[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 100 KB, 750x400, constantia-waldorf-fair-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13589535 No.13589535 [Reply] [Original]

or any other Alternative schools? What did you learn there, and was it better than regular education?

>> No.13589638

>>13589535
>Waldorf Schule
Every teacher and student I have ever known jokes about it. The teachers say pity everyone who worked there or went there to school. Their whole cirriculum is a damn joke. They teach all the topics of each subject in a unit(so they would for example only have 2 weeks of physics classes, then all only math for a week or two and so on) .

>> No.13589938

my sister went to one for kindergarten, luckily she was taken out and put in public school after a year, and learned useful shit instead of making cornbread all day. she was still behind in reading and writing for a few years.

>> No.13589958

niece went there. acquired no social skills, not to mention no actually useful education

>> No.13589975

>>13589958
>acquired no social skills
Kek. I thought with the time not spent on educating them, they would at least aquire some social skills. But I guess it's not even useful for that.

>> No.13590103

>>13589958
a standard education then

>> No.13590111 [DELETED] 

I'm sure my foot fetishist 9 year-old self would have loved it desu

>> No.13590117

>>13589535

montessori kindergarden best school i ever went to and i did ivy undergrad

>> No.13590135

>>13590117
*kindergarten

>> No.13590233

>>13590117
Montessori a best. Went to a normal school afterward and whatever they did to people there they did not enjoy learning new things.

>> No.13590325

>>13590233
thats why traditional schools are better. they might force you to learn it, but they don't force you to enjoy it

>> No.13590335

>>13590325
None of them learnt most of the shit.i was considered gifted for knowing what class we were in.

>> No.13590344

>>13590325
And teachers really did not like learning new things either. Scientific definitions changed which teachers refused to acknowledge because they liked repeating what they heard twenty years ago.

>> No.13590362

>>13590335
that's a good thing as well. the fact is schools exist to get the children out of the parents hair. the english public school tradition is not to teach but keep the children quiet, unless it's a jesuit school or something. children are all right on their own (in a roundabout way).

>> No.13590587

What about unschooling?

https://torontolife.com/city/life/unschooling-memoir/
>I pulled my kids out of school and let them make up their own curriculum

>> No.13590934 [DELETED] 

>>13589958
At least we can dance the alphabet, right?

>> No.13591141

From what I've seen, Waldorf schools vary widely between hardcore, explicitly Steinerian schools to "Waldorf-inspired" schools that have diluted the Steinerian program down to something pretty indistinguishable from any other choose-your-own-curriculum private school.

Whether you're interested in the specific Anthroposophical things or you mean "Waldorf education" in the vague sense, your best bet will be to research any individual schools that interest you and see what they actually mean by Waldorf. I bet even the more dogmatic schools these days are unlikely to abide by the original rules about not reading until you're a certain age, or the prescriptions for "eurythmy" (the dancing thing).

>> No.13591148

>>13589535
I went to a small liberal boarding school in Massachusetts. We read War & Peace in 11th grade but besides that it was your typical shit, nothing special. I got expelled for smoking weed and not doing homework.

>> No.13591159
File: 100 KB, 270x464, eurythmy_cynthia_hoven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13589638
>>13589535

Kind of. In my school we had four week units of a specific topic that we started our day with (one two hour block from 9-11am), the rest of the day the class would split off into their respective subjects. The subjects covered in these units ranged everything, so you'd have a fairly good knowledge base in econ, chem, lit, foreign languages, etc. Also 1/3 of the grade for these units is dependant on making a notebook, which allows you to do all sorts of creative stuff, like drawing, to up your mark. Granted it does turn you into a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none, and when you get something you're really not into it can be super tedious.

Furthermore, you get some real inane shit like eurythmy, and a lot of weird stuff, like a four-week Parsival course that's all about self discovery, but all in all its not too bad. Especially if you're not that academically gifted, you can still excell in the many woodwork, theatre, painting, sculpting, etc, classes; plus there is a lot of upwards mobility for late bloomers. They're also great at weeding out the rotten kids, so the atmosphere is generally peaceful (also very white and unabashedly Christian).

I read somewhere that the people in Silicon Valley tend to put their kinds in W-education since they emphasize non digital approaches to learning. Which, if those people are concerned about that, it might have some validity.

There's also compulsory choir (at least in my school) which sucks ass at first, but in the last few years really brings you and your classmates together as you bellow out Dvorak twice a week. Getting drunk at hs parties and singing classical tunes by the piano together with complete abandon is unironically one of the funnest things I did in my teens.

t. went to Waldorf School from kindergarten through to highschool.

>> No.13591198

Sister went to one. She's a little naive, but otherwise a well adjusted normal adult, alot more than me and I went to a public school.

As far as I can say her education wasn't as so much focused on science as from a public school, but they did learn all the important basic shit. Also she can paint and sculpture pretty well, so shes somewhat of an amateur artist. Don't know if that has anything to do with the school, but whatever.

>> No.13591800
File: 75 KB, 1280x720, shout!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13589535

Does homeschooling count as "alternative"? I was homeschooled for many years and it was far superior to public school.

One memory from when I was 11 was me finishing at 1pm (you can speed through your coursework when you aren't waiting on the teacher to explain it three times for the class retard) and deciding I wanted to learn about airplanes. So my mom took me down the library, I checked out some books on the subject and spent the rest of the day learning about pitot tubes and ailerons. It really taught me from a young age that I was in charge of my education, and that's the most valuable lesson of all.

>> No.13591841

>>13591141
The dance part is actually done in the one next to the school I graduated from.

>> No.13591857

>>13591159
But the problem (at least here in germany) is that you've got the same exam at the end of high school as all other schools in the country have. Making not failing it extremly hard, since you've haven't done some subjects for a very long time and therefore most likely forgot a lot of it.

>> No.13591867
File: 43 KB, 399x388, 1564710169146.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Went to a private Christian school, super small. Graduating class of ten, about 45 kids in the whole school when I graduated. I absolutely hated it and wish that my parents actually paid for it so I could demand a refund. I was physically assaulted by teachers (didn't know that was crime at the time), emotionally abused (one teacher in particular, convinced me that I was going to hell and it was all said and done when I was still in elementary, made me cry my eyes out, same teacher also forced me to crossdress (cried again, too, later developed gender identity issues in part because of that incident), same teacher also replayed the "eye color" experiment (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Elliott)) on us for shits and giggles too.

Seriously fuck that teacher, just thinking about it I might report her to the school board. Probably not a good idea because there were so few students that they could probably figure out who put in the complaint. (BTW, her dad also ordered my grandfather to commit felony kidnapping). If you are a parent keep your kids the fuck away from religious schoolsm especially, especially, especially Protestant ones, they'll chew your kids and spit then out without the slightest sense of guilt

>> No.13591870 [DELETED] 

>>13590233
I went to a montessori school and learned jack shit, it was just a bunch of “learning” games that kids filtered around the room playing. I actually got bullied by older kids since they just threw us all together, that probably didn’t help me in life. Didn’t learn to read until 1st grade, though I picked it up and was at a “college reading level” in 2nd grade. The montessori program was in the city and my elementary school was in the suburbs and all white, that’s the difference I think.

>> No.13593036

>>13590362
I think you're confusing English public school with English non fee paying schools. English public school is like Eton or Harrow, where they teach ruling the the world and making speeches as a matter of course.

>> No.13593058

>>13591870
Montessori is supposed to be divided by age. It's one of the key principles of the system because kids develop different skills and understandings of the world at different ages. They might have called it Montessori to jack the price up if it was private, because that sounds very unlike Montessori where I was (but they taught me to read in their preschool so I could read at a college level by the time I was in their kindergarten)

>> No.13593071

If I went back in time I would have studied médicine or enroled the army

>> No.13593075

>>13589535
reminder Rudolf Schteiner was a charlatan piece of shit and Waldorf schools are a scam

>>13589958
bet she's great at eurythmy though which is nice so she's got that going for her

>> No.13593084

>>13591867
report it. it was abuse. if they're still teaching, they are still abusing. and it goes without saying Protestantism is a pox founded in misunderstanding gospel and miseducating others.

>> No.13593121

>>13593071
I would’ve killed hitler

>> No.13593125

Forget it until we become legal the Kids stay with us, by the way, any way to embeed empty threads on a webpage?

>> No.13593127

>>13593036
no i meant public school, i’m CLS. the state schools might be different.

>> No.13593146

tridejur uy server is down actually. I learned a Lot from Brave man And women. Mostly philosophy of life

>> No.13593152

I Also studied at University, I enjoyed tridejur.uy much more I learnt languages as well

>> No.13593154

>>13593127
idk m8 old citizens get the police on them for greatly bringing down the city during their prank days. never heard one that thought it was a seen and not heard place, and even then it's an independent school so it's like the difference between charterhouse and charterhouse square.

>> No.13593162

>>13589535
I went to a Montessori school but didn't gel with it at all. Fell behind. Thrived when I transferred to a normal (albeit affluent) public school afterward.
>>13590111
based. speaking of which, I hated being forced to go barefoot at school. felt naked.

>> No.13593226

>>13593154
it's seen and not heard in intent more than execution. it's all the same tradition, that sort of practice is older than the buildings.

>> No.13593256

>>13590111
What cured you?

>> No.13593419

>>13593226
I've never seen it intended is my point. Every public school goes on endlessly about how in uniform (or even out of uniform in some schools) you are a representative of the school and are duty bound to interfere in public matters as befits the school.

>> No.13593443

>>13589535
In the woods there grew a tree
A fine, fine tree was he

On that tree there was a limb
And on that limb there was a branch
On that branch there was a nest
And in that nest there was an egg
In that egg there was a bird
And from that bird a feather came
Of that feather was a bed

On that bed there was a girl
And on that girl there was a man
From that man there was a seed
And from that seed there was a boy
From that boy there was a man
And for that man there was a grave
From that grave there grew a tree

In Sumerisle, Sumerisle, Sumerisle, Sumerisle, Sumerisle

On that tree there was a limb
And on that limb there was a branch
On that branch there was a nest
And in that nest there was an egg
In that egg there was a bird
And from that bird a feather came
Of that feather was a bed

In Sumerisle, Sumerisle, Sumerisle, Sumerisle, Sumerisle

On that bed there was a girl (Sumerisle, Sumerisle)
And on that girl there was a man (Sumerisle, Sumerisle)
From that man there was a seed (Sumerisle, Sumerisle)
And from that seed there was a boy (Sumerisle, Sumerisle)
From that boy there was a man (Sumerisle, Sumerisle)
And for that man there was a grave
From that grave there grew a tree

>> No.13593990

>>13593419
well that isn't what i was getting at. there's a line in waugh's d&f, a schoolmaster says "Oh, I shouldn't try to teach them anything. Just keep them quiet."

>> No.13594121

>>13593990
That's because Waugh worked in a no name school in Wales during the age of corporal punishment and reciting Greek. Not only was that different to his schooling (which he resented because his big bro had scuppered his chances at a better named school after publishing a gay novel about that place) but it's also very different to the schooling he envied once he hit Oxford. The school is about how low Pennyfeather (and Waugh) had to go because they didn't go to the major public schools.

>> No.13594157

>>13593990
>his big bro had scuppered his chances at a better named school after publishing a gay novel about that place
thanks for alerting me to the existence of this book... new homoerotic boarding school novel to read...

>> No.13594187

>>13594121
llanaba is a pretty bad (i.e. typical) school, but that's not what that's about. waugh made fun of public schools in general in that book ("anyone who has ever been to an English public school will always feel comparatively at home in prison"). if you've read goodbye to all that, graves takes the same line on charterhouse.

>> No.13594248

>>13594157
It's pretty tame but it's also pretty obvious why they kicked the rest of the family out.
>>13594187
I think you're trying to conflate the Victorian era with the current one and failing to realise how while Eton was vicious, it was also able to guarantee running water and more than one meal a day which is envied by many other schools. After all, Waterton went to a good Jesuit school and spent his days catching rats because he liked catching rats, but that doesn't come up in your theory of Jesuit schools being "different". As for prisons be comparable to public schools, they also provided more space and meals than lower class homes and education facilities. While the upper classes might have seen them as equal to their schooling until the 30s or so, there are still lower classes who see prison as better than the environment they lived in during their comprehensive education. Nowadays, trying to find the kind of deprivation that made public schools comparable is impossible. FFS CLS has its own pool.

>> No.13594317

>>13594248
i'll rebut that with the following sentence: "It is the people brought up in the gay intimacy of the slums, Paul learned, who find prison so soul destroying."
& i've not done any proper research, i think jesuit schools must be different because if you meet someone educated by the old jesuits, their thinking is totally characterized by that. not that i think that's a very good thing. all schools are bad. formal education is a thing to beared, not embraced.
state schools have pools as well, no?

>> No.13594508

>>13593036
>>13594248
What do they teach at Eton? Which books and lessons, if I wanted to similarly educate myself?

>> No.13594617

>>13589638
Went to university with a girl who went to one of the Waldorfs. We were both enrolled in law. She was shorthaired, with often changing haircolours, crooked teeth, but overall quite nice. I pegged her as some new age girl, maybe wiccan. She became part of our friend circle and tabletop RPG group. She did not seem off to me. Just another weirdo. At least nothing I could pin on her school form. She did not follow through on law though and went off to do something else. Maybe studied a language.

She always got very cross when you made fun of the schools. You really hear it from everyone. But it is not like conventional school systems are always hitting the spot, either.

>> No.13594817

>>13591867
>crossdresser thinks he's not going to hell

>> No.13595157

sort of.
pre-school/daycare was for children of students at my mom's University. the staff were all studying or teaching child education but also there were just some answered-an-ad-in-the-paper type of staff. the Uni provided the space--a whole floor they weren't using in a campus building--and the parents all chipped in for supplies, materials, snacks, etc. I was 3 and 4 yo, had a blast but don't remember much.
Kindergarten was on the outskirts of town on an old farm. the school building was new but the barn and a field and animals all remained. it was mostly a normal kindergarten I guess but we did stuff with the animals sometimes. this was a private school, not part of the district's K-12 schools. but afterwards, I went to the regular public district's schools. what I remember most about kindergarten was there were a couple slutty girls who would take boys to the hidden parts of the playground and spread their pussies for us. it ruled.

My high-school was a public magnet school, which means it attracts all the smartest kids and best teachers in the district to one school. every class was honors-level and accelerated since the kids were all able to learn at a good pace. I was smart but not very academic, so even though my GPA was average I was at the bottom of my class. our graduating class was just over 100 students, but our freshman class was more than double that since students would drop out due to the difficulty, and all the top students all had above 4.0 GPAs due to the extra points awarded to AP classes (college credit while still in high school.)

>> No.13595294

>>13594817
Buddy, we're already in hell

>> No.13595405

>>13590587
I dropped out of HS my junior year to get whatever I could out of unschooling. it was the best decision I could have made - although I didn't do much at first, I eventually got tired of sitting around the house doing jack shit and began reading more and more - over time taking up apprentice/internships with local farmers, nonprofits, etc. I can't say I've fully freed myself from a schooled "imposter" mindset in academic company, but I have been able to build a foundation of learning that I'm fairly confident in, and I try to remind myself that's what counts. That being said, my renewed joy in study doesn't have much of a practical outlet without the scholarly community and the jobs they funnel into - so in the end it seems like either you get lucky and are rich/discover a passion for a "non-academic" craft, or you get sucked in regardless if you want to lead a life that feels meaningful. One silver lining is that the experience of "oppression" it has given me as a white male - while itself not awful, obviously - has cemented intersectionality and the cage of government certification as frameworks in my mind. I would recommend this to everyone - these schools literally emerged to program industrial persons, and they are not getting better, only more insidious.

>> No.13595631

>>13591867
I heard to similar shit from other people who went ot schools like this.

It doesn't even sound like triggered Christians but abuse as a form of getting off or something.

>> No.13595685

>>13589535
My brother went. Started smoking there in Grade 4, and failed two years of high school after he came back to public. It missed teaching him any math, but he made lots of art.

>> No.13595836

>>13593121
How droll

>> No.13596601

>>13594317
>I'll rebut with a fictional sentence from Waugh about poor people
I'm not sure you're trying any more because Waugh is one of the biggest snobs in the world. Wilde who actually went to prison in reality around the period of the novel's setting got told by fellow prisoners that it was obviously much harder on his sort and how comaraderie or kindness were easier to come by there.
>think jesuit schools must be different because if you meet someone educated by the old jesuits, their thinking is totally characterized by that.
I think you have your idea of how children are taught in the two systems backwards. Jesuits aim to stamp out the child to make them moral men. The purported liberalism of the Jesuits only exists once you've become one of their order.
Lots of what you're saying would make far more sense coming from an American educated person who had read Decline and Fall as the total of their exposure to English education.
>state schools have pools as well, no?
No, that's why the government has been trying for years to get private schools to share theirs. This really sounds like you don't know the UK system at all, and that might be your only argument for formal education failing anyone.
>>13594508
Current or past curricula should be a Google search away. You'd be better off doing the King Williams quiz though.

>> No.13596688

>>13596601
are you american? waugh was trying to be funny, not literal. there is a point there, though. how public schoolboys, caught off guard, will call their mum 'please matron' and address any male relative as 'sir' like a master. r.g. said 'in england, parents of the governing classes virtually lose all intimate touch with their children from about the age of eight.' & wilde went to prison well before the novel was set (not that that's relevant).
>Jesuits aim to stamp out the child to make them moral men
that's just what i said, n'est-ce pas?
& i know for a fact some state schools have their own swimming pools.

>> No.13596801

>>13596688
>went to prison before the novel was set
So in 25 years the prison system changed so much that public schools only look like prisons from 1910 on? Or is the shift in public schools around 1925 when Waugh would have been teaching rather than being educated? And that is so similar to today (a hundred years later) that public schools could be mistaken for an Edwardian prison or a public school under George? >>13596688
>be funny, not literal. there is a point there, though. how public schoolboys, caught off guard, will call their mum 'please matron'
That is not the point he's making nor does it relate to the point you made about the drunk gay teacher who recommends not teaching them and just thrashing them to silence. You haven't even read Waugh well, let alone proven you know the difference between public/independents/comps over the course of this conversation.
>>13596688
>>Jesuits aim to stamp out the child to make them moral men
>that's just what i said, n'est-ce pas?
Non, ce n'etait pas.
>>13590344
>public school tradition is not to teach but keep the children quiet, unless it's a jesuit school or something.
That is still wrong, as is your insertion of your fanfiction into Waugh's perfect novel.
>>13596688
>i know for a fact some state schools have their own swimming pools
I know for a fact you have never met a comprehensive student in your life because they're called public schools where you live and have pools and metal detectors and think football involves helmets. No Uing me won't help, this isn't the remove of class speaking ignorantly about comps, this is all adding up to someone who is trying to lie their way into basic daily life knowledge of a country they have not resided in for any length of time. It's bordering on not knowing what le bac is when claiming to be from a French lycee.

>> No.13596820

>>13596801
Quoted wrong post >>13590362 for your theory that Jesuit schools are not to keep the children quiet, unlike public schools (which raise most of the political class and Bullingdon Club)

>> No.13596906

>>13596601
How will taking a quiz help?
Also I did find the curricula vaguely outlined on their website, but not even topics within an area, much less a booklist.

>> No.13596980

>>13596906
It's a quiz published in the Guardian every year. It used be compulsory for all students in King Williams College (11-18 year olds). It's known as the world's hardest quiz, and googling the answers often brings you to the wrong conclusion. Students would be marked and then given the chance to resit after researching the questions and guessing the themes of the sets of questions.
The motto of the quiz is
>Scire ubi aliquid invenire possis ea demum maxima pars eruditionis est
You should apply that to your Google search terms.

>> No.13597115
File: 574 KB, 2448x3264, IMG_3988.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13596801
he wasn't saying they LOOKED like prisons, old stick. and like i said it's not relevant, BUT i bet prisons did change lots between the victorian era & the twenties, don't you, old bean?
>That is not the point
course it is.
oh right. well, i don't know how you know so much about it, no one talked about it except re ucas. and i think they've been similar since the beginning & will be til the bitter end unless all the staff are dismissed, buildings demolished and everything rebuilt elsewhere under a different name.
>Non, ce n'etait pas.
comment ca?
>your insertion of your fanfiction into Waugh's perfect novel
unthinkable.
>they're called public schools where you live and have pools and metal detectors and think football involves helmets
not sure what to say to that, old horse. i know a school in hartlepool where they've got a pool. so does london oratory.

>>13596906
seems to me the more important lessons of those schools are enacted, not taught.

>> No.13597188

>>13597115
Did you miss the fact the Waugh states it hasn't changed apart from the recently arrived botonist reformer? Yes, you did.
>Wodehousian terms of affection will make me seem more in touch with the UK
>>13597115
>course it is.
>oh right. well, i don't know how you know so much about it, no one talked about it except re ucas
Nobody brought up UCAS. You seem to be unable to remember your point even when there is a quote chain you can follow and seem unable to remember my point when you are quoting it.
>think they've been similar since the beginning & will be til the bitter end unless all the staff are dismissed, buildings demolished and everything rebuilt elsewhere under a different name.
Because you are living in a Fantasyland where they still give Latin across the board. They have greatly changed over the years, not least because they'd be sued for more than their substantial bequests if they hadn't.
>unthinkable
Yet you thought it up.
>know a school in hartlepool where they've got a pool.
Was it built as a tech modern?
>London Oratory
Built as a VA school.
You need a comp that was built as a comp and not one that was a grammar til the 70s. Or to explain why the majority of children can't swim 25m even though they supposedly have pools.

>> No.13597264

>>13589535
I went to a tiny public school (less than 20 students in the whole school, less than 5 in my cohort). The teaching program was close to normal or what I assume was normal, in that we had the traditional maths, science, english, languages etc. Academically, I was pretty good.

That being said, i know that a staggering number of my male schoolmates were incels for a long time. Some still are.

>> No.13597270
File: 722 KB, 2448x3264, IMG_3990.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13597188
in real life i mean (i think i said; it's not relevant to the book)
>Wodehousian terms of affection will make me seem more in touch with the UK
that was a joke, old boy
>Nobody brought up UCAS
eh? i meant nobody i know talked about public/state/&tc schools except then, but you know lots about it.
>Yet you thought it up.
oh lord
>Was it built as a tech modern?
i don't know, why?
>the majority of children can't swim 25m
really?

>> No.13597469

>>13597270
>nobody i know talked about public/state/&tc schools except then, but you know lots about it.
This is why I know you never spent time in the UK.
>i don't know, why?
Because Hartlepool has an anomalous amount of secondaries which specialise in sport, and I want to know if you meant the one they made into a comp after the tech modern scheme collapsed or the foundation school they made after they realised comps were shit and had no facilities for specialist education like that.

>> No.13597477

>>13597270
And yes really, it's why the government were hoping private schools would share pools. And still are.

>> No.13597566
File: 879 KB, 2448x3264, EBD92F5E-12A0-441D-83B4-C5601CB8E7E5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13597469
>This is why I know you never spent time in the UK.
I'm beginning to think you don't live in England
>Because Hartlepool has an anomalous amount of secondaries which specialise in sport
How did you know that
>>13597477
>really
Really?

>> No.13598655

anyone have any experience with "Classical Education" schools?

>> No.13598881

>>13597566
>Why would anon know anything about the funding of Mandelson's constituency?
kek

>> No.13599226

>>13590117
Montessori seems really the best by far. Ordinary school is fabricating zombies en masse.

>> No.13599515

>>13591867
Why do you care if they figure out who it was?

>> No.13599806

>>13595405
>One silver lining is that the experience of "oppression" it has given me as a white male - while itself not awful, obviously - has cemented intersectionality and the cage of government certification as frameworks in my mind.
>tripfag
>is an AIDS-diseased faggot
imagine my shock

>> No.13600281

>>13599806
>seeing other perspectives is wrong