan peterson. However, I like your reasoning. Thought you actually wanted to be a doctor.

>> No.13981653

>>13981637
>thinking there are people on this site

>> No.13981655

>>13981428
whooosh lmaooo

>> No.13981657

>>13981655
whooosh lmaooo

>> No.13981694

>>13979690
Lift weights.
Don't drink alcohol.
Don't drink caffeine.
Find God.
I was a fedora tipping Atheist at 21. I read the God Delusion and everything.

Do any of these and you will have improved your life immeasurably. I especially recommend lifting weights.

>> No.13981720
File: 19 KB, 357x499, merton-chuang-tzu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13981694
I forgot my book recommendation. It's pic related.

>> No.13981722

>>13981694
why can't i drink caffeine

>> No.13981741

>>13981722
because you're addicted. You can't even function without it. Your constantly in adrenal fatigue, you question yourself "why doesn't it work anymore!?!?!?". Kick it and use it for rainy days when you need it.

>> No.13981745

>>13981722
>>13981741
I am not the original anon you were replying to, btw

>> No.13981752

>>13981741
>>13981745
how long does it take to break the addiction

>> No.13981774

>>13981752
It took me three days of rough headaches. But If I were you, id buy decaf and start with that. Going cold turkey is not necessary.

>> No.13981800

>>13981752
Try replacing eat with tea and a walk.

addiction can not be removed but with replaced with healthy habits.

>> No.13981806

since we are on the topic of regrets, i am graduating with a STEM degree. anyone here think it's worth it to go to grad school?

>> No.13981914

>>13980449
>>13980459
Thank you very much for the wise words anon. They are greatly appreciated. Good Luck.

>> No.13981984
File: 90 KB, 400x386, merton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13981720
Based Merton

>> No.13982010

>>13980449
>>13980459
Reads like proper fatherly advice. Thanks.

>> No.13982039
File: 59 KB, 395x401, 1408995760152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979740
>high-interest savings account
doesn't exist retard

>> No.13982058

>>13981741
This. It ironically makes you more tired. Kind of like cigarettes, it creates its own dependency. Caffeine is a dumb meme.

>> No.13982068

>>13982058
Yeah but there's nothing like a cup of coffee and a cig in the morning desu

>> No.13982085

>>13980449
This is extremely solid advice.

>> No.13982089

>>13982068
There's nothing like waking up and feeling just as good (But better because you don't cough all the time).

>> No.13982113

>>13982068
Not being addicted to coffee and cigarettes is better.

>> No.13982152

I have a very silly question to ask if its alright.

How in the world does one manage to kick out the following vices :

- Overall laziness/complacency
- Terrible memory
- Constantly thinking about sex
- Narcissism/self-absorbtion
- The inability to get started on things

I'd say these are the main issues that every youngster is battling today. I'm not looking for an unrealistic perfect solution, but a set of solid tips to follow would be really really fantastic.

>> No.13982154

>>13981722
It took me 5 times to finally quit caffeine for good and I had the nasty headaches every time. Just very easy to relapse on because it's so widely available and easy to justify to yourself when you need a "boost".

>> No.13982178

Is there anybody vouching for keeping a diary ? Or is it overrated ?

>> No.13982179

>>13982152
>- Constantly thinking about sex
Don't watch porn.

>- Overall laziness/complacency
>- The inability to get started on things
You need to do smaller projects. When you're young, your ambition is huge and you never set a realistic scope for anything. This really only changes with age and countless disappointments, or most just give up.

>- Terrible memory
I don't think you can solve this one if you absorb a lot of information. Learn to be content and set your goal as being a culmination of refined knowledge. You don't need to know or remember everything, just waht is most important.

>- Narcissism/self-absorbtion
Delete social media.

>> No.13982194

>>13982152
Do less stuff that gives "short term pleasure".
And read about Stoicism, I guess.

>> No.13982208

>>13982152
>Overall laziness/complacency
>Inability to get started on things
This is something where you really just have to force yourself to do things. You can start small (doing laundry at least once a week) to bigger and bigger projects.
>Constantly thinking about sex
Part of that is going to be hormones and natural, as you get older it won't be stuck in your head all the time. If you are religious, you can fall back on cultivating the virtue of chastity. If you aren't, you can focus on whether it's a real drive to procreate, as a biological need, or whether you just want to use somebody as a masturbatory device. There's no real easy answer, and even I find avoiding porn challenging.
>Narcissism/self-absorption
Do things for other people every so often, other than just yourself. Help your family out. Help your friends out. Volunteer. Ect.
>Terrible memory
If you take meds or do drugs, it can interfere with your memory. Otherwise, go talk to a therapist, maybe you have some unresolved issues you need to work through.

Maybe this advice helps? I still need to work on these myself too

>> No.13982235

>>13982208
>Terrible Memory
>maybe you have some unresolved issues
Is this a real thing? I have a dreadful memory, could it really be caused by psychological issues / trauma?

>> No.13982287

>>13982235
Maybe, but not always. I was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder which has been attributed partly to a tumultuous childhood. I can't remember much of pre-school - middle school and most of high school. Just flickers here and there.

But that's not always the root cause, just a possibility.

>> No.13982332

>>13980166
道可道 非常道
名可名 非常名

>> No.13982586

>>13981806
If you’re only looking to get a Master’s or considering it to get a higher paying job in industry then no, but I think academia is superior to industry so in my opinion, yes.

>> No.13982617

>>13979690
Nothing really, you're doing great champ

>> No.13982652

>>13981694
you sound fucking dreary to be honest anon

>> No.13982780

>>13979740
>I would stop listening to music while commuting or moving (music, in general, is fine, but not as background to your entire day's activities; if you're listening to music, just listen to music, nothing else).
Is this because doing so, you are using music as a cope?

>> No.13982783

>>13982652
Yeah, and it's funny that someone who has ostensibly found god would would 'especially recommend' something else on their list. Hahah god BTFO'd

>> No.13982800
File: 13 KB, 460x268, 1505215615508.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13982783
forgot pic

>> No.13983152

>>13979690
Read books
Fuck bitches (without the cringe PUA)
Learn MMA
Save and invest
Learn to trade stocks
Lift weight.

Interestingly, in my 20s I did learned how to pick up bitches and fucked them in the ass and pussy, started lifting weight at 23, started muay thai at 26, started trading stocks at 27, started reading every great books every day at 22 and travelled alot.

Don't squander your 20s with video games and anime.

>> No.13983168

Take better care of my teeth.

>> No.13983183

>>13979690
Well im 24 now, and i basically neeted my 19-23th years of my life, so basically i would tell myself to still be a neet but do more usefull stuff instead of playing mmos 24/7 till my money went tits up and had to wageslave again

>> No.13983206

>>13979740

>I would stop listening to music while commuting or moving (music, in general, is fine, but not as background to your entire day's activities; if you're listening to music, just listen to music, nothing else).

why this one?

>> No.13983407

>>13983206
not him, but this is me

>>13983183

I bicycle to work now wich is around 20 minutes, i dont plug in anything anymore, music is distracting, i use that time to think about my day, what i could have done better, what i could have done worse etc, i mostly fantasize tho, wich is also not really good, i just mainly try to get my thoughts in one piece, consolidate

>> No.13983469

>>13979701
Good thing I'm starting this at 20 already, yay me

>> No.13983533

>>13982178
it's good. a lot of my writings were born as snippets and observations in the diary. it can aid memory and capture those fleeting moments of verbal inspiration

>> No.13983540

>>13982332
dao ke dao feishan dao nigaa

>> No.13983610

>>13980166
I agree with this a lot, it's something that I started doing this year and it just makes me feel a lot better, much more present. You shouldn't be walking around with one of your primary senses willfully ''blindfolded''

>> No.13983746

>>13979690
dropped out of college

>> No.13983975

>>13979690
FINISH THE FUCKING SCHOOL

>> No.13984009

>>13979690
Take more responsibility in my studies and do my best to live a healthier life.

Stoner by John Williams

>> No.13984198

>>13979855
What's wrong with reading a few sci-fi books, genuine question butterfly ?

>> No.13984214

>>13982652
>not numbing yourself with drugs and looking after your body is dreary
Ok mate

>> No.13984224

>>13982783
>>13982800
I'm not going to change the mind of an Atheist in one post but I might persuade someone to lift weights. It was just being realistic.

Furthermore, the deterioration of body and mind is partly responsible for our moral deterioration. Fixing your physiology is a good first step to improving your outlook.

>> No.13984366
File: 28 KB, 384x384, 1562027831527.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690
Don't waste your time, mental processes and resources on women.
Read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
Just have a simple job (or study hard to earn more money), and never overthink the whole thing.
Enjoy the small things in life, never think about "what if".
Don't waste your time with religion or spirituality.
If you study philosophy, check nihilism, absurdism, zen and stoicism. You'll never need more.
Don't try too hard to change the otside world, but learn to rule your own mind.
Bros before hos.
Don't ever give a fuck what others think about you, or else anxiety will dominate your life.
No regrets. Seriously.
Life is meaningless, but this is a good thing. You'll feel free. You'll understand that the bad stuff also doesn't matter in the long run.

My 2 cents.

>> No.13984458
File: 80 KB, 413x594, just be yourself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690
>what would you have done differently?
Oh boy.

- I would not waste time on bloviating "experts". There's only so long you can fool yourself with "be patient, maybe it's just a tough concept."
- I wouldn't waste time on assholes. There's only so long you can fool yourself with "if they hired this jerk, he must be good at something."
- I would start doing drugs conscientiously, to help me focus or relax, instead of just thinking "drugs are bad, mmmkay."
- I would milk the system for welfare, food stamps, government discounts, whatever I can get to support me instead of working shitty jobs out of some misguided sense of honor.
- I would not share my nerdy interests with people that don't appreciate them. It is selfish to assume that everyone wants the same thing out of life as me. We are fortunately not all created equal.
- I would spend less time talking to other people and trying to make friends. If you have to force it, you're missing the point.
- I would screw more high-T chicks with bad acne instead of chasing neurotic "Staceys" who want to change positions every 10 seconds.
- I would take more opportunities to lie, cheat, & steal from the bad guys instead of thinking "but anon, you'll be just like them".
- I would think critically about whether or not I want to follow the herd, instead of being a knee-jerk contrarian.

Helped me avoid being #betaasfuck:
Hagakure
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Portnoy's Complaint

Made me more effective:
Getting Things Done
Structured Procrastination
Marie Kondo's Book
The No Asshole Rule
Bullshit Jobs (Graeber)

Taught me how the world works:
Class (Paul Fussell)
(insert name of any book people have warned you against reading for any reason)

Taught me how a real brainlord thinks:
Feynman's and Edward Tufte's books
The Selfish Gene

>> No.13984744

This thread makes me so glad that I've never seriously been into video games (or anime), besides really casual stuff every once in a while.

>> No.13984792

>>13979740
pretty good list, 30 yo here.

>> No.13984815

I’m 25 and my life is honestly good so far, though I think I’m coming to an important fork in the road.

Things I’m glad I did:
Developed an interest in reading
Developed an interest in hiking/backpacking
Developed an interest in film
Learned a second language
Finished undergrad
Nurtured a solid exercise routine
Neglected to download instagram/Snapchat/tinder
Worked abroad and in a conservation corp

Things I wish I’d done sooner:
Be nicer, in general
Take things less seriously
Drink less
Stop smoking
Stop video games
Run

Things I want to do moving forward:
Stop porn
Keep a more diligent journal
Write more in general
Take more photographs
Curtail my internet usage
Curtail my phone usage
Think more about others, reach out to my family more often

It’s a process, we’re all figuring it out. A few books I’ve enjoyed over the years that I think, for some reason or another, have shaped my life philosophy or critical thought (works I always find myself going back to, in thought or for rereads).
Mason & Dixon
Invisible Cities
Stoner
Society of the Spectacle
Pyrotechnic Insanitarium
The Castle
The Recognitions
Illuminations
The Waves
In Search of Lost Time
Don Quixote
Under the Volcano
Faust
The Invention of Morel
The Tunnel (Sabato)
Spinoza’s Ethics
Barthelme’s work

I want to explain why each work is special to me but I’m exhausted, want to sleep. Love you boys

>> No.13984836

>>13983152
solid truistic advice.
1. what's the rationale behind stock-trading? is it something everyone should do but just doesn't for insert xyz bs reason?
2. there doesn't seem to anything here about how to handle work and employment - or is that a non-problem and more or less something you would only waste time doing something about if you pay too much attention to it?

>> No.13984903

>>13984198
I mean the last couple of sci-fi that I read, having read tons in my teens. I just lost the appetite for them by my early 20s

>> No.13985060

>>13980667
patrician

>>13981200
>Dilbert's One Page Personal Fiance list.
This is all great advice if you have enough money that it doesn't matter what you do with it.

>>13982152
IMHO...
>- Overall laziness/complacency
People are demotivated because there's no relationship between effort & success. If losers were allowed to fail we wouldn't have this problem.

>- Terrible memory
People don't bother to memorize shit because they don't get a single benefit from remembering it. It's the same concept as "Colored People's Time".

>- Constantly thinking about sex
Go in the bathroom and jerk off, it worked for CBGB employees

>- Narcissism/self-absorbtion
The planet is too crowded to feel sorry for others. "What passing-bells for those who die as cattle?" You can regain some sympathy by helping people in trouble through FEMA, the Guard, your local EMTs, suicide hotline, etc. This is something Kurt Hahn realized during/post WW2

>- The inability to get started on things
Related to #1, and also perfectionism and thinking you only have one chance.

This next generation seems a lot less fucked up, I'm kinda jealous NGL

>>13984836
>what's the rationale behind stock-trading? is it something everyone should do but just doesn't for insert xyz bs reason?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient-market_hypothesis

>> No.13985085
File: 21 KB, 1522x487, 1570830357700.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13980098
>>13980188
>admitting to crimes on a Singhalese macramé workshop
m8...

>> No.13985119
File: 113 KB, 960x801, 1570903521323.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13980664

>> No.13985129

>>13984366
Keep listing these to yourself, I'm sure you'll really believe it eventually

>> No.13985135

Nothing.
You deserve what's coming for you if you don't realize it.
Second chances are for the weak.

>> No.13985157

>>13979690
I'm currently a 23 corporate wageslave and there is nothing I can think of that I could've done to escape my current predicament

>> No.13985190

Philosophy is wasted on the young. I have read A LOT, but all on my own, and after I was ready. You will too, when you're ready.

The key to your question is to understand what I just wrote and live accordingly. Enjoy your youth and do what YOU think is right. You could act on all our advice now and you wouldnt understand it the way we do until you get our age.

If you need me to give you an actual thing, I would give you 2 options. 1, go be an english teacher in the country who's chicks you think are the hottest. This will allow you to really enjoy that place as a 20 year old should, but it will also give you a worldly perspective for your experiences later on in life. You'll have an understanding that others do not. 2, go to war. Basically for all the reasons I just said above. I hope you dont pick the 2nd option, but it was the option I took and it definitely changed me. You will understand what it truly means to be a man after a tour of combat, and that's probably not what you are imagining it to be right now.

In short, have sex.

>> No.13985197
File: 75 KB, 900x900, unnamed (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://youtu.be/NGbU8xgg19M

>> No.13985234

I'd go and meet my fiancee 4 years earlier <:^)

>> No.13985283

>>13985119
Thank you for putting things right, anon. I hope you have a pleasant day.

>> No.13985361
File: 129 KB, 1274x370, 216b4a91e3716d2b46823164c3e185da04ad71d6264d5fb608b1b588e305a805.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stop browsing imageboards and wasting your precious curiosity and time on them.

>> No.13985386

>>13985190
Fuck off gramps

>> No.13985437

>>13979740
>>13979791
>learn to talk to women
If you could only tell me how an extremely introverted, semi-autistic, young man can do that.

>> No.13985463

>>13985190
This kind of ideology you have is pretty shitty and leads to a shitty lifestyle that will make him miserable if he listen to you.
The generation that fell for this is suffering with tons of deaths of despair.

>> No.13985472

Don't drop out of uni.
Change majors from that STEM shit and do history because you love it.
Fuck the >lol good luck getting a job

>> No.13985492

>>13985472
This, if you study something you love you’ll have a better chance coming out on top and you will find a job (assuming you play the social game right)

>> No.13985591

>>13985463
No, you're just narrow minded. What ideology did you imagine I was implying?

>> No.13985611

>>13985591
>Philosophy is wasted on the young.
>Enjoy your youth and do what YOU think is right.
>chicks you think are the hottest. This will allow you to really enjoy that place as a 20 year old should

This is crap.

>> No.13985673

>>13985060
How are Zoomers less fucked up? I’m asking as a Zoomer

>> No.13985690

>>13979740
>I would divert 15% of my wages into a high-interest savings account for the rest of my life
Some things never change.

>> No.13985697

>>13979740
Amazing list

t. 21 yr old

>> No.13985716

>>13980449
>>13980459
Based. Only thing I disagree with is that academia is full of hyper-intelligent adults, many of them are quite mediocre. This is more true as time passes on.

>> No.13985735

Holy fuck this thread. "Self improvement"fags have to be the most insufferable douchebags on the internet. You did what you did because you wanted to and it's in the past now. No, you don't have to be hyper critical of yourself for every second that you didn't spend doing something that impresses others.
>b-but I wasn't counting my macros or drinking EXACTLY 8 glasses of water a day or burning all of my books
>now I am this perfect Greek god because I don't touch my peepee anymore!
Literally have sex, you Fags haven't changed from when you were 21; still living according to society's standards, afraid of how you'll be perceived and searching for its validation. You are not perfect and life is very short. It does not start today or tomorrow or when you just so happen to meet your arbitrary standards for when you can "REALLY be alive", life instead, HAS already begun and you've just been deluding yourself and seeking validation as a form of cope.

I'm glad I read my books and did what I did, even if they were "mistakes". Such is life, to live fail and learn, and not just to learn.

>> No.13985748

>>13985735
>the most insufferable douchebags on the internet
Nietzsche wannabes like you are worse.

OP asked for life advice based on their experiences and they gave them.

>> No.13985754

>>13985735
>"Self improvement" fags have to be the most insufferable douchebags on the internet.
Actually, I think that would be you. OP asked for advice and people have been giving it and trying to help out younger anons. Nothing wrong with that.

>> No.13985791

>>13985748
Shut the fuck up. Faggots talking about "what could have been if only I didn't browse 4chan!!!". You don't know shit about what could have been. You're just being critical of your past choices because it's easier than being critical of the ones you can make now.

The most profound humans to have existed still did stupid shit, were fat, drank all day, made stupid decisions, enjoyed leisure time, "wasted time" and in general, didn't need to practice any of your arbitrary rules of life to find happiness or success. All your self improvement bullshit and advice is empty methods for doing a whole lot of nothing. Get laid.

>> No.13985807

>>13985791
How do I know you are a miserable person?

>The most profound humans to have existed
Who were they?

>> No.13985813

I would have gotten hard skills, ones that are marketable and would get me a good paying occupation instead of bothering with college.

>> No.13985840

>>13985813
Don't think like that, you learned a lot at college from the experience.

>> No.13985841

>>13985791
>The most profound humans to have existed still did stupid shit, were fat, drank all day, made stupid decisions, enjoyed leisure time, "wasted time" and in general, didn't need to practice any of your arbitrary rules of life to find happiness or success.
I'm not sure that's true. And it sounds like a cope.

>> No.13985848

>>13979690
At 21 I had already done everything to shit my life up. At 21 I had already gotten myself back together and tried to build something constructive from the scrap. Turning back to then would teach me literally NOTHING. Maybe I would have a shot if I went back to 17.

Anyway:
>look out for your friends
>cut ties if someone gets involved in drugs
>read more books
>buy a decent fucking chair for your back
>don't stop exercising

>> No.13985871

>>13985841
>on lit
>worship authors
>they were mostly outcasts, autists, bitter, unhealthy individuals that usually killed themselves
>complete opposite of plebbit self improvement
>still found success
He's right though, cookie cutter advice is for losers. Just live your life and learn from your experiences rather than being an incel that sits inside all day asking what he should and shouldn't do.

>> No.13985898

>>13985871
>outcasts, autists, bitter, unhealthy individuals that usually killed themselves
> found success
I don't think you know what success is. I wonder what your choices of books are if that's all you read.

> Just live your life and learn from your experiences
That's a very anti-intellectual way of looking at life that will likely lead you to live a shitty life. There is nothing wrong with learning with others what were their mistakes.

>> No.13985907

>>13985871
Not all authors behaved like that. You know very well that's not true. And most authors still took advice from others and learned from others, which is the point of this thread, and some were even exceptional humans.

>> No.13985914

90 percent of writers who would live in todays age would gamble, drink alcohol, fuck whores, do hard drugs, they probably wouldnt even write unless there was good money in it

>> No.13985943

>>13979690
age =/= wisdom
if someone above the age of ~27 is posting here, you should not be taking their advice on anything other than what NOT to do, e.i. the shit that lead them to be hanging out with a bunch of kids shitposting about black dick and judaism.

>> No.13985949

>>13985914
Why do you want others to live a dissolute lifestyle, instead of a healthier one?

>> No.13985975

>>13985898
There's a difference between self reflection and whining about your past; one is a reason and the other an excuse.

>> No.13985976

>>13985949
I dont. Im just saying that if you would put the vast majority of those writers in the modern era, they would live a fucked up degenerate life. They would waste time here on imageboards, they would play videogames, they would do drugs, party, fuck etc etc. Do you really think they would go all zen en spend time writing for the retards of our age?

Just dislike how people think these guys are superhumans, they were talented but were talented in the right timeline.

>> No.13985979

>>13985975
Your post has nothing to do with mine.

>> No.13985982

>>13985976
Some of them might be in the film industry

>> No.13985981

>>13985943
>if someone above the age of ~21 is posting here, you should not be taking their advice on anything
Fixed that for you.

>> No.13985990

>>13985982
I guess, but also wat i want to say, is that they all would laugh at us and tell us to shut the fuck up, do some coke and go fuck some whores.

>> No.13985994

>>13985981
really, you shouldn't take anyone's advice if they're posting here

>> No.13986000

>>13985976
Not everyone who reads books wants to be a writer. I don't see your point.

>> No.13986012

>>13979690
21 is too late for me
I would need to go back to being 14

>> No.13986013

>>>/adv/

we need a self-help board....and a youtuber one

>> No.13986015

>>13985976
>I dont. Im just saying that if you would put the vast majority of those writers in the modern era, they would live a fucked up degenerate life. They would waste time here on imageboards, they would play videogames, they would do drugs, party, fuck etc etc. Do you really think they would go all zen en spend time writing for the retards of our age?

What do you mean by "put them in this era"? Someone with the same "genetic code" they had but raised in this era? Or getting a time machine and bringing them as they were for this era?

>>13985990
Why do you think they would be so much more hedonistic than most common people of this era are?

>> No.13986023

>>13985994
>>13985943
Who should you be taking advice from?

>> No.13986029

>>13979690
>install arch linux immediately, go full linux autist
>read uncle teds industrial society and its future and unqualified reservations
>read 1984 and brave new world
>get rid of all computers, laptops and phones
>noporn.jpg + lowfap.png
>read bible, dostojevski and camus
>learn to play the guitar or the piano
>learn to dance
>do casual sports on the side
>don't give a fuck about finishing a university degree "in time"
>learn history and do mathematics
>start reading interesting shit, find a career
most important step would be to get rid of computers, laptops and phones.
>inb4 i sound like an edgy teenager
i already know.

>> No.13986032

>>13986013
cringe

>> No.13986036

>>13985976
This. Self improvement/Jack of all trades sheeple people never amount to anything except living a completely average life (which is what they sought anyway).

If you want exactly the life that other's have, then do exactly as they tell you (cookie cutter advice). If you want your own life, then live it to your own standards and make your own decisions. I just do not like one size fits all advice because it's bullshit and leads people into living their life to someone else's design.

The low and dark road is more dangerous, but the reward at the end will be worth it.

>> No.13986041

>>13986023
a priest

>> No.13986051

>>13986036
This is such an anti-intellectual take.
>Ignore everything others say and just #YOLO bro

Disregarding common advice such as "don't take hard drugs" usually don't lead to a rewarding life. It leads to the shitty life of an addict and misery.

>> No.13986053

>>13986029
forgot this
>t. somone who fucked up his life badly by wasting his life on the internet

>> No.13986057

>>13986041
How is the advice of a priest (assuming they are a good one) any different from the ones here?

>> No.13986063

>>13986051
but dude bro haha omg lol ur fav writers haha bro i'm telling u they were on meth and weed and xanax haha try it for urself ;) live ur life and ignore cookie cutter advice, u'll never be anything that way haha you fucking retard, everyone on 4channel is evil and gay and don't follow their advice, just do drugs and live and learn duh

>> No.13986066

>>13986057
>how is a man devoted to God any different from a bunch of autistic losers who masturbate 3 times a day to incest porn and hentai

>> No.13986071

All this thread boils down to is a bunch of ego inflated fags thinking they suddenly have life solved because they finally stopped touching their dicks so much. It's all internal Fags, you could have been "superman" starting at age 0 if you just weren't such a pussy.

>>13986029
You're retarded.

>> No.13986086

>>13986066
The advice here is: live a healthy life, avoid vices and find a good woman to marry. This is more or less the same thing a good priest would tell you.

>> No.13986096

>>13986086
no

>> No.13986097

>>13986051
No such thing as "advice", just people seeking validation from each other.

>>13986063
Oh we got a mad one! Thought you were 100%perfect 10/10 alpha bro? "C-crabs in a b-bucket...." gonna leave this place because it's keeping you down? You haven't changed one bit from when you were 21.how's that feel?

>> No.13986100

>>13986071
>You're retarded.
don't hate on me. i'm just stating what would have helped me by listing what actually did help me in the end (although i haven't learned to play an instrument yet, that's just something i have regretted all my life. will start next month or something ..)

>> No.13986108
File: 150 KB, 1274x865, af2f148052866fa3f8aa3d230281eab7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey kid, you want some advice?

ACTIVE SUFFERING LEADS TO PASSIVE PLEASURE; ACTIVE PLEASURE LEADS TO PASSIVE SUFFERING.

Suffer wisely and bear your cross.

>> No.13986109
File: 69 KB, 748x748, 1562562254315.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Before we talk about it we have to presuppose what your values are. If it's all about maximizing pleasure or thinking we all die anyway, then there's no point in changing anything. If you want a more fulfilling virtuous life, then the point is to do things.
Video games and alcohol took away a lot of my teens and twenties. Having my heart broken repeatedly and then coping with booze and sleeping with women I didn't love filled me with even more regret.

I hate that I never focused on one skill for long enough to get good at it. I can play a handful of instruments, games, graphic design, socializing, write, and hell, I'll be a lawyer later this month hopefully, but jesus christ I'm not GOOD at anything in particular. 2000 hours in DOTA 2 and CSGO really don't provide much for living a good life. I could have finished a large chunk of the western cannon, or practiced a real skill.

Go do things. Go get good at things. Don't go overboard with coping mechanisms. Read more. Practice something. Fall in love. Make friends.

>> No.13986110

>>13986097
OP is asking people to say what were their mistakes and what advice they could give him. And the posters are doing this.

No need to be a drama queen just because people gave the advice OP asked for instead of some amoral speech about "do whatever you feel like doing bro, don't think about it".

>> No.13986124

>>13986110
You're fucking retarded.

>> No.13986140

>>13986100
how do i get into linux? whats the best one for browsing shit i don't want certain AI's to know i'm browsing?

>> No.13986148

>>13986108
Basically,
>suffer somewhat now and get great pleasure later
Or
>get some pleasure now, suffer greatly later
This is life simplified to the shortest I've ever seen it.

>> No.13986160

>>13986140
ubuntu

>> No.13986185

>>13986160
so what do i do, just download it, install it then download tor? or is it like built in? i'm retarded with technology

>> No.13986205

>>13986185
start here:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Ubuntu
then go to /g/

>> No.13986207

>>13979740
I have to commute a lot to college. Its hard to read because the roads are shit and bus is crowded. What should i do instead of listening to music?

>> No.13986221

>>13986207
take some pics of the girls and post them on /b/ for me.

>> No.13986411

>>13985611
Socrates said philosophy is wasted on the young.

>> No.13986489

>>13979975
>Socialize with people who are very different to you (it gives you perspective)
this(!)

>>13980459
>If you meet someone and your intuition tells you something is off, then something is probably off. No is a complete sentence. You don’t have to justify, argue, defend, or explain yourself to anyone.
>Be very careful about what you pretend to be. Irony and sarcasm are included in this.
>Regret is inevitable. It's the price of choice. Don't worry about it too much.
and this.

Also: cook one healthy meal a day and work out. Standard advice but it's standard for a reason. You'll see what a difference it makes 10+ years down the line.

>> No.13986502

>>13986489
man you must have made some really shitty meals and had a horrible workout if you only noticed the difference 10 years down the line

>> No.13986510

>>13986411
I don't remember him ever saying that.
Socrates spent most of his time talking with young men about virtue. He didn't have your shitty philosophy of spending your youth on mindless hedonism.

>> No.13986539

>>13986489
>If you meet someone and your intuition tells you something is off, then something is probably off.
bad advice. most people are shitty and they sense "something off" about good people. better advice would be to not be so quick to judge a person who is different, and to be wary of someone who seems totally normal and genuine, because in reality, no one is truly good.

>> No.13986589

>>13986510
You should read the dialogues fren.

>> No.13986597

>>13986589
In which dialogue did Socrates tell young men to not think about the virtues and that they should spend their time on mindless hedonism instead?

>> No.13986656

>>13986140
skip fucking ubuntu. take the shortcut to arch by
>buying a cheap thinkpad for $ 50-100.
>just start installing arch linux on it, by
>reading arch wiki, and
>watching luke smith's shit on youtube.
that's all you need. keep your main computer or laptop to browse arch wiki and watch luke. arch wiki will have some page that tells you how to install a system. if you don't know some of the terms used, just google them or go ask on /g/.

after successfully installing it and configuring to the point of being actually usable to browse the interwebs, you should immediately try to switch to the new machine as your main machine.

the process will take a few days or maybe one or two weeks of 2-3 hours of daily care or so. first install may take longer. after this, you will have a hell lot of a greater understanding about linux and computer administration in general.

>> No.13986675

>>13986656
>>buying a cheap thinkpad for $ 50-100.
this was my plan actually. its strange how things work out like this. i will follow your advice as if it came from the mouth of God Himself.

>> No.13986676
File: 348 KB, 1179x2048, 0318A9AE-B429-40BF-AB9D-52BE23B6B353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My life is a million times better since becoming Catholic. Jesus Christ really is the way, the truth and the life. Sin is slavery. I wish I had the courage to acknowledge my soul when I was 21, but better late than never. Everyone in Heaven will rejoice when you return to God, you can do it anon :)

>> No.13986720
File: 36 KB, 642x772, 643cc106748bef8726c4b9fa9f0ca726.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13986676
Glad to see more people embracing liberation theology.

>> No.13986733

>>13986675
glad to hear that! good luck anon. other sources if u need help are:
>/g/ ofc
>arch reddit
>arch irc
>unix.stackexchange.com
but make sure to check first which kind of questions are appropriate.
luke also has so-called "larbs" which are install-scripts, possibly facilitating arch linux installs. i haven't used them, so i can't recommend them and i probably wouldn't since it looks like it takes away some of the learning process, but: if you get stuck or desperate at some point, it may be worth looking at it.

anyway, good luck, anon!

>> No.13986735

>>13986720
No.

>> No.13986740

>>13986597
You haven't read them lol. You have to develop in the same way OP must. You have to figure it out for yourself. Good look fren.

>> No.13986764
File: 44 KB, 524x350, 1564789466816.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13986735
So you aren't Christian, then?

>> No.13986781

>>13986740
I did read them.
Socrates did not tell young men to not think about the virtues. He didn't tell them to spend their time on mindless hedonism like you did.

>> No.13986792

>>13980259
underrated

>> No.13986814

>>13986764
>>13986764
I think you should be 100% concerned about your own life before God. If God’s plan for you is that you live a life dedicated to helping poor/oppressed then that’s wonderful. That is not God’s plan for everyone, however, and SJWs who are not actually concerned with their interior life and doing God’s mess stuff up. Obviously everyone is called to be charitable and help the poor throughout their lives, but more people should keep to themselves and not try to reshape society. Raising a humble and dedicated Catholic family is probably the task many are given, but too many people want to be famous activists and neglect what they really should be doing.

>> No.13986823

>>13986764
“Continual association with the world-historical makes a person incompetent to act.”

>> No.13986855

>>13986814
this. breeders need to stay in line. and if it weren't for birth control, they would, because you KNOW they can't go without sex. any bull dykes who can't get laid can become a nun or get burned.

>> No.13986866

>>13986855
Very hateful words anon :(

>> No.13986906

>>13986866
i hate sin.

>> No.13986920

>>13986814
>That is not God’s plan for everyone, however, and SJWs who are not actually concerned with their interior life
So you claim to know God's plan?

>> No.13986957

>>13986920
No. It just seems pretty obvious most people aren’t trying to live by it.

>> No.13986981

>>13986957
How are you aware that isn't part of His plan?

>> No.13987025

>>13979690
invest in bitcoins

>> No.13987545
File: 103 KB, 1287x278, 1566169831973.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ever since i found this on 4chan it makes me wanna do it and turn the corner from entertaining myself to death to bettering myself.
t. nearly 27 y/o

>> No.13987556

How do older anons deal with wageslavery? I've only been working a couple of years and i already can't bear it.

>> No.13987564

>>13979690
Not join the army. I wasted years of my life with nothing to show for it but chronic lower back pain and bad knees.
By the time I finish my masters I'll be 33. I could have been finished at 25 if I didn't fuck around in the army all those years.

>> No.13987813
File: 34 KB, 630x354, sgfnhtyjgfsjfdfgdh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13979690
>Actually put some effort in in school
>Murder my childhood bullies when I was young enough to get away with it (Alternatively just maim them really badly. Also since they went on to actually kill people in the future this is more to save lives than anything else)
>Use the benefit of an adult mind to not be such a cringelord as a kid
>Not hang out with losers in high school, in fact not really hang out with anyone since I'm now very used to being alone and it doesn't bother me
>Get over the attractions I had to various women back then instead of just leaving them unrequited for years until they burned out
>Leave home earlier
Really not much now that I think about it. Generally all I would do differently is just do what I already did but with the benefit of hindsight to make it less stressful. I never really made any huge mistakes, never dated or fucked anyone, never drank or did drugs, etc. I'd just want to actually get straight A's in school instead of coasting by with B-'s on zero effort, then use those grades to be able to leave home for university earlier on a scholarship so I could ghost my whole family.

>> No.13987914

If I could talk to 21yo self I'd mostly try to emphasise how your sense of time changes with age, and then it's too late. I can barely remember now, but I do know that at 18-23 I thought that I had this "adult life phase" coming, always coming but never actually there yet, and that I had infinite time to become "the sort of adult I see myself as" when that phase rolled around. I can't quite explain it, but when I was 21 it felt like I had infinite time before me, like somehow I was in this indeterminate hazy before-time that was willing to wait until I was ready to leave it, and the real, linear, "it progresses whether you like it or not"-time of adulthood wouldn't begin until I was ready or until some special moment. Then suddenly you're 27 and going "what the fuck? I was just 21, and I haven't even started any of the shit I was supposed to do before 30."

The key point being: Get into the habit as young as possible of actually doing things, and visualising the passage of years the way you do the passage of a month. Because ten years from now, a year starts to feel like a month whether you like it or not. When you eventually hit that moment, you will have two options: freak out and whine about how it isn't fair that time speeds up, OR be prepared for it, because you've already been living life as a series of limited time-periods in which to concretely accomplish concrete goals that concretely contribute to future goals.

Not sure if the point I'm making will even come across. It's just that when you're 21, you think the world is going to wait until you're ready to start running the race. But you're already running the race. Most people don't realise this until it's too late, and then they become a stillborn version of the person they wanted to be at 30. I have a guitar in my room I bought when I was 20. I have picked it up ten times in ten years, because I was always unconsciously in "I'm a guy who is going to know guitar at some point" mode - but then "some point" rolled around, and now I'm too fucking old. So don't do that.

This goes double for intellectual and spiritual development. Learn languages NOW, get into the health/exercise habits you want to get into NOW, start dedicating yourself to the things you want to study or be engaged with NOW. The way days seem to melt away when you're fucking around on the computer, playing video games - everything feels like an exception, it always feels like the perennial "tomorrow" is when you will really get serious. And then you find out you've spent 27% of your twenties watching Youtube videos and playing three video games you never even really liked. So stop making excuses, try to jar yourself out of this half-conscious dreaming-sleepwalking state of young adulthood, and tell yourself you have ten years to spend, not drift through - spend. Spending is conscious, drifting is unconscious. Most people never learn to spend their time.

>> No.13988309

>>13986781
You didnt read them all

>> No.13988503

>>13979740
>"high interest savings account"
>simping
i guess peasantry is genetic baka desu

>> No.13988705

>>13979740
>I would divert 15% of my wages into a high-interest savings account for the rest of my life.
based boomer

>> No.13988730

>>13985735
based

>> No.13988763
File: 574 KB, 750x588, 1562696081606.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>people itt saying to stop playing video games
i wish i could
the only friends i have are on the internet, and we are only friends because we all play video games

>> No.13988788

drink more so I would already be dead

>> No.13988795

>>13983469
Proud of you, anon. Keep going. Remember, the wisdom of this world is foolishness so never yield to its bad counsels. I did, it set me back many of years and gave me a heart attack.

>> No.13988928

>>13979701
Just figured this out. Its been pretty ez so far after reading the easy peasy way. Next weed and surfing

>> No.13989068

>>13988763
This shit is worse than regular social media. Everyone wants you to believe they're perfect butterflies flying far and above from you and demonize everything that doesn't give you social value ("video games and reading are a waste of time bro"). I can't believe how many times I've heard from some cuck about how he quit video games and "does productive things". Then of course, these are the same people that live unfulfilled mediocre lives, divorce their wives and become the next boomers. They're sheeple, do not listen to their lies or false images. None of us are perfect (never will be) and we each must walk our own unique paths. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're a loser and you will have a life as awful as them of you listen to them.

>> No.13989073

>>13988928
What’s easy peasy book? Link?

>> No.13989380

>>13989068
This is a nice post Anon, thank you
I still think some video games are bad, a repetitive task resulting in some stat increase that makes me feel accomplishment even though I really didn't do anything besides use up time
And, for me at least, it's very easy to clock out and play video games when I should be doing more important things.
Like with most other things the key here seems to be moderation

>> No.13989772

>>13984815
Thank you, anon.

>> No.13989929

>>13989380
You're welcome. I agree with everything you said. It really is not necessarily what you do, but rather how and why you do. Video games on their own are fine, just as with mostly everything else, it's if you're abusing them, indulging on them, or using them as escapism that they're a problem.

Another example,alcohol. You're not a drunkard loser that's going to die if you have a glass of liquor every now and then. It's if you were drinking madly every day and ignoring the rest of your life that it would be a problem. Ignore the people who want to be "perfect", they're the most empty of us all.

>> No.13989947

>>13984815
Very cool

>> No.13989949

>>13979690
You will fail

>> No.13989978

>>13979690
I would have dropped out of college and gone to a trade school.
Colleges and universities are no longer places for education.
They're there to milk the gullible middle and lower classes who at times take out enormous loans just to get a worthless piece of paper.
Chase knowledge, Anon. Don't chase a diploma, or degree,

>> No.13990012

>>13979797
there's no profile, no avatar, no selfies, and no likes/upvotes. conflating an online forum with social media is a bit of a stretch.
>>13980483
It's the last bastion of free speech on the internet. I'm enjoying the last several months it has left.
>>13981027
That's what I'm saying. I've noticed that having constant audio stimulation that doesn't do anything but subtly distract you all day, every day makes one less capable of thinking clearly. It makes everything impulsive because "there's no time to think." I've found even when I'm not online, because of how much youtube I watch, I have a harder time sorting normal things out like I used to.
>>13982039
Yes they do, but you need to keep the balance above $15k or something. But the point isn't the interest, the point is the savings. Railroad shares would do the same thing.

>> No.13990124

>>13979690
>would have went to college for electrical engineering instead of computer graphics
>would have learned Chinese, or at least started
>would have read Zhuangzi earlier
Now all I want to do is fuck hot sluts and read ancient chinese wisdom books

>> No.13990221

>>13982178
My diary is filled with my only worthwhile writings, at first it felt awkward but now it comes naturally without thought, it's all stream of consciousness and it brings about important thoughts that change things in my life, if you do just one thing in life other than try (2-3 weeks) eating plant-based in spite of everything I'd recommend journaling your thoughts, eventually they just come to you out of nowhere, but obviously these would differ based on what you read and think about.

>> No.13990296
File: 190 KB, 450x300, 1564156128771.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13985673
>How are Zoomers less fucked up? I’m asking as a Zoomer
Maybe I've been talking to different people, I dunno. In my experience:

They have a razor-sharp grasp of the difference between fact & opinion (even if they like to bullshit about opinions for fun)

They're more pragmatic about relationships and not think there's one perfect match in the world waiting for them (even if they're monogamous)

They're better at dealing with tools and retards and putting them to work on something productive

They have a lot healthier relationship with their parents and especially their dads. If you think of the "traditional" '50s family, the dad was always at work; they might as well have been raised by a single mom.

Pic related is cringey as hell but I think the "ironic but merciless" part sums it up.

>> No.13990323

>>13979690
Start gassing the jjeews.

>> No.13990345
File: 114 KB, 449x721, reverse priorities.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13985841
Yeah but that is not the definition of success. It's not like they got up one morning saying, "I want to be delivering grocery store circulars in LA in the pouring rain in the same underwear I've been wearing for 5 weeks."

>>13986036
>sheeple people never amount to anything except living a completely average life
Sounds like paradise tbqhwy

>>13986656
This guy is right, once you get the hang of UNIX arch is actually a lot easier than anything else (Windows included). It reminds me of the early "power user" distributions from the '00s.

>>13987813
This guy is an oldfag, don't know if I'd do the same thing as him but he's the real deal

>> No.13990781

>>13986656
Can someone explain why I want to have Linux? I’m a physics fag, but complete computer n00b

>> No.13990907

>>13980082
Nobody said anything about partying hard. Projection much?

>> No.13991566

>>13979740
tybg

>> No.13991624

>>13979690
To have been aware of God's love for humanity earlier. I would recommend everybody to become Catholic.

>> No.13991695

>>13979811
>I would remind myself that the wise consider religion useful, and since religious people are higher in intelligence, health (both mental and physical), and life satisfaction
Source?

>> No.13991721

>>13979972
But I unironically don't like vegetables. I never eat fast food and I've been making more homemade food but I still wouldn't call it healthy.

>> No.13991924

>>13989073
https://sites.google.com/site/hackbookeasypeasy/

>> No.13992389

>>13990781
>makes you realize how retarded windows or macos is
>makes you actually understand computing stuff and give you basic competence in setting up and maintaining stuff
>makes you realize that spending time in front of a computer is for autistic faggots
the last realization is most important result. if you already have a healthy lifestyle and spend less than 3 hours a day in front of a computer in your free time, going for linux isn't necessary. if you wish to learn about computing or go into programming, linux is the way to go. specifically arch linux or something equivalent. stay away from cuck distributions like ubuntu.

>> No.13992700

>>13980337
>spurd
>no spurdlingo
is this a bit?

>> No.13992715
File: 159 KB, 460x706, ezway.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since this is already an advice thread maybe someone can help me.
I quit smoking for a year after reading pic related, but recently picked it up again. Some of my most loved friends smoke, and I enjoy smoking with them. Should I just reread the book or can anyone give some supplemental advice? I almost immediately started coughing again.
>feels bad man

>> No.13993258

>>13980075
arguably worse

>> No.13993302

>>13979690
>If you were to start your life over at 21 what would you have done differently? And, if so, what books sparked this change?
I’m 33. I was 21 in 2007, and had just started university after an extended three year GAP year in Africa.

I would immediately quit university, as I didn’t get a decent job until I was 28. I would then get the highest paying menial job I could find, construction or something, and save as much money as I could from every pay check. I would move back in with my parents and survive off crackers and multivitamins for the next 5 years saving every penny I could spare. In 2012 I would use the tens of thousands of dollars and buy as many bitcoins as I could.

Then in 2018 I would sell everything just before the crash, retire to some south Asian country, and fuck hookers and bargirls for the rest of my life with my hundreds of millions of dollars.

>> No.13993355

>>13988928
What's wrong with surfing?

>> No.13993477

>>13979690
Skipped medics school and switched to plant biology or some natural science.

>> No.13993698

buy more bitcoin