[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.86 MB, 2592x3456, goethe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13495511 No.13495511 [Reply] [Original]

I saw there was already a board up on German and the such but it was not what I was looking for and I do not feel like yelling into the abyss and derailing what it was originally put up for, hence the new thread. I would very much appreciate if anybody could suggest a book that would help provide me with a relatively thorough understanding of basic German grammar, for English speakers such as myself. I know you can get online guides but I want to make sure if there are any classics I am missing out on as I am afraid of finding something that cuts corners for tourists and the such. Once again, thank you for any suggestions.

>> No.13495578

>>13495511
English Grammar for Students of German is what you’re looking for OP. It explains grammatical concepts and how they apply to English before demonstrating them in German. It’s extremely useful.

>> No.13495892

The /lang/ threads in /int/ and their wiki have good resources. You would find it there, but I'm telling you here anyway, in /t/ there is a thread with a torrent with lots of resources to learn all kinds of languages.

>> No.13496144

German for Reading by Karl Sandberg

>> No.13496180

>>13496144
this

you can get good at german with 3 things, ideally.
1. german for reading. if you get through this book doing all the exercises and understanding everything it is 100% guaranteed you'll be able to read at least newspapers and basic literature books without having to look up many words.
2. movies with german audio + german subtitles. proven to be the best method to learn a language, association of new words with certain situations under certain context. There is no better way, immersion is the best and movies are the best way to immerse yourself. Literature books are good too but only when you're at a good level otherwise it'll be a chore, movies will be much more enjoyable and efficient.
3. pimsleur. this is a bit overhyped, but it is excellent for 3 things: 1. getting started on a new language (specially if it is a distant language); 2. understanding the very minute nuances of pronunciation, not the formal pronunciation, but the pronunciation of native speakers speaking fast (they will omit certain sounds and whatnot), knowing how to speak like natives will make your speaking much more natural and clear, but also, more importantly, will make you understand natives speaking MUCH better; 3. it forces you to speak. Learning by yourself, you most likely will speak very little, pimsleur puts you in exchanges with the audio, in small conversations, so it's a way to make you study actively and speak the language.

of course, if you can get fluent or not is a very difficult question, but if you finish that book and pimsleur's course while consistently watching movies/series with both audio+subs in german, you SHOULD be able to hold basic conversations with certain ease as well as read good books