[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 602x452, poetry2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1354058 No.1354058 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/,
I hardly ever read poetry, so I'd like to change that.

Any entry level poets or poetry books you could recommend me? Any of your personal favorites that could be a good start?

Thanks

>> No.1354065

self bump

>> No.1354068

Robert Frost

>> No.1354070

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~martinh/poems/yeats.html
My favourite.

>> No.1354075

>>1354070
>>1354068

good(ish) start, thanks

>> No.1354076

Anything by Federico García Lorca; Poeta en Nueva York is probably the easiest collection to get your hands on.
Edgar Allan Poe has some really good worthwhile poems also.

>> No.1354081

i don't enjoy Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening anymore ever since i saw on roswell

>> No.1354089

Robert Frost fucking sucks lolol

>> No.1354092

>>1354089
Ppl who do not like Robert Frost usually having raging castration complexes. Just saying.

>> No.1354094

>>1354089

you know who else sucks? you. my dick. after i banged your mom in the ass

>> No.1354115

>>1354081
>>1354089
Tbere's a lot more to Frost than Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. The cool thing about Frost is there's a layer of his poetry that's very easy to grasp, but rereadings and close readings render interesting depths.
Much of William Carlos Williams poetry is similar. Also, lesser known is Edwin Arlington Robinson is another good one: he has a lot of narrative poetry that has SO many layers although it's extremely concise. Also, gotta love Walt Whitman: another poet that has poetry with many levels to delve into.

Also, one of my personal favorites is Shakespeare. If you get a good edition of his sonnets, they help a lot with reading his poetry, even though a lot of the language has changed.

>> No.1354124

>>1354115
*when i say Williams is similar, I mean in that a lot of it, at first glance like Frost's is literal and easy to grasp, but bears rereading. Obviously, there's a lot of differences formally between Frost's and Williams' poetry
(Frost writes in iambic meter - although unrhymed and disguised by vernacular and an ingenius ear for conversaional rhythm while Williams writes in Free Verse, for example)

>> No.1354122

Get some Norton Anthologies OP. Also there's a nice Poet Laureate anthology hanging around bookstores right now.

>> No.1354129

>>1354094
>>1354092
/trolled

>> No.1354132

Pablo Neruda
T. S. Eliot
Czeslaw Milosz
Federico García Lorca
Arthur Rimbaud
Octavio Paz

>> No.1354139

So there's Shakespeare....and everything else from the Americas.
Jesus, when the rest of the world say you cunts are self-obsessed, they're not exaggerating are they?

Cheeseburgers? Yes, you do these well

Poetry? No, you've yet to produce anyone significant

>> No.1354145

Any William Carlos Williams recommendations? I read a few of his poems but I can't get into it... maybe it's a case of 2deep4me but so far I haven't seen anything too interesting

>> No.1354167

>>1354139
Fuck, I just took an American poets class. So sue me if my primary knowledge of poets come from that class. I'm a fiction writer so before that class I wasn't all too familiar with poetry.
And how can you not call Walt Whitman "significant?"
Or Ezra Pound for that matter, considering that he was basically a forefather of New Criticism. Like it or not, that's highly influential.
And T.S. Eliot basically wrote a poem that was considered THE modernist poem of the time.
Look, I dislike a lot of aspects of my country. I'm anything but patriotic. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate some of the artists that came from here. I'm not going to recommend poetry I know nothing about and so far, what I've learned abou are American poets. There are plenty of foreign fiction writers I appreciate (to name a few: Nabokov, Yukio Mashima, Dostoevsky), but I'm still learning about poetry. I'm not going to stop at the American writers, but that class happened to be the only one available by the time I registered for classes last semester.

>> No.1354170

>>1354167
*comes from the class
Sorry about that

>> No.1354187

>>1354145
Some of his poetry focuses on "the process of looking" or just "the thing in itself":

Red Wheelbarrow
Young Sycamore
This is Just To Say
The Great Figure

These are good to start with because they seem really simple and you can get a feel for his work with enjambment and line breaks and not focus to much on the complexity of trying to understand right away.

These poems get more complex upfront:
Right of Way
Moderne Romance
Spring and All (a response to TS Eliot's Wasteland)
The Semblables

The cool thing about WIlliams is there so much lush sensory detail and an interesting sense of rhythm so even if you don't understand fully, you can appreciate it on that immediate level.

>> No.1354212

Jack Gilbert. Beautiful poet, not hard to enjoy. Links:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Fires-Poems-1982-1992/dp/0679747672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=129218837
2&sr=8-1

and

http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/1275

>> No.1354237

never liked poetry apart from limericks. adding cleverness to a serious message is like coating it in honey. example:

honey coated words
oh so sweet
but my tongue can't taste
if they're filled with deceit

>> No.1354247

>>1354167
Well all of the poets you've mentioned have done very well: shipped all over the world like so many cases of Sarsaparilla in a century you happened to dominate. But aesthetically? Hmmmm with the exception of Eliot (who realised he could still turn a couple of bucks in the ol' country by CLAIMING his work was inspired by being American), and possibly Dickinson (yes, she was quite unique) I don't think you've really added very much. Frost and Williams? Nice in their way but come on....
And as for Whitman and Pound: now that really is the strength of the dollar verses the strength of the verse.
But, forgive me if it seemed as if I was singling you out specifically - it was more a summnation of the thread. So, just to recap y'all, some good poets:

Frost
Frost
W.C Williams
Whitman
Frost
Shakespeare
Frost
Did Frost have any relatives? If so add them here_____

>> No.1354251

Get an anthology.
Palgrave's Golden Treasury, A Book of Luminous Things and any Norton Anthology would be a great place to start.
Staying Alive is a bit sappier but it's very good too.