[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 916 KB, 1856x1372, spenta_vs_ angra_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13506078 No.13506078 [Reply] [Original]

Spenta = aligned with peace and contentment, like a warm, soothing bubble bath
Angra = aligned with anguish and discontentment, like a burning, scalding blood bath or black sewer

Spenta = Beatrix Potter, Molly Brett, Tove Jansson, Chris van Allsburg, Kenneth Graham

Angra = Thomas Ligotti, Thomas Aickman, Sadegh Hedayat, Laird Barron, Edgar Allan Poe

>> No.13506087

>>13506078
>Thomas Aickman
Shit, I meant to say Robert Aickman! Sorry I am stressed out.

>> No.13506138

>>13506078
After further consideration:
Change Molly Brett to Inga Moore.

>> No.13507804

>>13506078
i'd like to bump this for later use

>> No.13507817

How do we know big red man hasn't come to give him something nice like candy or DVDs?

>> No.13507831

>>13507817
It doesn’t take much life experience to understand that light color = good and dark color = bad

>> No.13507863

>>13507831
>>>/pol/

>> No.13507866

>>13507863
What a world

>> No.13507868

>>13506078
I recongnize you for from the other thread, please give me a way to read your texts in general

>> No.13507898

>>13507868
Let me give you something I wrote in a journal, and an answer some "guru" gave me which made me disillusioned with the biases of the modern world. It will take two posts to give the full text, but it basically recounts two dreams I've had:

I recently had two dreams in a row. My first dream involved finding myself in a labyrinthine library, which had multiple levels. There was a faint irradiance that permeated the entire setting. Each book on the shelves glowed as if begging to be grabbed. I found myself on the topmost level, and from the corner, a refulgence of light engulfed me. I trudged towards the most luminescent of books and picked it up. Beautiful and serene, I flipped through it without forethought. What moved me were the most beautiful of all vistas, invigorating my entire being with peace and calm. Picturesque and idyllic, the enchanting pictures emanated divine light, perfect order and stability. Its paintings were reminiscent of more otherworldly illustrations of Alfred Bestall or Maxfield Parrish. A picture book of absolute goodness, a Perfect Platonic form. I wanted to take this book to share with my wife.
I awoke once, hoping it was in my clasped right hand. My hand kept opening and closing as I gazed upon it with one open eye. Back to sleep once more, I attempted again to cling to the book, this time harder, to bring it to the actual world of matter. I failed once more.
I realized that no matter how many times I vainly tried to bring forth this book of absolute light of goodness, this Book of Spenta Mainyu, that it would forever remain in the recesses of this dream world. I gave up, for fear that after too many attempts, new dreams would overtake me thereby causing this comforting one to dissolve. I gently placed the book on the shelf. It is as if all the generosity, loving-kindness, and wisdom of this world were condensed into its purest and benevolent of all forms within that angelic book.
In the foyer of the library, I conversed with several people reading books.
“How can I bring books from this library to the actual world?” I inquired.
“Oh, you cannot bring any of those books to such a world,” one of them replied.
I became silent and morose. The dream ended, and I laid hopeless in bed. Being still tired, it took me five minutes to fall asleep once more.
The second dream occurred in a gas station. While walking around idly, the scene struck me as immensely decrepit and dirty. Stains of defecation were in the corners and all processed foods were expired. The main cashier seemed bored, reading a newspaper without a care in the world. I came across a peculiar magazine rack.
(CONTINUED)

>> No.13507902

>>13507898
Without much forethought, my hand glided towards a conspicuous magazine from which emitted a murky darkness. Appalled, it took my dream-mind a couple of seconds to process what it beheld: the book’s covering felt akin to skin and little strings dangled on its bottom. My fingers caressed its strings. “No, it couldn’t be,” I whispered. These flimsy strings were from human entrails, their stench unbearable. I became too fearful to open the book.
Eventually, some great unworldly dark temptation took hold of me, and I gently opened the book. Inside were pictures of dismembered children that shocked me whereby no words can do justice to the horror, like dark net engulfing one in its madness. As I flipped through the pages they became increasingly more chaotic and disorderly, the faces of blood and agony feeling even more frightening in this dreamworld. I immediately put the Book of Angra Mainyu back onto the rack. It is as if all the greed, hatred, and delusion of this world were condensed into its purest and malevolent of all forms within that infernal book.

My question is this:

How do the books of absolute light and darkness relate to Infinity? Are they both expressions of Infinity, or is only the Book of Absolute Light an expression of Infinity?

I have a hard time coming to terms with the Book of Absolute Darkness relating to Infinity. I prefer thinking of the book of darkness as being empty of Infinity and the book of light as full of Infinity, but I am not sure if this is honest, since it leads to more Gnostic sensibilities rather than Zen. Granted, I am interested in your thoughts.
----

Guess how my Zen "friend" responded? He said both are of Infinity!

But after more experiences and meditation, I believe only the book of Spenta Mainyu is of Infinity.

>> No.13507963

>>13507868
>>13507898
>>13507902
Anyways, I am reworking my philosophy to promote a kind of vertical cosmology where antidotes and poisons never blur. I do not treat the border between antidotes and poisons as indeterminate, and I dislike Derrida's idea of pharmakon. I am currently revisiting a bunch of mystical & philosophy texts, including some pre-Socratics, in order to flesh out my views more. I just believe in a kind of rudimentary vertical cosmology.

>> No.13508051
File: 110 KB, 953x1282, 53D2ACDF-E27B-4EE7-AA4D-465E8BB826CD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.13508068
File: 200 KB, 1080x1078, 39751532_1836804186366193_1012253843829817344_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13508051
Metaphysical systems that justify moral dualism are not pathetic.

>> No.13508138

>>13508068
>My fantasies prove the existence of metaphysical systems

>> No.13508189

>>13508138
Well, my actual epistemological & metaphysical arguments will be a bit more logically convoluted. I did write one piece where I did get a bit into the beginnings of the epistemology, but it will take awhile to defend it more. I have to go to bed soon, so I don't know if I am presently ready for a terse philosophical discussion. If you're a logical positivist/materialist/physicalist, then it's probably a waste of time to debate though.

My actual metaphysical arguments will be a little bit similar to Gnostic systems like Manichaeism,Schopenhauer, and Empedocles' ideas of Love and Strife. I just don't have the time to go through the professional exposition at the moment.