[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 35 KB, 316x500, the unconsoled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13579579 No.13579579 [Reply] [Original]

what's that one book you feel everyone should read that would change their life?

>> No.13579617

If you're gonna pick an Ishiguro it should be The Remains of the Day. Short and gripping with a clear enough message.

>> No.13579637

>>13579617
sure that's great but something about the sprawl of the unconsoled's anxiety dream and endless variations on responsibility and insecurities just hit home so hard and it's unequivocally his unhinged masterpiece. laying bare a soul on every level

>> No.13579647

>>13579637
I wish I could take away from the unconsoled whatever you took from it, so far as I read it it was a dream and I experienced it as one would experience a dream, and left not feeling especially satisfied.

>> No.13579658

I had to put the Unconsoled on hold but the 200 or so pages I have read are strangely enough very vivid in my memory and mind. I just felt like it build up a lot of confusion without ever delivering on it, which made it a little tedious. But the scene where he tells the woman to go to the cinema felt somehow really moving.

>> No.13579668

>>13579647
the idea is that a dream reveals your true self. it's all variations on a theme and you discover the guy through the weird anxiety scenarios. his soul resides there
just like a dream, various characters just fucking are him. brodsky as the pathetic maestro who can't fucking do it any more, stephen hoffmann as the sincere young virtuoso crippled by their parental issues.
the hotel manager and his eager desire to please
the parents who will arrive but who never will

>> No.13579671

>>13579637
Right but my point is that it's not terribly accessible. You're asking for a time-specific standardization, and Unconsoled is too convoluted to me for your average person to glean life-altering advice. I agree with you on its being his best work, but its a writer's book.

>> No.13579677

>>13579671
i mean fuck accessible