[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 443 KB, 800x1182, 1562330413890.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13416161 No.13416161 [Reply] [Original]

I would like recommendations for books about regret.

I feel that I have built my life up to nothing. I have a useless college degree in which I have lost all interest, and I have no serious plans as to how to get out of it, how to break into another field; it seems that every escape available is another mediocrity, and that even if I viciously fought to the top of my field any reward for that effort would be mediocre: king of the shit heap. I am friendless and isolated. I have lost all passion or excitement...at this point I read only out of habit. I often have little urge to even eat. The only thing really motivating me is the knowledge that if I let go everything will be worse. If I gave up, Iwould then be jobless, and then homeless, and then hopeless, immense efforts then necessary even to reacquire mediocrity, and the only other escape just submission to oblivion.

I feel that I have been lied to all my life about how the world works, or else I simply have not listened. The only thing in all the world I have going for me is that I happen to be articulate.

>> No.13416329
File: 19 KB, 220x310, 220px-Søren_Kierkegaard_(1813-1855)_-_(cropped).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13416161
Here are some quotes that have helped me

“Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.”
-Kierkegaard

"Aristippos was thought to have made a very sound point when he urged people not to worry afterwards about things that have gone by, or worry in advance about those that are yet to come. For such an attitude is a sign of confidence and gives proof of a cheerful state of mind. He recommended that one should concentrate on the present day, and indeed on the very part of it in which one is acting and thinking. For only the present, he said, truly belongs to us, and not what has passed by or what we are anticipating, for the one is gone and done with, and it is uncertain whether the other will come to be."
-Aelian, Historical Miscellany

The last one I read in "Diogenes : Sayings and Anecdotes" which I would recommend.

>> No.13416576

>>13416329
This give me no solace for the specific reason that I still want to find a way out, need to find a way out. These quotes suggest surrender, but I am not yet so far gone that I cannot build something better.

I just do not yet know what, and fear I never will.

>> No.13416595

>>13416576
>These quotes suggest surrender
Or acceptance?

>> No.13416629

>>13416595
Same thing, no?

>> No.13416688

>>13416629
One allows you to move forward

>> No.13416701

I struggle with this. The only antidote is to act. Specific actions, no matter how small. If you don't have a goal which you can break down into small increments then just pick one arbitrarly and move. Point is to stick to something and to feed new infirmation into the system. Otherwise you simply stew in an endless loop of your own misery and past regrets. I see the struggle of life as crawling around in a dark tunnel. Mostly I just see a dim light but it is enough to keep crawling. Sometimes I lose sight and there is only darkness. Still, I keep moving, sometimes with no idea where I'm headed, but I have faith. Never blame externals, always assume your fate is your doing and your doing only. If you can't manufacture even the most basic goal to start building on then I symphatize, I have been there, in utter dispare. But I also think it may be a case of you just not listening to yourself carefully enough. I believe people have the answers they seek within because they can usually envision a life worth living even if they feel hopelessly removed from it.

>> No.13416703
File: 592 KB, 1242x814, 1548139545742.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13416161
"What I learned losing a million dollars" by Jim Paul. There is an ebook of it on b-ok.org or libgen.io find it and read it. You will find a soul that felt the same way you do now and even tried to kill himself because of it, hit the rock bottom but collected himself and slowly rebuild and won his life back.
The second part of this book helped me immersely to bootstrap myself back, stronger, wiser, seeing clearer, really getting to peace with myself and regain motivation to rebuild myself back, bit by bit to the best person I ever was and continue in the process.
Godspeed anon, do not lose hope and be patient with yourself.

>> No.13416738
File: 35 KB, 316x500, the unconsoled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

most ishiguro

>> No.13416752

Embrace the boot heel of God that is firmly placed on your neck. Look up in defiance and laugh. Make it your life's goal to take as much punishment as he can dish out. Assume every day you don't give in is a victory against him. Stride through life with a straight back, clenched fists and a rock hard dick