[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 517 KB, 450x324, 1553210743890.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13900508 No.13900508[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is it too late to major in English Literature? All I enjoy in life is too write and I have a fondness for Philosophy and Linguistics but really I just want to focus on Eng-Lit and become a professor or anything that allows me to continue my love for lit.
This woudent bother me if I was going to a ivy league school full ride but since i'm going to nothing but a decent state school and don't have a wealthy family to support me I'm worried that'll just end up dead broke working some 9-to-5 coal burner job.

Is the English Literature major finally dead? Since i'm set on liberal arts will I be forced to go into some shit like Philosophy or Linguistics which has to be over run by bullshit propaganda yet?

>> No.13901178

You never told us your age. If you have more than 5 years of your life remaining, it's 100% not too late. Look into Keats life, he only wrote for about 7 years and changed the face of poetry. To be a professor would be a bit harder, unless you have formal education already.

>> No.13901523

do it if you want to
follow your dreams

>> No.13901533

>>13901523
actually, just read the part about bullshit propaganda
and I want to tell you to stay out because you're an intellectual coward

>> No.13901661

>>13900508
>since i'm going to nothing but a decent state school and don't have a wealthy family to support me
Don't worry about that. Get some scholarships for your Bachelor's. If you can't but you're still 100% married to lit, then just take out loans. If you get into a grad program, they pretty much all have you work to pay off your tuition within the school as a teacher or a writing center tutor.

>> No.13902287

>>13900508
What year are you? If you can go summa cum laude at a state school you have a good chance at going to an Ivy for grad school, which is what truly matters. All undergraduates are retards, even at Stanford or Princeton.

>> No.13903313

>>13900508
Just complete your degree and do a Master's degree in English; any retard with a degree in literally fucking anything can get in that program, especially if that retard wants to do a TESOL master's.

>> No.13903540
File: 35 KB, 351x351, Toad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13902287
All undergraduates are retards, even at Stanford or Princeton.

>t.PrincetonToad

>> No.13903550

>>13900508
>Is it too late
Whenever someone asks this, the answer is always yes

>> No.13903645

>>13900508
Of course not anon, but there are constraints that need to be dealt with or they will roadblock your decision.
From what you stated, I take it your an undergraduate still? Finnish your degree strong and start studying for your GRE, the higher this school is the better.
Start planning on what path you want to take. Focus on your writing, whether its poetry, short story fiction, history, whatever, practice, practice and more.
This is for MFA programs, but most of these also have MA programs.
https://themfayears.com/fully-funded-programs/

>> No.13904372

As somebody who's got Asperger's syndrome, I always excelled at any Philosophy and History courses I ever took, and never had much problem with Mathematics or Programming-related courses, but I always failed Literature courses I took, and kind of had problems with courses that had to do with Sociology, Social Action, Business Leadership, and that kind of shit, because I believe professors aren't really interested in unique ways of doing something or attempting to find some kind of a priori proof for something. Instead, they just want someone who follows their same line of thought to put into action whatever they ask them to do.
There were a few other guys like me who almost certainly had high-functioning autism who had the same kind of problems as me in the same sort of areas as me, so I assume it's probably a general autism-related problem.

>> No.13904472

>>13904372
>As somebody who's got Asperger's syndrome
Stopped reading there
Also, it better be diagnosed