[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 133 KB, 410x547, ertjfgnvbhmtyt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1393816 No.1393816 [Reply] [Original]

Here's a list of 3000 works of fiction, (it's mostly popular authors, John Grisham etc) anything here in particular you would recommend?...theres a lot of shit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9y5b9i2ckb190tx

Pic related, how I feel.

>> No.1393826
File: 64 KB, 852x480, paul8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>theres a lot of shit
3000 units of it, to be precise

>> No.1393863

I'm actually reading through the list, gimme a few

>> No.1393873

alternated colors so text wouldn't kill you, here's my limited experience

>Agatha Christie - skip
Anne Rice - I didn't care for Interview, but I liked the rest of the series. I also liked The Feast of All Saints, which is about the free people of color in New Orleans before the Civil War
>Christopher Pike - I like, but I was 13 when I was introduced. Not sure how an adult will care for the books.
Clive Barker - Books of Blood are great/twisted
>Michael Crichton - I'd recommend all of the books listed there except perhaps Disclosure for a newbie
David Eddings - I recommend The Redemption of Althalus
>Dean Koontz - I recommend One Door Away From Heaven, Strange Highways, and The Servants of Twilight. The rest are pretty shitty
Frank Herbert - Dune is a popular favorite around here, I didn't dislike it but it kept losing my interest, I'll have to re-read it a 2nd time to see if I like it properly or not
>George Orwell - 1984 is entry level, fun
HP Lovecraft - I forget which ones I liked but /lit/ can tell you the popular favorites
>Aldous Huxley - Brave New World is more fun entry level (entry level does not mean childish, it means first stepping stone into the genre, etc.)
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter is love it or hate it, if you didn't start it as a kid I wouldn't really recommend it
>J.R.R. Tolkien - LOTR is a classic, I don't like it though strangely enough I loved The Hobbit

>> No.1393876

James Patterson - skip
>John Grisham - sigh...lots of shit, I remember liking a handful of his but can't remember the names. Skip if not into legal thrillers
Jules Verne - I've only read 20k Leagues, I remember liking it though, it had vivid imagery
>Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5 is a classic, I read it several years ago and couldn't get into it but I need to re-read it
L Ron Hubbard - Fear is good, Battlefield Earth is OK but far too long
>Richard Matheson - I Am Legend is OK
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game is pretty fun
>Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 is a fun classic, I also liked The Sound of Thunder
Richard Preston - I loved The Hot Zone but it can be dense, recommended for fans of Crichton
>Robert Ludlum - skip
Robert R McMammon - Swan Song is similar to King's The Stand, it was OK
>Stephen King - not even gonna bother, try him for yourself and see if you like him or not
Thomas Harris - I like all of the books by him on that list
>Tom Clancy - skip
HG Wells - I've only ever read The Time Machine, I like it though

>> No.1393888

If it has HG Wells, definitely read those. They're generally short but always pretty great.

>> No.1393904

Stuff I would rec from that list:
Agatha Christie - read one or two of these, just to understand what they're like.
C.S. Lewis - Screwtape Letters are good, so is the Narnia series (imagine a simpler Lord of the Rings, but with lots of intentional parallels to Christianity).
Dashiel Hammett - his writing defines the 'hardboiled detective'. Red Harvest is my favorite of what's there, but you might like the Maltese Falcon since the film adaptation is a classic too.
Dickens - You must read at least one of his books
Doestoevsky - only Notes from the Underground is here, a great book but if you're not a literature nut don't bother yet.
Douglas Adams - zany comedy, he's great
Arthur Conan Doyle - these are his Sherlock Holmes stories, read at least one (they're all pretty short)
Edgar Allen Poe - READ!
Ian Fleming - creator of James Bond, these books are light reading
Isaac Asimov - read at least one thing on this list (good sci-fi)
Tolkien - LotR
Mark Twain - READ!
Ray Bradbury - READ! (good sci-fi)
Shakespeare - READ!

I cannot comment on all the fantasy and sci-fi stuff. Some people love that stuff, others consider it drivel. Google is your friend.