[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 245x212, barnes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1343985 No.1343985 [Reply] [Original]

Ask a Barnes and Noble Bookseller anything.

>> No.1343989

What do you sell?

>> No.1343988

Pretentious story please.

>> No.1343992
File: 17 KB, 346x297, trdrawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1343985
What book should I ask for to make me look like a complete badass?

>> No.1343991

do you guys ever catch shoplifters?

its like i dont even have to conceal the stack of books when i walk out

>> No.1343994

>>1343988
Someone came in asking for the non-fiction section. I told them that was a lot of the store, could they be more specific. The customer got flustered and walked around themselves. They went to biographies then said very loudly 'Well THIS looks like non-fiction to me!'

>> No.1343995

Have you ever considered the fact that you are a cog in the heartless machine of mainstream publishing?

>> No.1343998

When is A Dance with Dragons coming out?

>> No.1344000

Gonna use this trip for clarity.

>>1343989
books

>>1343991
Yes, I caught a woman two weeks ago trying to steal Rosetta stone boxes (they were empty hahaha)

>>1343992
American Shaolin: Iron Crotch (yes it's a book)

>> No.1344003

>>1343995
I love to read so 30% off books is pretty great, I'm an extra happy cog :)

>>1343998
Book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire is called A Dance with Dragons. It is currently being written by George R.R. Martin.

No release date has been confirmed as yet.

>> No.1344004

>>1344000
what happened to the woman?

also, i just steal books. maybe ~50 bucks worth each time. how much trouble can i get in?

>> No.1344005

>>1344000
>American Shaolin: Iron Crotch

Before I look it up on teh wiki or Amazon why do you recommend that above any other book on badassery?

>> No.1344009

>>1344004
There is a very good chance, sir, that your face is already in our break room. It's just a matter of catching you. With only 50 dollars or so on you, you'll most likely be asked to leave and not come back IF they don't recognize you. If they DO, you'll see some police instead and they'll basically find out everything you've stolen, so if that exceeds a certain amount, it's considered a felony.

>> No.1344010

>>1344009
alright thanks. i'll just stick to stealing from the mom and pop stores then

>> No.1344011

>>1344005
Because you said what book to ask for. If you want to look like a badass, there is no better way than to ask for a book with Iron Crotch in it's title with a straight face.

>> No.1344012

>>1344004
Sorry didn't answer the other part. We asked her why she was taking our Rosetta Stone boxes away in her purse. She obviously thought they were full of something, because she said she didn't know they were there, took them out, and left.

>> No.1344013

>>1344011
Good point.

>> No.1344019

>>1343991
I'm not trying to get you in trouble or anything, but which state are you getting away with this in?

>> No.1344022

What's your opinion on ereaders?

>> No.1344024

>>1344022
I have been conditioned to respond with Nook color. There are positive features to both Kindle and Nook, Kindle has a better network atm, but since Nook uses the Android network, it has an easier timer instantly updateing

On e-readers in general, I like paper bound books better and always will. There is something to say for having newspaper delivered to your e-reader every morning or doing sudoku or crosswords, but paper books will always be for me.

>> No.1344025

Do you find the "oooh that looks interesting" sections (which is everything else) are getting smaller, while the latest bullshit books section for people who buy about three books a decade are getting bigger?

>> No.1344027

>>1344024
do you see them as a threat to your job?

>> No.1344031

With the nook, kindle and iPad as the future of books and publishing have you started looking for your next job? and if so what are you getting into?

>> No.1344033

>>1344025
In terms of latest bullshit section books, we have a few non-shelf tables and end caps and one large 5 rows deep and across shelves with new release books RIGHT when you walk into the store. I mostly work in kids, so all of stuff is ooh interesting.

Sadly kids also means teens and in this aspect you are 100% correct. They have given teen fiction the same amount of room as a section titled 'Teen Paranormal Romance'. I'm not lying, that's a real section.

>> No.1344038

how do i get free shit from your store without committing a crime

>> No.1344039

>>1344027
No, because even though e-readers are cool and can go anywhere with hundreds of books, there will always be a market for paper books, at least within the near future. Perhaps when we have to stop cutting down trees, books will die out, but I think for as long as I need my job, I will have it.

>>1344031
Like I said above, it's not the future of publishing yet. There will always be at the VERY least a niche market for books. Additionally, I am currently working on my teaching degree. Hopefully there will still be a need for human interaction to facilitate education in the future :)

>> No.1344040

Man, I wanna teen paranormal romance

>> No.1344048

>>1344038
Well, the cafe will often give out samples of something if you ask. Becoming an employee is also a great way to get free items. We have a box that is labelled free in the break room full of random books and items. Just the other day I picked up a perfectly fine copy of Bill Clinton's autobiography and a Harry Potter Chess Set. Also, heres a little known fact: Barnes and Noble employees often get to read an advanced copy of books months before they are released. You can also KEEP that book when you finish reading it. My boss last year got an early copy of Catching Fire, a popular teen fiction book.

>> No.1344049

Are there any questions from customers you dread?

>> No.1344051

How does corporate tell you to sell the Nook Color and do many people go for it? I honestly don't see the point. I would've asked at the store but I haven't been inside a BN since I got my 1st gen nook.

>> No.1344053

Dan?

>> No.1344054

>>1344049
Do you know where this book is, it has a blue cover, well maybe its green...and my daughter said the author is Chinese and won an award or something in 1990? Those questions are common and hated.

I also dislike, where is the bathroom? It is a large sign 15 feet in the air and painted in BRIGHT orange and green, fairly easy to see if anyone cared to.

>> No.1344058

>>1344051
Well there are certain cases where they'll let you exchange a nook for a nook color with a little $ added. And before you ask, I am not privy to those conditions, I was told it is on a case by case basis. Corporate wants us to sell nook colors by mostly talking about the network it's on and how you can see things in color. There is no strategy change really except 'Push nook Color first'; it's the same way companies try to upsell you drinks. 'So would you like a Large drink today?' Then if you say no, they go to the medium before the small. We try to sell you the color, but will accept any nook sale.

Honestly and oddly enough, people like colors, so they sell themselves to people who want a nook.

>>1344053
Sorry no. :)

>> No.1344060

With what percentage of accuracy can you predict someone's book choices just by looking at them?

>> No.1344063

How come in every store the Comic section is right in the open. I want to pick up some TPBs, but I am shamed that I read them. I hate when people see me browsing for them in the open

>> No.1344068

Why is the Science Fiction and Fantasy section getting smaller, especially for franchise titles? The Star Wars and Star Trek section is getting pathetic. It looks as if the Manga section is beginning the swallow them up.

>> No.1344070

>>1344060
See now this is easy and difficult to answer.

The area I sell books is white soccer mom upper middle class city in Southern Louisiana. Instantly, I can tell you that 95% of the people who come in are conservative and want the latest Glenn Beck or O'Reily book. I cannot even REMEMBER the last time Obama's children book was sold.

Aside from stereotypes around location, kids between 12 and 17 usually want to know where manga is, or a chapter book in the kids section.
Old people always want religious, cooking, or conservative political books.
The 20-29 year old star wars types go to sci fi.
Women with kids usually go to kids and sit at the train set to browse Vogue.
Men with kids do the same things but forget to take a book with them.

>> No.1344071

>>1344068
people write novels based on star trek?

>> No.1344079

>>1344063
My store has it hidden in the back corner near the music adjoining wall and sci fi. You are mostly only seen for a brief second by people going to the bathroom, or others who are into your tastes. I also usually pull a chair or two near there because I know people there like to be comfy too.

>>1344068
It's because what is considered Sci Fi by Barnes and Noble is broken up more. For instance, Orson Scott Card just dropped a new book, and it went to the teen section, not sci fi. Also it may seem like sci fi is getting swallowed because it is usually grouped with fantasy AND the new release area for sci fi is like 3 sections of shelves. Go check out the new release area (should be at the beginning of sci fi) and you'll see we get around 20 new sci fi titles every few months.

For Star Wars and Star Trek specifically, they have their own respectable sections, and while I'm no genius on Star Trek, I can tell you Star Wars has like 2+ release a year.

>> No.1344082
File: 53 KB, 470x336, 1290015283160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1344068
>complains about manga
>reads star wars and star treck sci-fi

>> No.1344083

>>1344070

So, given the demographic of your store, are there any parts of the store which run at a loss but you still have to have them because it's somehow expected of a bookstore? Like a.. um...Black literature section? Or a philosophy section?

Like, as much of a nightmare it would be, I sometimes wonder why bookstores here in the UK just don't give themselves wholly over to trash and text books.

>> No.1344086

>>1344068
Here's another reason. Manga is kind of becoming a following that's not cult or mainstream but somewhere in between. Much like Star Wars and Star Trek were a few decades ago. It's possible that the area alloted is a reflection of current trends.

>> No.1344095

How do you feel now that you know Borders is buying you?

>> No.1344099

>>1344083
Oddly enough, magazines. We have like NO magazine sales. It's also a nightmare to organize. But the section will continue to persist for a bit longer.

I mean, we have a LOT of sections that are quite niche or very specific with very few contributing to sales in a way above 1%; philosophy, New Age, Sexuality, Calendars. The demographics of the store are usually only reflected in a positive way, i.e. we sell a lot of religious material we sell a lot of conservative material. We usually just don't stock as much product as what we know won't sell. Let's say a DC bookstore gets 250 copies of an Obama book. We would probably maybe order 50, assuming the same store traffic.

A lot of the money in a Barnes and Noble comes from music and cafe actually. Usually like 20%+.

>> No.1344102

>>1344095
That's straight hilarious. The only things I've heard about is some internal law saying that an outside shareholder can't control a majority share of stock in the company and some guy wanted to and had Barnes and Noble in court about their OWN policy.

>> No.1344107

>>1344099
thanks for answering. got to go eat.

>> No.1344222

German comrade in trade reporting in.
Same with manga teens and soccer moms in for the latest controversial drivel, same with cookbook grannies but swap left and right and religion and literature. Same fucking thing with the magazines. I guess we just copy whatever works in the USA. Posting from a Social Democrat stronghold, wbu?

>> No.1344234

Do people often get locked into B&N at night?

>> No.1344258

Interesting threat is interesting.

>> No.1344312

Have you ever caught anyone trying to be locked in at night?

>> No.1344324

>>1344312
>>1344234
I remember someone in another B&N thread saying that they have motion sensors and as soon as anyone moved around they'd set off the alarm and the cops would show up.

>> No.1344409

>>1344039
Also, you can always work in used book stores and libraries because when books st

>> No.1344460
File: 57 KB, 550x550, readfag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you know the national sales numbers/percentages for genres? If not can you give a breakdown of your store's numbers? Thanks.

>> No.1344555

is this sean?

>> No.1345078

>>1344011

>with Iron Crotch in it's title with a straight face.
>it's title

You're fired.

>> No.1345228

Would you recommend on getting a job at B&N?

>> No.1345237

Borders bookseller here, you guys forced us to shut down a superstore and a Waldenbooks location at the local mall. Expect flaming bags of poop, mate. Expect them

>> No.1345287

>>1345237

Which mall? It happened at a local mall near me as well.

>> No.1345318

>>1345287
Clackamas Town Center, Clackamas, Oregon. There are only two other Borders near here, the one I work at and one in downtown Portland, which is closing because the building owner wants to put in boutiques. All the Borders customers that come into my store are deeply concerned that the whole chain is going out of business, but it's just a really bad series of coincidences. The Portland office is going to be back in 2011, soon as they find a new space, and my branch isn't going anywhere

>> No.1345327

>>1345318
Ah. Completely opposite side of the continent. Either way, I knew the manager at the Waldenbooks nearby and apparently there is a corporation in Michigan that makes the final decision to cut certain book chains (excuse my ignorance).

On a lighter note, how is Oregon? I want to move out that way after college.

>> No.1345370

>>1345327
Corporation in Michigan, hmm? First I would have heard of that, but I suppose it's not implausible that a series of national malls are held by the same corporation that then dictates which stores go where. From my understanding the local mall pushed out the Borders and Waldenbooks it had in exchange for a gigantic B&N, but I don't know more than that.

Personally, I love Oregon the place, hate Oregon the state. If you move to the Portland metro area you'll be facing a nearly constant drizzle, but if you like clouds (I like to think they're big puffy blankets pulled over the world :D), then you've also got huge forests, constant greenery, really nice place. The people are extremely liberal, keep that in mind

>> No.1345379

Do B&N employees secretly get pissed off, but can't show it, when people grab a book or a magazine, grab a coffee, sit down, and read it for the next two hours without buying it?

>> No.1345390

>>1345379

not OP but I work at B&N too.

and yes. so many times yes. fuckin assholes leaving shit everywhere. HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT IT BACK? IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! and what is really awful is when people read a magazine for 2 hours and leave it completely DESTROYED without buying it. so frustrating.

>> No.1345398

>>1345370

I'm sure it goes both ways. They didn't replace the waldenbooks and borders with anything other than a downgrade.

I don't mind the strange weather as long as it doesn't go below 40 too much (VA fag here). The liberal environment would be a polar opposite change and a refreshing one at that for me. Are they smug about their opinions or are they collectively a relaxed demographic?

>> No.1345395

barnewas an dhomos noobstore incorporated. get a real job (army_

>> No.1345416

interesting thread is interesting

>> No.1345447 [DELETED] 

>>1345390
I worked an Indigo (Canadian B&N) for a couple years and I never got mad. Maybe I'm just not angry person, but putting books back on shelves is really not fucking hard to do.

Easiest job I've ever had. As long as you're moderately out going, go around and talk to people, kill time by shelving books, overall you don't do shit.

Also, bookstores are by far the easiest retailers to steal from.

>> No.1345534

Same Indigo guy again, I'm bored.

Basically, no one can restrain within a store. Even if they see you and they yell "hey fucker! don't you fucking leave" they can't lay a hand on you. And if someone accuses you of stealing that HAVE to have seen you put the item in your bag, and even then, you haven't really stolen until you've left the store. Might just get really awkward if you have some books in you're bag and they saw you and ask you to remove them. In which case I'd just say, run and don't come back.

Depending on the size of the store they might have cameras, but if they do they likely only look at them if they need to track down a face, so in the case where you ran out of the store. If your bookstore has a coffeeshop just pretend like you brought the book from home and walk out.

If you want to steal on a regular basis I recommend buying a couple books from time to time, it'll ward off any doubt.

>> No.1345538

*no one can restrain you within a store*
*And if someone accuses you of stealing they HAVE to have seen you*

I can't fucking type tonight.

>> No.1345802

If I'm (hypothetically) trying to be hired, are there special bookstore ways to impress and/or suck up to the management?

>> No.1345813

>>1345538
>>1345534

This got me wondering ... a lot of times, at either b&n or borders i can't remember which, perhaps both, there is this entry vestibule -- an anti-chambre, if you will -- that you pass through before you even cross the magnetic theft sensors. they oftentimes use this area to display markdown merchandise. there don't appear to be any cameras in there, and it is not very much within any employee's view. i am always tempted to steal from there, but too much of a pussy i guess to do it. the only times i have every stolen from stores were when a cashier forgot to ring something and I pretended not to notice either, such as happens sometimes with items in the bottom of my shopping cart, in which case i could reasonably claim that i hadn't been paying attention. i'm afraid to straight-up shoplift, but this seems like the perfect opportunity. there was one time, i saw something i actually wanted in the vestibule area, and was pissed at myself for not lifting it.

>> No.1345819

>>1345813
sorry, i'm also tired, forgot to actually pose my question:

assuming you can tell what i'm talking about with respect to the vestibule, do you think one could steal from there pretty safely?

>> No.1346882

>>1345819
>saging every post