[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 5 KB, 196x293, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13921549 No.13921549 [Reply] [Original]

Is it a good idea to dive straight into this without reading any of his other works?

>> No.13921551

>>13921549
Sure.

>> No.13921552

I tried that and I didn't understand anything. You should probably read Ecce Homo first just to become familiar with his philosophy.

>> No.13921553

Absolutely not. It's too metaphorical for it's own good. Your time could be spent better with Beyond Good & Evil and Genealogy of Morals.

>> No.13921563

>>13921549
You wont get as much out of it as when you read his other works, but it's still good. Just remember, and this cannot be stressed enough, that this book is meant to be read out loud. Drive to your nearest forest, sit on a tree stump and read it out loud, you will notice a tremendous difference and the profound experience of u n d e r s t a n d i n g the text.

>> No.13921729

>>13921549
First read some stuff about the book (not necessarily entire books, it could be articles on the internet)
I saw a handful of videos of people talking about thus spoke zarathustra and Nietzsche in general before diving on it and it really helped.
Also, if you're choosing the lazy way (watching videos of people talking about the book on youtube) DON'T stick with one posture/reading. At least watch 5 or 6 different people talking about it if you're going to.
If you're picking a book, I'd recommend Ecce Homo (it's Nietzsche talking about his works)
It's an intense interpretative exercise, and it essentially is a book that can be read a million different ways and interpreted in widely diverse forms.
Also (as someone said above) it's too metaphorical. Keep that in mind before diving into it. It's also sort of inspired on the Luther Bible and you'll find tons of biblical references.
I'd finally recommend you to read it and underline metaphors and expressions that caught your attention. Some phrases are pretty interesting and worth remembering.
Mark chapters that you didn't understand to go back to them once you're finished.
It's good to go back and forth with this one and jumping chapters from time to time, you can't just read it lineally like a normal novel.
I'm a few pages away from finishing it and it was a wild ride. It's a hard book to get into if you're new but it really pays off
>Wtf. I've read everything he's written, you didn't understand neechee
Nobody does, pseud. You don't get to understand it in full, you just understand the generals and interpret the rest of the vague things it says.

>> No.13921760

>>13921549
Yeah i would recommend:
Zarathustra > Beyond Good and Evil > Genealogy >Zarathustra

>> No.13921775

To the others recommending starting with Ecce Homo, wtf? That’s one of his last works and it doesn’t really make sense unless you’ve read his other writings he spends chapters revisiting in EH. Start with the genealogy of morals if you’ve read Schopenhauer first or the Joyous Wisdom.

>> No.13921860

>>13921775
>joyous wisdom

>> No.13921879
File: 18 KB, 382x370, zarathrusthra.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what up it's ya boi neech here we're gonna go under the volcane and meet the fuckin cerberus SICK

>> No.13922492

Everything I've seen says read the stuff in the Basic Writings of Nietzsche and then go for The Viking Portable

>> No.13922498

>>13921549
It depends on who you are. I always recommend people to study Keiji Nishitani briefly before they get into NEETsche (he of all scholars on German philosophy has understood him the best). It will do more for you than studying Nietzsche.

>> No.13922504
File: 69 KB, 748x748, 1562039690018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13921553
i started with zarathustra, then read BGE then Genealogy. would def remember starting with either of those two simply because they are simpler and more interesting imo.

rly had to push myself to finish Zarathustra, its just wavy af and interesting passages are very well insulated with waffle

>> No.13922521

I reccomend starting with Science for the Faggot

>> No.13922522

first nietzsche i read was zarathustra and i thought it was proper wicked but dont expect to understand it all