[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 298x475, 12395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13953518 No.13953518 [Reply] [Original]

this book confused me a bit though it was entertaining
what do you think?

>what are the major themes
>what role does robinson play, what does he represent?
>what is the ending all about
>what does the title mean in context of the book
>what do you think of bardamu as a person

>> No.13953571

>>13953518
The title I think refers to how we are fumbling through life, unaware of where we really are or where we are going. I think he writes the line during the section where he’s in the woods trying to surrender.

Recently I thought if the section on the boat and how funny it was. He joined the war and realized patriotic valor would get him killed so he flees and volunteers to go abroad after the world. When the people on the boat find out he volunteered they are disgusted and want to kill him. You’re not supposed to volunteer for service, nor are you supposed to shirk service. You’re supposed to do what pure told and stick out your chest about how you’re stoically doing our duty. Doing what you like is abhorrent.

Another funny part is the reaction of the poor patients to his magnanimity. Doctors are supposed to take advantage of patients, genuine benevolence is seen as a pretext for some greater depravity.