[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 62 KB, 640x960, 1559760592124.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13519465 No.13519465 [Reply] [Original]

Did some of you struggle with this problem as well?
Whether it's reading or simply thing to chill in a meditative position, I never feel comfortable the way I sit for more than a few minutes. If I read on over 20 minutes in a seat, then it's because my mind filtered the uncomfortable sitting position away and I'm immersed in the text. How to learn to get into a comfortable position? How to solve this urban issue?
Thanks

>> No.13519495 [DELETED] 

>>13519465
Yes, this was a big problem for me when I started reading philosophy. Here's my advice (what I found works):
1. Never read while lying down. Always at desk. I mostly read non-fiction so your mileage may vary, but people focus better when sittibg than when lying down and I've noticed this myself.
2. Get a bookstand and read from that, your arms/neck/spine will thank you.
3. Like you noticed, it stops bothering you if you get immersed in the text. So just force it if all else fails, and you will soon forget about it.

>> No.13519513

>>13519465
Yes, this was a big problem for me when I started reading philosophy. Here's my advice (what I found works):
1. Never read while lying down. Always at desk. I mostly read non-fiction so your mileage may vary, but people focus better when sitting than when lying down and I've noticed this myself.
2. Get a bookstand and read from that, your arms/neck/spine will thank you.
3. Like you noticed, it stops bothering you if you get immersed in the text. So just force it if all else fails, and you will soon forget about it.
4. Get a lamp, ceiling light will kill your eyes and make you sleepy. It should be a lamp that doesn't have trouble lighting the entire book roughly equally - shadows and other effects of uneven lighting will tire you.

>> No.13519554

This is one of the reasons for my insomnia.

>> No.13519590
File: 30 KB, 579x579, 1563558625988.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13519513
Thanks.
I'm not a fan of "forgetting about it", I'd rather make it better than make it worse.
But thanks overall.