[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 856x482, 1561293001901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13364397 No.13364397 [Reply] [Original]

>No point in living
>No point in killing myself
>No point in doing anything
>No point in doing nothing
>No point in being alone
>No point in being together with someone
>No point in cheating
>No point in murdering someone who cheated on you
>No point in living

>> No.13364413

>>13364397
Reasons to believe based on reason:
>argument from contingency
>argument from desire (since humans naturally have some desire to seek God, then, as hunger suggests the existence of food, then perhaps our desire for God suggests his existence as well, or at least our belief is justified spiritually/biologically)
>ontological argument (if God can exist, he does exist, etc. and various versions)
>argument from absurdity (if God does not exist, then existence is absurd. Like a mathematical proof, this suggests that what is absurd is not true, and that therefore God exists)

Now these arguments appeal to our rational faculties, but it must be said that they can’t actually prove God’s existence. We could just as easily think of some reasons against God’s existence, though they might not be as convincing. Humans are infinitely ignorant, so our reason cannot lead us anywhere. It all comes down to faith in the end. So why should we have faith in God?
>gives your life meaning
>makes the world seem a little less complex and infinitely confusing
>gives you hope, makes you grateful, keeps you in check of sinning (noFap is a great example. You now have a spiritual reason not to masturbate)
>gives you rest in this life and the next
>is no less reasonable than having faith in any other thing (such as God’s non-existence)
>the existence of religion makes it appear that God is concerned with us and our well-being in this life and the next. So we should worship Him

>> No.13364418
File: 87 KB, 807x480, ED10CF4F-769C-4284-8907-6D9FFB6D1560.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13364397
>>13364413
So it makes more sense to believe than not to believe. But which religion should we follow? Let us first eliminate the religions that we do not want to follow:
>any religion/philosophy that claims wisdom without God cannot be trusted, since man is infinitely ignorant, especially about heavenly things
>any religion that doesn’t promise a good afterlife can be dismissed, since we have no good reason to follow it
>any religion that allows you to follow another path and still benefit can be dismissed, since we can simply choose a religion that is exclusive
>any religion that is dead/extinct can be dismissed, since obviously that God does not care about our worship of him. This does not necessarily mean that the most popular religion is true, however.
>any religion that claims it’s inspired by God, but does not give sufficient reason to believe this, such as through prophecy or miracles, can be dismissed
>any religion that is polytheistic, having no “monotheistic” God as laid out in various rational arguments, can be dismissed, since such a religion does not get its wisdom from the only source that matters. Indeed, these gods could very well be demons.

I could probably add a few more general criteria, but that is enough for now. What religions are we left with to seriously consider? Christianity, for sure. Islam and Judaism, maybe. Those are the most popular monotheistic religions, accessible to nearly everyone. It doesn’t take much to disprove Islam: just compare Muhammad and Jesus. One performed miracles and fulfilled many prophecies, the other didn’t. One looted and killed and had many sexual relations, the other didn’t. This should be enough. As for Judaism, then it is already unlikely to be true, since Jesus fulfilled OT prophecies and references (Isaiah 53, Psalm 22) and odd coincidences such as “Bethlehem” meaning “house of bread.” And in the book of Daniel, it’s said that the messiah will come before the destruction of the second temple (70 A.D.), which is what Jesus did. Furthermore, even if Judaism is true, then as long as a Christian follows the old law as best he can and worships God, then perhaps he will not suffer in the afterlife.

Overall, one can simply say that Christianity is the most difficult religion to have been faked. It also directly addresses our problems (we are sinful) and gives us a remedy through Jesus Christ, as prophesied long ago. We are given this beautiful religion in one of the most influential texts of all time, the Bible, and it’s clear why. What religion can compare? Yes, there are infinite religions, but does that mean they are all equally probable? Ask yourself, if Christianity is true, or X religion is true, then is there any religion X such that this dilemma would cause you trouble and hesitation?

>> No.13364422

>>13364418
>”b-but if Islam is true then you’ll go to Hell!”
Nope.

Quran:
>(2:62) Whether they are the ones who believe (in the Arabian Prophet), or whether they are Jews, Christians or Sabians – all who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and do righteous deeds – their reward is surely secure with their Lord; they need have no fear, nor shall they grieve.

Bible:
>Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

>> No.13364423
File: 511 KB, 1079x1114, havesex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does looking at life make you realize what you are missing?

>> No.13364427
File: 688 KB, 1395x840, camus.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13364397
There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.

>> No.13364428

>>13364413
>>13364418
>>13364422
>inb4 “but i can’t choose to believe”
Deuteronomy 4:29
>But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Proverbs 8:17
>I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.
Jeremiah 29:13
>You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:7-8
>Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
Isaiah 55:6-7
>Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Lamentations 3:25
>The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
James 4:8
>Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
2 Chronicles 7:14
>If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Matthew 5:6
>Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Humble yourself, read the Bible, pray, do good works, avoid sin, go to church, always seek the Lord. I’m a living testament that a hard agnostic atheist can become a believer.

>> No.13364430

>>13364423
>Does looking at life make you realize what you are missing?
I see no good in this world, nothing worth clinging to life for. I never have, even as a child.

>> No.13364435

>>13364413
>>13364418
>>13364422
>>13364428
Fuck off you schizophrenic retard, your stupid cult doesn't bring anyone with half a brain any comfort

>> No.13364441

>>13364435
What’s the purpose of such a post? Is it supposed to be an argument? Or a mere knee-jerk angry response? Are you trying to “downvote” me as if this were reddit? Do you think your words are convincing in the slightest?

Psalm 10:4
>In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him; all his thoughts are, “There is no God.”
Proverbs 18:12
>Before destruction a man's heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.
Proverbs 26:12
>Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

James 4:10
>Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

>> No.13364448

>>13364418
Over half the bible is known to be a forgery, the books are not written by who they claim to be written by.

>> No.13364450

>>13364441
>What’s the purpose of such a post?
It's very clear: Fuck off. Nobody wants to hear your drivel about a kike on a stick.

>> No.13364459

>>13364441
>>13364428
how do you biblefasting so fast

>> No.13364462

>>13364448
(citation needed)
>>13364450
go back to plebbit where you can downvote opinions you don’t like

>> No.13364467

>>13364418
These reasons all seem tailored to the answer you've decided in advance to give. This is rather unconvincing. Let me raise you something that works just as well, and satisfies most your criteria: believe right religion is Judaism and be a goy. According to judaism, the jews have to follow 613 commands, but the goyim only 7, and correspond to what is considered moral behavior in most of the world anyway (don't kill, don't steal, don't cheat, don't bear fals testimony, the only spiritual requirement is believing in the existence of God).
Your reason for following an exclusive religion is also contrived. A religion that allows you to follow other paths leaves you more opportunities to achieve spiritual fulfillement, while reducing the risk of damnation.
Come to think of it, most your reasons are also dumb (we are infinitely ignorant about heavenly things, therefore we should not believe in wisdom without God? but by the same token you could say the more a religion affirms something positive about God the more dubious it is).

TL;DR: Your apologetics are sloppy, apply yourself.

>> No.13364469

>>13364462
>(citation needed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvKxJc-huEA

>> No.13364470

>>13364397

'Love life more than the meaning of it?'
'Yes, certainly. Love it regardless of logic, as you say. Yes, most certainly regardless of logic, for only then will I grasp its meaning. That's what I've been vaguely aware of for a long time. Half your work is done, Ivan: you love life. Now you must try to do the second half and you are saved.'
The brothers karamazov, D.

>> No.13364474

>>13364462
>go back to plebbit where you can downvote opinions you don’t like
You're free to post whatever you like, and I and others are free to call you a bible bashing faggot who needs to fuck off to his containment thread.

>> No.13364475

>>13364435
>doesn't bring anyone with half a brain any comfort
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

>> No.13364477

>>13364474
Well I’m not going anywhere, so why do you think you should tell me to leave? Honestly what is going through your mind?

>> No.13364482

>>13364477
That you're of no use to me because you're just spamming my thread with retarded bullshit. You think you're helping, you think people go "hmmm...I guess he's right". They don't. Ever.

You're a fly buzzing around people's heads. You're nothing but annoying.

>> No.13364483

>>13364475
Yes and?

Those people are all retarded cowards.

>> No.13364484

>>13364467
>A religion that allows you to follow other paths leaves you more opportunities to achieve spiritual fulfillement, while reducing the risk of damnation.
It’s very simple. Religion A is exclusive, while religions B-W are not. X, Y, and Z are dismissed for simple reasons. Follow A, and you can win even if all the non-exclusive religions are true (but if they’re true, that also means you’re fine). But follow religions B-W when A is true, and you’re screwed. I don’t know how you’re seriously objecting to this. It’s not as if the Bible isn’t full of spiritual wisdom and practical advice.
>but by the same token you could say the more a religion affirms something positive about God the more dubious it is).
not if that wisdom is given to us by God

>> No.13364489

>>13364482
>you think people go "hmmm...I guess he's right". They don't. Ever.
Actually, some do. I was once an agnostic atheist. See >>13364428
Atheists don’t believe because they don’t want to believe. They mistakenly think that you can believe without faith.
>>13364483
stop embarrassing yourself

>> No.13364498

>>13364489
>I was once an agnostic atheist
You mean you went through an edgy teenager phase and went right back to being a god botherer when you grew up because your parents were god bods.

>> No.13364502

>>13364482
>That you're of no use to me because you're just spamming my thread with retarded bullshit
>”I see no reason to live”
but also
>”stop trying to give me a reason to live!”

All belief rests on faith, anon. Have faith in God.

>> No.13364504

>>13364498
>because your parents were god bods.
What? I lived with a single mom who never went to church or even read the Bible. If she’s even Christian, she’s not a good one. I was never told to go to church or asked about my beliefs. Since I was 12, I’m pretty sure all my family members just assumed I was an atheist and never bothered me about it. I never knew anything about Christianity or the Bible. That’s probably the reason I rejected it so strongly at first. It was through reading Pascal in college that I finally started to see the light

>> No.13364521

>>13364430
1 John 2:15
>Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.
Romans 12:2
>Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Mark 8:36
>What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
John 16:33
>I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

>> No.13364598

>>13364413
>argument from contingency
This is a raw error of expectation, namely that one expects physical systems to be complete and thereby needs an supernatural editor to constantly renegotiate new editions of reality (nearer to being internally closed).
>argument from desire
For shame, Anon.
>ontological argument
You realize that this is the agnostic-acosmist trap, right?
>argument from absurdity
Viciously wrong. If there were a god, then the world would meaningless (ala Job if god were a bit better wirtten). That is, the world functions as though God exists.

>> No.13364616
File: 404 KB, 540x354, 11314.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>posts his feels
>immediately mogged by christfags
Sorry OP. Philosophy sort of helps me. Just ruminating on existence, it never eases the angst but it does give an outlet for it.

>> No.13364623

>>13364441
spoken like a true npc

>> No.13364625

>>13364598
>namely that one expects physical systems to be complete and thereby needs an supernatural editor to constantly renegotiate new editions of reality (nearer to being internally closed).
How does the argument from contingency imply any of this?
>For shame, Anon.
It’s a good argument for belief. If there’s a desire for belief, then we should satisfy it, all the while losing nothing but our pride. And of course, it fits in with the idea that God created us to desire Him.
>You realize that this is the agnostic-acosmist trap, right?
Please, explain.
>If there were a god, then the world would meaningless (ala Job if god were a bit better wirtten). That is, the world functions as though God exists.
Again, I don’t get your meaning. I don’t see how the world could be any more meaningful than if God exists. Everything is made by God and for God. We exist to glorify Him and through this path we can attain salvation, peace, etc. We are focusing our eyes the transcendent, perfect, creator of our existence. There is nothing more meaningful than this.

And again, as I said in the OP, none of these reasons alone, or together, are meant to prove God’s existence. They only exist to show that we can imagine that God’s existence can be reasonable. So ontologically, God is much beyond invisible unicorns and Russel’s teapot. We must have faith and reason.

>> No.13364627

>>13364521
Theres no after life

>> No.13364638

>>13364627
You have faith in that belief, I have faith in mine

>> No.13364649

Good life is an exception. Most people live in a constant state of tension between few moments of release. I've had my share of delusions, but after a sober look, it's all so unsatisfactory. All I want now is to become comfiness embodied.

>> No.13364651

>>13364623
here’s your upvote kind sir