[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.14 MB, 1508x2048, Ilya_Efimovich_Repin_(1844-1930)_-_Portrait_of_Leo_Tolstoy_(1887).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13975692 No.13975692 [Reply] [Original]

I started actually reading this summer after not reading a book for 10 years. Among the books that really rekindled my interest was notes from underground. Since to my surprise I enjoyed it a ton (I was always led to think russian books were big and boring only for people that wanted to look smart), I decided to continue reading more Russian stuff. I enjoyed C&P and then decided to try some other author, starting of course with Tolstoy.

I started with the short stories and novellas and started reading the P&V collection, now read the prisoner in the Caucasus, diary of a madman, Ivan Ilyich and kreutzer sonata. While I enjoyed what I read for now, I honestly can't stand the pervading moralizing tone. I read a bit about Tolstoy's life and thought and Jesus Christ (literally), this guy is obsessed with Christianity and it shows. All his stories feel like they could be parables in the bible. It feels like I'm listening to a priest preaching, just in a well written book form. It's kinda annoying.

Like, Dosto was Christian too but the extent is completely different. This Tolstoy guy is OBSESSED. Is Anna Karenina the same? I plan to read it either way but I'm curious. I know his short stories come in great part from the period where he really went ham with Christianity.

>> No.13975715

>>13975692
Ngmi

>> No.13975722

could you repeat taht ?

>> No.13975740

>>13975715
Is this supposed to be the acronym of something or did you just deep out?

>> No.13976467

>>13975692
Many Russian men become obsessed with Christianity as they grow older the same way Tolstoy did. Russia has a rich orthodox christian tradition, so there's plenty of material for them to work with or to soak in. Me da, for instance, as he hit his fifties started praying and reading into orthodox theology. He also used to go around the house with a miniature sanctuary lamp filled with incense whilst reading prayers. I remember I use to quarrel with him a lot about this since I was pagan at the time. God I wish I could turn the time back and just sit there quietly with him in our dimly lit kitchen and listen to him talk about it. I miss the old man.

>> No.13976526

W&p is great but does have a lot of these Christian rants. I once read a historian who had gone through Stalins' private library to look for notes in the margins. Along these passages where it reads something like "only returning to ancient Christianity will unite the Russian people" someone had written "ha ha ha"

>> No.13976645

>>13975692
>translation