[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 81 KB, 600x997, abc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1341317 No.1341317 [Reply] [Original]

Yesterday I asked on here which work should I read next. I read it today. I give it a 4.5/5. I am speechless.
How good are the rest of the books in the saga?

>> No.1341390

They're ok.

The Ender Saga (Speaker, Xenocide, Children of the Mind) is really good.

The Shadow series is decent, i really enjoyed it but the people tend to not like them.

I have yet to read the newest book, the shorts, and he's writing a final book to tie the two series together.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the sequels though.

>> No.1341430

The sequel is about as awesome as Ender's Game, but in a very different way. It's this science fiction crime thingy exploring moral issues on this religious colony with aliens on them, and the tone and everything is very different. You might want to skip the next paragraph as I'm going to say what it's about, though I don't think you care; there aren't many people who don't want to know *anything* about something they're going to read; but still, just in case, I'm telling.

It takes place several thousand years after Ender's Game because Ender's been travelling the galaxy, and because of faster-than-light travelling he's still just in his 30s or so. He's accompanied by the Internet, I think, which has somehow become a concious being, and he's trying to solve a murder case. Ender, you see, has become a Speaker which is something like a secular priest that travels the galaxy, researching the lives of dead people, and holding speeches about them, trying to summarize their lifes, at their funerals. To do this, for this murdered person on this one specific colony, he has to explore the society at this space colony, understand the people who live there and the aliens that shares the planet with these colonists, while still trying to deal with his past and feeling bad about it.

Just to let you know that it's very well thought out, and not just a forced sequel, the writer actually thought this novel out before he wrote Ender's Game which was just meant to set the background for the character in this one, yet somehow ended up becoming more successful.

>> No.1341432

>>1341430

The next one, Xenocide, kind of went on forever and I didn't really like it that much. Though I guess it was okay. Somehow never even finished Children of the Mind, and the Shadow books I don't really know anything about. So yeah, I don't know, but you should at least check out Speaker for the Dead.

But though I dig these two books you should still know that the author has some pretty unpleasant views about several things. I won't tell you what to do, but you might want to know that he's a board member of the National Organization for Marriage which wants to stop the legalization of gay marriages, and he has claimed that people who become homosexual become so after being molested or abused. He has also said that every nation that accepts gay marriages is a mortal enemy of his, which means he's technically, at least if you want to look at it like that, in war with, among other countries, Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Spain. He has also written this book about a new American civil war where it's left versus right, and I probably don't need to say who the good guys are.

In other words, if you think he's a meany, maybe getting it from your library or downloading a PDF would be a better option. Of course you might even agree with him and know this from before, I don't know, but there you have some more information, which if it doesn't bother you politically, at least gives you some background of him which I guess some people like to have of authors when they're trying to understand them.