[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 144 KB, 700x394, lost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13734103 No.13734103[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Think of someone you know personally in your life.

Now take away their job, how they earn money, just pretend like they didn't have a job anymore. Who are they? What's really left? I don't mean are they funny, are they good at advice, are they good looking. I mean what else is there in their life that they have to do with themselves? What else is there for them to spend their time on? I think the answer for most people would be "nothing that important". Bit of tv, maybe reading, gardening, some mediocre landscape painting. So what's my point? Well, now think of the person who has never worked and never wanted to. Not the chavvy benefits leeches, I mean NEETs and recluse's and such. People who want nothing to do with society. And imagine they had no great talent in anything either, they weren't particularly any good at anything artistic or involving creativity. They weren't exceptional at math or engineering, they had no great commentaries they wanted people to read. They're just this person who exists and doesn't really want to do anything but keep existing.

Now realise that 99.99999999999% of humanity is comprised of these two groups. The average people who require social interaction so much they NEED to work and the average people who reject social interaction they CAN'T work. Then sitting atop them all is a tiny amount of extremely talented actors, singers, politicians, engineers, lawyers, bankers, military generals etc. So the NEETs torture themselves because they think "I'm different, I'll reach those heights with the power of my mind, somehow I'll do something meaningful with my life" and the workers think "I'm different, I'll reach those heights through hard work, someone will notice my efforts" and the people at the top think the same fucking shit and they're sat there in their $30,000,000 mansion on their designer sofa with all the money in the world and they become incredibly depressed. Because they realise there's no escape in life, you're born, you suffer, you die. Famous people kill themselves all the fucking time, and the ones that don't are usually doped up to their eyeballs on the hardest shit around.

Stop looking for answers when life provides precisely none. There is no deeper meaning, there is no deeper experience, there is nothing waiting out there for you. Whether you kill yourself now or wait to die in 60 years doesn't change a thing, you won't feel different about it at all. There is nothing. NOTHING. It just IS. There's no why, there's no for who, there's no "oh but what about". Nobody on this earth isn't afraid.

>> No.13734157
File: 164 KB, 640x948, B4CFFC98-7E20-4D99-8804-249D62C628FE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.13734189

>>13734103
I actually used to think this way, then I got a gf and had sex

>> No.13734218

>>13734189
And now what do you think?

>> No.13734251

>>13734218
That in love for the Other I found the One

>> No.13734258

>>13734251
Based

>> No.13734272

>>13734251
>>13734258
That doesn't mean anything idiots. It's just vaguely profound sounding cringy nonsense.

>> No.13734312

Am I losing my time?

>> No.13734314

>>13734272
>REEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.13734328

>>13734103
>"I'm different, I'll reach those heights with the power of my mind, somehow I'll do something meaningful with my life"
No i just think that there is nothing meaningful to reach in life.

>> No.13734371

>>13734103
Deeper meaning is found in loving relationships with others. Nowhere in your conversation about meaning is love present, so of course your conclusion is "everything is meaningless," because you're looking in the wrong places.

>> No.13734373

>>13734328
We are apes. What is meaningful for (most) of us to reach in life are ape stuff such as a close-knit social group, a strong extended family, and kids.

>> No.13734407

>>13734371
>Love
Is for the purposes of procreation and wears off after a year. The romantics were evil little cunts too caught up in their own self importance to comprehend the damage they would do to future generations.

>> No.13734441

>>13734371
What is love?
The need to pair bond in order to reproduce and take care of your progeny?
Or do you mean it in a generic helping out/ being kind to other people?

>> No.13734451

>>13734373
But what is the point of doing so if in the end you will die and your "genetic legacy" will be washed away after a couple of generations.

>> No.13734471

>>13734272
In caring for and sacrificing on behalf of the Other, one loses themselves and (especially if there is reciprocation, if the Other loses themselves "into you" in a similar way) gains a unity with the Other. At least, in the old-fashioned world.

>> No.13734495

>>13734471
>In caring for and sacrificing on behalf of the Other
You are just being useful to the selfish interest either biological or narcissistic of someone else.
I guess some people really do enjoy being slaves to others.

>> No.13734524

Who supports the NEETs? Those are the people with problems.

>> No.13734539

>>13734524
In my case it's my parents.
Though i didn't ask to be born, they forced me into existance so i think it is fair for them to be punished for this sin.

>> No.13734553

>>13734103
We find the abstract and vicious hunt for venereal pleasure as a drug and luminal soothing agent for the lack of meaning in a finite existence. We also find that being is subjected to the law of duality and of becoming; or rather it generates that law, and desire or thirst becomes the root of its existence in time.
>13734407
>Is for the purposes of procreation
Yeah, if you want to follow the depressing belief led by Schopenhauer. I’d rather belief love (eros) is the combining of two primordial forces as ancient as the universe itself, of yin and yang, the diving masculine and feminine. Eros itself is the search for completeness in a world without meaning and can only be achieved by the properly initiated.

>> No.13734574

>I’m selfish and depressed
>WHY GOD
>I also don’t believe in you

>> No.13734579

>>13734539
Kek(i hope you're joking though)

>> No.13734580

>>13734553
>I’d rather belief love (eros) is the combining of two primordial forces as ancient as the universe itself, of yin and yang, the diving masculine and feminine. Eros itself is the search for completeness in a world without meaning and can only be achieved by the properly initiated.
Don't people have an internal feeling of cringe when they think this kind of trash?

>> No.13734583

>>13734574
Believing god to be an all benevolent and non-cruel creator is folly.

>> No.13734588

>>13734580
The first law that governs the process of existence at the deepest level is the one governing the desire for a complement. The reintegration of yin and yang, of pure male and pure female.

>> No.13734600

I think that life is too sad. The world is too sad. My only solace is that one day I'll be dead and I won't know how sad it is anymore. All of the things I know but wish I didn't, all of my sad memories will be gone; my happy memories will be gone as well, though, which makes even this solace sad.

>> No.13734601

>>13734579
No, i am completely serious anon.

>> No.13734721

OP is ignorant of what could be his purpose, if he chooses to adopt it somewhere down the line. The problem with most people is that they substitute their purpose with the notion of 'success' or 'achievement', and believe that if they can obtain those things, then they will be fulfilled. But most people who obtain those things find themselves still lacking. OP has idolized success into the sole criterion for happiness and purpose, neglecting personal responsibility and selflessness. I argue that one's responsibility is their purpose, and that responsibility is found by recognizing suffering and problems and seeking to remedy them.

The celebrities and successful people that OP posits are suffering because their selfish hedonism prevents them from the personal fulfillment of repairing themselves and others. That is why people who are completely self centered get depressed. That is why celebrities get depressed and kill themselves; because their personal happiness can't be achieved through their own self gratification, and so instead of seeking to care for others as >>13734251 and >>13734371 say is necessary for happiness, the celebrities kill themselves because selfless work is simply not an option.

Consider that rich people tend to start charities and to work with non-profits. It's an attempt to live with an iota of selflessness and virtue, and while one can argue that it's not necessarily selfless or virtuous to play 'feed the starving orphan' once a month, it at least provides a sense of completeness. I don't understand the specifics of it, but it's necessary to make virtuous work in order to feel complete and whole. That is why Christianity and other self-mortifying religions provide peace to yuppies and hope to the poor, because it fulfills their interior desire to do good and to live selflessly.

And so OP's focus is on whether some purpose exists, and he believes that a purpose must be foisted upon a person by outside means. That somehow, life must shove a purpose in that person's mind. But forget purpose. You have a desire to do something good and selfless with your life. Feel free to pretend you don't, and that you're just a clump of cells and hormones and that you're merely an ape, but you choose to be unhappy (and eventually suicidal) by living selfishly and by ignoring the fact that the world is not perfect but you have the capacity to make it better. By choosing to improve the world through your efforts, you will fulfill your desire to exercise virtue.

I'm not saying to up and join Greenpeace. I'm saying that people with families are happier in different ways because they're living for others. Social animals, if you want to reduce it to that. I'm saying that you and your job and your life can be spent on something 'greater' than your time spent shitposting and masturbating.

>> No.13734728

>>13734721
(contd) It occurred to me recently that one reason that liberals in the States tend to be happier is that they're at least trying to do some good (or at least going through the motions to be seen as good). If conservative types decided to enter the arts and to make beautiful things, and to share edifying content with each other beyond the 'get rich' meme that conservative normies have collectively fallen for, then you'd see much happier normies, and maybe you'd want to be happy with them too. In a way, Christianity fulfills that need for conservative normies, despite how their 10%/week goes to pedo organizations. It's also how the Catholic/Orthodox fad here got kicked into high gear, because even you fucks want to be complete and fulfilled.

In short, commit to doing something good with your life and watch how your whiny pussy-ass depression disappears, you dumb shits.

>> No.13734743

>>13734721
>and that responsibility is found by recognizing suffering and problems and seeking to remedy them
Oh cry me a fucking river with the samaritan bullshit, you think pretending to be noble and selfless is the same as being noble and selfless? Congratulations you just played yourself.

>> No.13734746

>>13734743
Read the whole post.

>> No.13734759

>>13734743
did you just get mad because somebody suggested that you live virtuously?

>> No.13734776

>t. camus

>> No.13734827

>>13734746
I did, it's worthless trash.

>>13734759
Telling someone to live virtuously is pointless, you're either that kind of person or you're not. When non virtuous people do virtuous things they don't get any satisfaction from it so it's not the answer to life.

>> No.13734859

>>13734776
No, Camus was a cowardly child who ended his thoughts with "B-But just pretend you enjoy the meaninglessness of the task and invent your own meaning h-haha"

>> No.13734910

LMAO
I bet you thought you were being truthful and profound with this, I hope you're joking
Get this cringe fag trash off the board, follow your message and kys afterwards

>> No.13734927

>>13734910
Keep crying, you know he's right and that's the only reason you're mad

>> No.13734947
File: 63 KB, 720x706, apubrainlet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13734910
>cringe! you don't believe in some made up bullshit like I do! cringe!!!!!

>> No.13734952

>>13734157
fpbp

>> No.13734984

>>13734103
FACKING JANNIES DO YOUR GODDAMN FUCKING JOB FOR ONE FUCKING TIME AHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.13734998

>>13734728
>commit to doing something good with your life
how

>> No.13735021

I used to try giving money away whenever I saw someone panhandling. I'd try to give people $20 or so, which is significant for me as I don't have much money. It didn't make me feel any better.

>> No.13735148

>>13735021
I think that anon preaching altruism would say that random acts of charity aren't enough and you need to dedicate yourself to an altruistic purpose or lifestyle

>> No.13735153

>>13735148
There's nothing I want to do.

>> No.13735169
File: 214 KB, 1200x1200, uncle ted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13734103
In modern industrial society only minimal effort is necessary to satisfy one’s physical needs. It is enough to go through a training program to acquire some petty technical skill, then come to work on time and exert the very modest effort needed to hold a job. The only requirements are a moderate amount of intelligence and, most of all, simple OBEDIENCE. If one has those, society takes care of one from cradle to grave. (Yes, there is an underclass that cannot take the physical necessities for granted, but we are speaking here of mainstream society.) Thus it is not surprising that modern society is full of surrogate activities. These include scientific work, athletic achievement, humanitarian work, artistic and literary creation, climbing the corporate ladder, acquisition of money and material goods far beyond the point at which they cease to give any additional physical satisfaction, and social activism when it addresses issues that are not important for the activist personally, as in the case of white activists who work for the rights of nonwhite minorities. These are not always PURE surrogate activities, since for many people they may be motivated in part by needs other than the need to have some goal to pursue. Scientific work may be motivated in part by a drive for prestige, artistic creation by a need to express feelings, militant social activism by hostility. But for most people who pursue them, these activities are in large part surrogate activities. For example, the majority of scientists will probably agree that the “fulfillment” they get from their work is more important than the money and prestige they earn.

>> No.13735269

>>13734998
Find a need and fill that need
wow r u dum

>> No.13735289

>>13734827
>'you're either that kind of person or you're not'
>implying that people can't change over time
>implying that people can't experiment with different worldviews and discover better ones over time
>implying that one is born a certain way and there's no possible way go change
>implying that a person is either completely non-virtuous versus completely virtuous and that there's no possible way to exercise a different angle of virtue and so be fulfilled through it
What kind of cretin are you? Are you 17? Live life a little more and learn things before trying to argue about life. Maybe the lesson from 'have sex' posters isn't so much that a person should have sex, it's that they should actually experience more of something before forming judgements on the subject. If you do happen to be completely, rigidly non-virtuous and incapable of gaining satisfaction from exercising any kind of virtue at all, then I feel bad for you. It means you're not only a psychopath, but a retard incapable of learning.

>> No.13735298

>>13735153
t. 1st year uni student from the suburbs

>> No.13735310
File: 24 KB, 258x360, 1502347838410.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13734103
>Some edgy fag took the time to write this cringy wall of text
I hope you're underage.

>> No.13735327

>>13734103
What's your point?
>Whether you kill yourself now or wait to die in 60 years doesn't change a thing
Is this it?

>> No.13735344

>>13735327
Some additional questions. What is it about life that you dislike? Do you find it complex? Are you overwhelmed? Are you unable to see beauty? Acknowledging the transient nature of life is no reason to live sadly.

>> No.13735397

>>13734103
Anon you are casting pearls before swine. This reality is too much for the average person to accept. Like staring into the sun with no buffer, it is a light that blinds.

>> No.13735423

>>13735327
>What's your point?
That there is no point and no answer so stop bothering to look for one.

>> No.13735424

>>13734927

>>13734947
Yup, thank you for confirming my assessment. Like a literal retard buttmad that nobody wants to engage him on his trash and instead just tells him to scurry away. Can't tell if the board is being raided by 15 year olds or the collective iq of the board is dropping that quickly. Pathetic post bud, please kys again

>> No.13735434

>>13734927
>You know he's right
I hope you're samefagging

>> No.13735636

>>13735289
>they should actually experience more of something before forming judgements on the subject
You will never get through to these people. They are naive and lacking experience yet believe themselves to be experts. They stay inside their home yet they believe they know exactly how the world works. They are inflexible and expect the world to bend to their unreasonable demands. They either have to realize that the way they live their life is stupid, or they'll stay holed up in a room and die without ever experiencing life.

>> No.13735637

>>13734579
What the fuck are you talking about?

>> No.13735696

>>13735298
How did you know?

>> No.13735829
File: 86 KB, 1280x710, 1551599563323.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13734103

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO

>> No.13736119

>>13734103
>Stop looking for answers when life provides precisely none. There is no deeper meaning, there is no deeper experience, there is nothing waiting out there for you. Whether you kill yourself now or wait to die in 60 years doesn't change a thing, you won't feel different about it at all. There is nothing. NOTHING. It just IS. There's no why, there's no for who, there's no "oh but what about". Nobody on this earth isn't afraid.
This is completely true. HOWEVER, I won't kill myself because I want to see where humanity will be in 50 years. It's very interesting.

>> No.13736196

>the only counterargument people in this thread have is "DUDE LOVE"
i would have expected something better from the "supposed" most well read board

>> No.13736416

>>13734103
The truth is life is actually really boring, humanist and other scourge fetishized life and will tell you to not take life seriously, suicide is literally the way to say that life is not serious because you have stopped caring about life, you don't anything more from it that's exactly what not taking yourself and life seriously.

>> No.13736431

>>13734103
just go for a walk and fuck a girl in her wet pussy, works for me