[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 640x608, 4910BCFA-9639-4BD1-AB1F-44A182B83D3E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13859751 No.13859751 [Reply] [Original]

'What is the taste of bread? That of the first piece I eat when I am hungry or the one I eat after, when I am full? What is the smell of roast? The good, dear aroma that overpowers all other smells and wafts about me as I search in vain for food, or that of the piece left over on my table? And the eye, what does the eye see? I truly believe that everyone can experience the dubious sight of one’s eye and be uncertain as to the faces of those closest to him. Look at the face of a friend you trust and you find a noble visage. You locate the nobility either in the nose or the forehead or “a certain something of the eyes”; look at him when he has betrayed you and you see a vile mouth, a sinister glance, “an expression that’s just not right.” (And if one looks at a woman before and after one has had one’s way with her, the contradiction strikes even more stridently). What is the experience of reality? If I am hungry, reality is nothing more to me than an ensemble of more or less edible things. If I am thirsty, reality is more or less liquid, and more or less potable. If I am sleepy, it is a great bed more or less hard. If I am not hungry, not thirsty, not sleepy, and do not need any other determinate thing, the world is a large ensemble of grays that are I don’t know what but that certainly are not made to cheer me up.'

P & R, C. Michelstaedler

>> No.13860483

>>13859751
yo this shit slaps

>> No.13861002

*CTRL-C*

Yep, this one's going in my quotes collection.

>> No.13861099

I've been searching for fulfillment and I think there is nothing more fulfilling than scratching itches. When I fast or abstain from masturbation, all i do for days is think about eating or cumming. Eventually I do and the act itself isn't fulfilling at all but the itch goes away. I have only a surface level understanding of the Buddhist dukkha. I understand that I am stuck in the cycle according to them. My thought is that breaking the cycle makes life meaningless. I may as well kill myself.

Is that what the Buddhists are implying? Kill yourself and end the cycle?

>> No.13861115

Should I get the edition including the critical appendices? I'll be reading it in french btw

>> No.13861327
File: 21 KB, 400x267, gollum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13859751
GIVES US THE BREAD