[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 655x527, 02f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13671057 No.13671057 [Reply] [Original]

Who else here intellectual yet low-IQ?
I really like keeping an open mind, philosophically discussing topics that most people ignore and don't question, reading the classic philosophers, and generally being interested in a lot of intellectual subjects like physics, music, quantum mechanics. None of the people I know are as curious as I am about these subjects and tell me not to worry as much about these things that are not relevant to my day-to-day life. In my book that makes me more intellectual than them. Nevertheless, I can't but notice that my IQ is lower than a lot of these less intellectual people, they interpret and catch on to things much quicker, even though they have no inherent interest in these subjects. It makes me feel like a fraud and frustrates me because I feel like the people that are much more apt than I am at intellectual topics should be more interested in them.

>> No.13671102

>>13671057
Have you been tested? Sounds like you’re making an assumption about yourself without a lot to back it up. What’s mentioned in the post could very well just be a personality trait.

>> No.13671103

>>13671102
My tested IQ is 90

>> No.13671104

>>13671057
very relevant frog, I commend your frog choice

>> No.13671110

>>13671057
I'm anti-intellectual with 150 IQ, no diploma, no nothing.

>> No.13671113

Being less perceptive just means you try even harder when you're motivated to learn something. Sounds like it's a strength my genius brainlet anon

>> No.13671161

>>13671110
Hello brother.

>> No.13671163

>>13671103
IQ is largely speed at which you process things, you can still be great youll just have to work longer.
I believe in you anon

>> No.13672307

>>13671057
This is undoubtedly the most based post on this board for years

>> No.13672315

>tfw 82 IQ

I can't understand 1 page of Plato.

>> No.13672320

>>13671057
I'm exactly the same OP, nice to know there are others in the same boat

>> No.13672321

>tfw 70 IQ
I couldn't even type this post. I had to get my mom to do it for me

>> No.13672347

>>13671057
I think it's key to remember that people will still respect you for approaching things with an open and inquisitive mind, even if you aren't the most intelligent person they know.

Joe Rogan's a good example of this, the guy clearly isn't particularly high IQ, but a lot of people respect him for the enthusiasm and effort he puts in to attempting to understand topics even if they're a struggle for him.

Having a low IQ is not a character flaw and no one of substance is going to hold it against you. If you can master this distinction and get it clear in your head you can go much further in your understanding of the world than the high IQ people you meet with no natural inquisitiveness.

>> No.13672360

>>13671163
A lot of people, including some very smart people, thinks so. But my experience says this isn’t true. For example, some people have a superior memory retention. How does that fit on the faster-slower spectrum? What about working memory?

I understand that it’s a comfortable interpretation of intelligence (the technical term on here is ‘cope’), but processing speed is a component of IQ, not IQ itself. I honestly feel bad even telling you this, as it’s a bit of an information hazard (since it’s clearly going to make some people reading my post feel worse about themselves/lose a coping mechanism), but I also want to make the slow geniuses out there trust themselves a bit more.

Take care out there buds

>> No.13672375

>>13671057
Are you genuinely interested in those topics or do you like them because they make you seem smart? If you like them because you think that studying them will make you smarter, then you are interested in them for the wrong reasons. You're just constantly trying to test your intelligence and prove the IQ number wrong, which only feeds your insecurity when you fail and compare yourself to other people who are smarter, and so you make a post like this.

>because I feel like the people that are much more apt than I am at intellectual topics should be more interested in them.
Why should they? It's not as if being smart automatically means you want to know more about the world. Being smart isn't the most important thing in life. A lot of smart people realize this and either devote themselves to something they like doing and do it well, or they enjoy simpler things that give them pleasure.

>> No.13672381

>>13672360
*think
*[-a]superior

Wouldn’t want people dismissing the post because of phone mishaps. I know I might.

Anyways OP, this is a good post, it really doesn’t matter if you’re not high IQ. You’re clearly more articulate and intellectually curious than the majority of people. You even have good pacing when you write. Keep it up and just be.

>> No.13672391

>>13672375
>Being smart isn't the most important thing in life.
yes it is, unironically.

>> No.13672437

>>13672391
If you're OP, then that's where you're wrong. For as many ways as it appears to make life easier to someone who doesn't have it, there are equally as many struggles that come with it. The highest IQ people I know have done really well in life, but always prefer simpler activities, anti-intellectual discussion, and being with friends. They also value morality a great deal and acting virtuously in their day-to-day lives. They can do that without being extremely intelligent. That's why being virtuous is the most important thing, not just being smart.

>> No.13672712

>>13671057
>>13671102
>>13671110
>>13671113
>>13671163
>>13672347
>>13672360
Calling it IQ is generally a misnomer. What should he named is behavioral tendencies/fitness. The word intelligence presupposes an autonomous function of interpretation. Instead, your genetics determine how input stimuli is perceived, related, and acted upon. This explains cultural variance.

>> No.13673103
File: 206 KB, 657x527, 0c9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13671103
Bullshit

>> No.13673995

Being educated and being smart are two different things, sometimes totally opposite to each other. I know brainlets that behave like autists yet quote Shakespeare and Byron.

My personal belief is that you only develop your intelligence when you switch from input to output and start thinking about your own ideas. They might be banal or centuries-old, but these ideas will still be yours and they are worth more than anything you read in a book