[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 175 KB, 598x803, t1AlMD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13341103 No.13341103 [Reply] [Original]

where did guenon learn all this shit? i mean obviously he studied sacred texts n shit but where did he learn to think like this and receive his "spiritual qualifications" as mentioned in pic related. Can I gain this knowledge in the same way he did by reading the same things or is this knowledge now closed off to me since we are now further into the Kali Yuga and traditional knowledge is further blocked off. guenon mentions that some of his contemporaries dont even know the difference between the spirit and the soul, which I dont but he never explains where to gain said information. he also mentions the many pitfalls of modern neo spirituality but offers no guidance on how to avoid them. Does other books by the big g or maybe evola make this shit more clear? so far i've only read intro to hinduism and crisis of the modern world but it seems like his other books just go more autisticly in depth without starting from the basics of true spirituality.

>> No.13341141

>>13341103
Spirituality isn’t learned with reading dipshit, you can come to the same conclusions everyone else has come to by looking within yourself, work your way up to deep meditation and grasp the truth from inside

>> No.13341142

>>13341103
an aphorism from Mundus Millennialis:

>"AN INDIVIDUAL CAN SEE MORE, DEEPER, AND MORE DEEPLY, FROM BEYOND, THAN A MULTITUDE DOES FROM WITHIN"

>> No.13341144

He read da Vinci

>> No.13341145

He's the robert johnson of religious doctrines

He disappeared at 20 years old, only to come back with extensive knowledge of tradition 2 years later. Nobody knows where or how he acquired such an immense sum of initiatic knowledge.

>> No.13341157
File: 2.31 MB, 1134x820, 1554779677598.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13341103
>where did guenon learn all this shit?
Aside from all the mystic/metaphysical literature he studied in his own time he was initiated into the Shadhili Sufi order. It has also been speculated by various authors/biographers that he came into contact with and was initiated by Hindus of an Advaitic lineage while living in Paris, because from a very early age in his 20's already in some of his articles that he published in journals before his first book he demonstrates an exceptional understanding of Vedanta.
>Can I gain this knowledge in the same way he did by reading the same things or is this knowledge now closed off to me since we are now further into the Kali Yuga and traditional knowledge is further blocked off.
First off it's a mistake to accept everything he writes as gospel so you shouldn't take all this stuff extremely literally, Guenon himself even wrote about how some of this stuff borders onto the metaphoric and symbolic sometime. To the extent that he gained some of that knowledge from esoteric initiation which may not be available to you at the moment, yes some of that may remain inaccessible. However you can get a lot of it from studying the same texts and writings as him. Guenon heavily bases himself in Advaita Vedanta so if you really want to fully understand where he is coming from the best thing is to read Adi Shankara's commentaries, which have all been translated, reading Ibn Arabi's works would help you understand him as well but are less central to his thought than Shankara's.
>guenon mentions that some of his contemporaries dont even know the difference between the spirit and the soul, which I dont but he never explains where to gain said information.
Typically in these cases it's a reference to how they depart from the traditional Vedantic understanding, which often but not always has numerous correspondences with Sufism, Taoism etc; here I would assume he is talking about the Atma vs. the subtle body or the Atma vs. the vital force.
>he also mentions the many pitfalls of modern neo spirituality but offers no guidance on how to avoid them. Does other books by the big g or maybe evola make this shit more clear?
Just study the main writings and texts from the actual spiritual traditions and ignore anything modern that's not a book about those spiritual traditions that you are only reading so that you'll understand them and their literature better, do this and you won't have any interaction with neospirituality.
>o far i've only read intro to hinduism and crisis of the modern world but it seems like his other books just go more autisticly in depth without starting from the basics of true spirituality.
If by *true spirituality* you mean his metaphysics which might be regarded as spiritual, that's because he first only goes deep into metaphysics in his 'Man and His Becoming' and then follows that up in 'Symbolism of the Cross' and 'Multiple States'

>> No.13341210

>>13341103
Is this the place to start with Guenon?

>> No.13341231
File: 3.81 MB, 6161x5009, 1531605382277.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13341210
no, start with 'Intro to Hindu Doctrines', from there if you are curious about his metaphysics read 'Man and His Becoming', 'Symbolism of the Cross' 'Multiple States' and 'Symbols of Sacred Science' in that order. If you are more interested in his societal/cultural critique then after reading 'Intro' read 'East and West', 'Crisis of the Modern World' and 'Reign of Quantity' in that order. This chart gets it mostly right but is not perfect

>> No.13341239

>>13341231
OKay how about if I don't want to spend a year studying this guy?

>> No.13341244

>he doesn't know about the secret initiation rites

>> No.13341245

He pulls a lot of shit out of his ass. You can't expect more from a guy who thinks truth can only be intuited or felt.

>> No.13341247

>>13341142
shill

>> No.13341279

>>13341239
You can either understand by reading his books or you can not understand him by not reading his books
>>13341245
he never said that, only that logic had its limits and was not the final arbiter of truth/reality; some things and understandings requiring going beyond it

>> No.13341395

>>13341279
bruh I just want one or two of his works that will give me a good idea of his thought. I got alot to do

>> No.13341404

>>13341103
Spirit is Mind, ya dunce!

>> No.13341432

>>13341103
>where did guenon learn all this shit?
he made it up

>> No.13341500

>>13341395
Then after 'Intro to Hindu Doctrines' read 'Man and His Becoming According to the Vedanta' and 'Crisis of the Modern World'

>> No.13341504

>>13341432
wrong

>> No.13341532

Start with the rishis

>> No.13341552

We arent in the Kali Yuga

>> No.13341590

>>13341532
Theosophists fuck off

>> No.13341603
File: 43 KB, 317x450, Saptarishis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13341590
Not that guy, but he could just be an Indian poster referring to the Vedic seers and their texts, the Upanishads

>> No.13341715

> receive his "spiritual qualifications"
Nowhere does Guenon make some pompous statement that he has prophetic spiritual qualifications. He is writing from a completely impersonal perspective and nowhere talks about his personal life. Stop trying to imply that just because one espouses elitism that they necessarily have their ego to declare themselves as one of the elite.

>the basics of true spirituality
Spirituality is based on metaphysics. Read his metaphysical works. You won't like this answer since they are his most technical works, but that's where the basis of all his thought arises from.

>> No.13342310

Does Guenon ever give practical advice?