[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.37 MB, 4656x2218, 20190712_223357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13454592 No.13454592 [Reply] [Original]

How do I read and stay focused? I spend more than 10 hours a day at the computer mindlessly going on youtube and memebook looking for entertainment and I'm slowly losing my mind here. I'm 25 and I've never read a book because I lose my attention way to quickly. I don't have dyslexia either

>> No.13454600

Stop touching yourself.

>> No.13454606

>>13454600
what do you mean, dubs man?

>> No.13454643

>>13454592

Unplug your computer. Unplug your router.

Disconnect the cables. Make it less convenient to use the computer than to pick up a book.

>> No.13454681

>>13454643
This. Then you have to wait for your brain to rewire due to neuroplasticity.

>> No.13454760

>>13454681

And take the battery out of your phone and place the battery as far from the phone as possible.

When you think to grab your phone you'll allow yourself time to redirect your thought and action into the reading you desire to do.

>> No.13454771

>>13454592
Turn off the internet. Lock yourself up in an Airbnb or go camping for a week w an ereader. Keep your progress on reading and try and improve (length then speed)

>> No.13454776

>>13454592

It’s like working out. Start small and in increment little by little, but stay true to your progress. You have to built discipline, it’s not a switch.

>> No.13454777

>>13454643
>>13454760
But what if i have nothing, absolutely nothing outside of the internet? For example, i have literally zero friends, and i'm also a neet. Won't i go insane if i shut off the last connection to the 'real' world if i just read books the whole day for the next 5 or 6 months until neuroplasticity kicks in?

>> No.13454782

>>13454777

Watch the Matrix film and understand what it means to "unplug" lol

>> No.13454786

Every time you try it gets easier, every time you make the right decision it gets easier. Every time you push yourself to read longer it’s easier to go farther on your next sit down. You’re not too old, you can still get into the groove. 50 year old stroke victims brute force control of lost limbs back with the same philosophy. Conversely though every time you give up or make the wrong decision, that gets easier also.

>> No.13454792

>>13454782
what do you mean? i haven't watched the matrix. is the matrix about being based and redpilled?

>> No.13454798

>>13454792

It's painful to unplug, you won't feel comfortable after you've unplugged, and sometimes there is pleasure in a buttplug in your butt

>> No.13454812

>>13454777
If you’re not going out and aren’t socializing you should start running and doing some cardio also, helps with your attention span. Drink lots of water, research the right posture for running and wear comfortable runners. Mind and body go hand in hand. Get the cardio going, train your mind a you’ll experience a new dawn in your life.

>> No.13454916

>>13454592
cu rabdarea treci si marea

>> No.13454924

Same

>> No.13455180 [DELETED] 

Take the Moore or Franzen Pill
>Q: WE HEAR YOU’RE NOT THAT KEEN ON TECHNOLOGY...
>A: I don’t have an internet connection, or a mobile phone, or a TV signal. I can play [digital] music on the television, or on the computer I suppose, but I don’t. I am pretty much cut off from the 21st century. It’s like culturally I’m trying to establish a kind of sensory deprivation tank for myself, whereby I am receiving no modern signals whatsoever, because I’ve heard that after a while in a sensory deprivation tank you start to hallucinate and have all sorts of strange experiences, so I’m waiting for that to happen.

>Q: HOW DO YOU MANAGE WITHOUT THE INTERNET?
>A: It seems to work. I am pretty much cut off from the majority of the 21st century, but not much escapes me. You hear about everything, because you’re talking to people, you’re absorbing a lot of this information as if by osmosis, just through the pores of your skin. I have said that by embracing the internet in the way that it has done, which was kind of inevitable, society has embarked on a massive experiment without having any idea of the various ways in which those technologies will impact upon us socially, politically and psychologically. So I so think if there’s this huge experiment going on, it’s best that I remain outside the petri dish, as a kind of control, so that we’ll be able to see how badly the rest of you have mutated, by comparing you with me as a kind of baseline.
>>>interview with Alan Moore

>> No.13455194
File: 14 KB, 403x292, moore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Take the Moore or Franzen Pill
>Q: WE HEAR YOU’RE NOT THAT KEEN ON TECHNOLOGY...
>A: I don’t have an internet connection, or a mobile phone, or a TV signal. I can play [digital] music on the television, or on the computer I suppose, but I don’t. I am pretty much cut off from the 21st century. It’s like culturally I’m trying to establish a kind of sensory deprivation tank for myself, whereby I am receiving no modern signals whatsoever, because I’ve heard that after a while in a sensory deprivation tank you start to hallucinate and have all sorts of strange experiences, so I’m waiting for that to happen.

>Q: HOW DO YOU MANAGE WITHOUT THE INTERNET?
>A: It seems to work. I am pretty much cut off from the majority of the 21st century, but not much escapes me. You hear about everything, because you’re talking to people, you’re absorbing a lot of this information as if by osmosis, just through the pores of your skin. I have said that by embracing the internet in the way that it has done, which was kind of inevitable, society has embarked on a massive experiment without having any idea of the various ways in which those technologies will impact upon us socially, politically and psychologically. So I so think if there’s this huge experiment going on, it’s best that I remain outside the petri dish, as a kind of control, so that we’ll be able to see how badly the rest of you have mutated, by comparing you with me as a kind of baseline.
>>>interview with Alan Moore

>> No.13455199
File: 136 KB, 650x840, 1554226529269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I have one of those nine-pound Dell laptops you can get for $389 because nobody ended up buying that model, for obvious reasons. I took the wireless card out immediately, and I plugged up the Ethernet hole with superglue. I did work on a DOS machine until about five years ago. It ran WordPerfect 5.0, which is still the best software ever written for a writer, I think.

>It’s doubtful that anyone with an Internet connection at his workplace is writing good fiction.

>> No.13455237

>>13455199

why does he keep a shovel near his desk?

>> No.13455279

Through "habit". If you find it hard to read at all, just read for half-an-hour a day for a week. Then an hour a day the next week. Then two hours a day.

>> No.13455414

>>13454592
I'm like you, though a year younger. All I do is lurk here and sometimes shitpost. I don't use any other website besides maybe Youtube and RuneTracker. Sometimes I read blogs, that's it.
I live with old women. They're always around. If I make a noise, they come running, asking "what's wrong???" I hide in my room all day, except to pace in the yard and buy fast food. I don't make any noise, except to sometimes punch my door. The whole neighborhood can hear you even if you speak inside your living room.

You say you're losing your mind; I have already lost mine. I keep repeating in my head, "niggers, niggers, I fucking hate niggers, no niggers around here, there are niggers around here." Sometimes I make it funny and say to myself, "gno gniggers garound ghere."
I'll often drive off in the middle of the night only to return. I can scream while driving. No one hears me there.
I can't even think. My fingernails are purple. Sometimes I forget what I was thinking 5 seconds ago. I often feel lightheaded. I sit all day hiding.
All I want is to be alone with no one to hear me. I am sensitive to sound. I don't want people reacting to my sounds. I don't want people reading my face. My mother always looks at me. She keeps asking if I'm mad.

There is no way out. I fucking hate niggers. Stupid low IQ monkeys always misunderstand me. Fuck niggers fuck niggers fuck niggers fuck niggers fuck niggers

>> No.13456091
File: 265 KB, 1600x1200, AMMK 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13455194
I like Alan Moore's busted old keyboard.

>> No.13457490

>>13455199
>>It’s doubtful that anyone with an Internet connection at his workplace is writing good fiction.
Didn't him say this piss off a load of people?

>> No.13457497
File: 246 KB, 602x404, 1562998618111.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13454592
I've a friend who's just like you.

READ NON-FICTION. A PHILOSOPHY BOOK PREFERABLY