[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 161 KB, 498x400, 1563391842291.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13755474 No.13755474 [Reply] [Original]

>Have to write a short personal portrait about my personality and identity for my creative non-fiction class
>Literally dont know what to write because I am a nobody that just likes reading stories and living a quiet boring life
What do? I dont know what to write. I hate writing about myself because I have to come to face with myself which I would much rather ignore.

>> No.13755549

>>13755474
Write about why you started being interested in literature. Be a little vulnerable. Was there pain, loneliness? What is the first connection you made with a character or idea when you started reading in earnest? Use your love of literature as your jumping off point here and weave in your own quiet, everyday life. Truthful uniqueness is much more relatable and interesting than writing what you think others want to hear. Take advantage of this opportunity to interrogate yourself about why you're in literature but to be okay with being a "nobody" too. "I'm Nobody! Who are you?"

>> No.13755629

>>13755474
I took a creative nonfiction class once and hated my exhibitionistic classmates, all assignments, everything. In retrospect, it's clear I was really hostile to my own expression and was unconsciously sabotaging the situation. I ended up writing utter throwaway bullshit the whole time. A waste. Rise to the occasion to know thyself, anon. No one else will do it for you.