[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 400x400, 1289621872649.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1366890 No.1366890 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /lit/

So I'm currently writing a post apocalyptic story centered in the US.

I've got most of what I'd like to do narrowed down, but I'm torn on whether or not to include something in the story for fear of it being cliche and overdone.

Long story short, a massive food corporation (play on Monsanto, still thinking one up) puts out a large batch of food contaminated with a virus. Millions of people die, shit hits the fan, the country turns into a mess of rivaling factions. The main character and his group travel from the west coast to the east coast, and their journey is highly reminiscent of Dante's Inferno, the fucked up elements of society filling the part for each "sin."

Now, here's the thing. What I have not decided is whether or not I want the virus to just kill people, or to both kill, and turn a good portion of the population into 28 Days later esque zombies. (Essentially rabid humans, easy to kill but fast and smart.)

Basically at this point I'm worried about it getting thrown in with every other zombie fiction and drowned by Romero born cliches.

So, rabid zombies or no rabid zombies?

>> No.1366899

The main character finds out that he's the zombie at the end.

>> No.1366921

the real zombies are the people who read ur book

>> No.1366935

>I'm worried about it getting thrown in with every other zombie fiction and drowned by Romero born cliches.
Too late bro.

>> No.1366941

>>1366935
I figured. Maybe I can save the rabids for something else.

Fucking Romero man...

>> No.1366968

>>1366941
Instead of making them rabid/mindless, the virus gives them an irresistable craving for human flesh while letting them retain their humanity. However, the more they indulge in cannibalism, the more they lose their humanity as the virus eats away at their minds. Look up the Wendigo for more ideas.