[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.24 MB, 800x675, universe-and-man-larger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13305631 No.13305631 [Reply] [Original]

For casual discussion of literature and other things

>> No.13305643

does the concept of other universes just stem from people fantasizing about missed opportunities, alternate possibilities, e.t.c.

>> No.13305649
File: 157 KB, 1125x1794, women4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.13305663

>>13305643
Probably just the idea that things could have gone differently in any situation, doesn't seem like regret or longing is necessary for the idea

>> No.13305699

I'm trying to make a Deconstruction core chart but don't know where to start

>> No.13305813

what if were just being bombarded with random phenomena and weve developed a complex enough framework to normalize completely random chaos

>> No.13305846

>>13305649
I've seen more than one version of this.

>> No.13305870

Looking up at the night sky is truly what they mean by "lost in the sauce".

>> No.13305872

This weekend I did something in my field of interest with other people. I will consider that a successful weekend.

>> No.13305918
File: 90 KB, 840x578, 1559818348188.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There would be much less animosity if feminists admitted that men don't have easier lives than women and in fact have to deal with much more toil and social ostracization than the average women. I feel like I'm hitting my head against the wall whenever I talk to them. You can just look at their bodies and tell how easy their lives have been. No calluses, no slouching, good skin, not balding, dull eyes. I'm not a misogynist, but goddamn, they make it hard sometimes

>> No.13305925

i wish my parents never broke up

>> No.13305927

>>13305925
Same. Fucked me up big time.

>> No.13305952

Fancy a story of God's and gamblers

>> No.13305972

>>13305631
Yilo Minneapolis was feeling particularly thirsty,

"The Belveder vodka, Mowbarry. It's right on the cabinet. I'm VERY thirsty Mowbarry, so won't you be a dear?"

Mowbarry was drooling and hyperventilating in his usual garrish way.

"Yesh my little Yilo... hyehsss my little pretty..."

Mowbarry staggered over to the cabinet and poured Yilo's vodka in a champagne flute. Yilo took a swig and in the dark dreary night his mind was curious.

"What was it like when you were a lad Mowbarry, were as many people enlightened?"

"Ahhh... not as far... as I can recall. It was all very much the same before the Regency. People had the same usual rot in them. God and country and all that. It's all rot. Closed-minded bastards could never underdstand the art of buggery! Damn them and their holy cows!"

Mowbarry sat back and continued to heave and huff, his mind recalling the shame and disgrace he endured in his youth.

"Oh Mowbarry, you bloody old Queen! You get so fed up on old guff."

Mowbarry poured himself the same and looked back at Yilo.

"Now I have you my little lovely. You have the softest buttocks I've ever had the pleasure to thrush. You have the softness of youth, but I wish you'd keep your hair natural."

"Figgy preferred the platinum blonde, and I think he was quite right. Humph."

"But I am still a bishop." Mowbarry said as he sipped his vodka

"If those society logs infer anything by our company... let them Mowie!" Blurted Yilo

Yilo reached in Mowbarry's pants and acquainted Mowbarry with his expert fellatio. To a rotter, fellatio is just sucking, but Yilo knew the symphony of technique to give maximal pleasure.

"You've got the besht damn shuck! Fuck me!" Exclaimed Mowbarry

>> No.13305975

>>13305972
After the sex Mowbarry revealed a vial.
"You know what thish is, don't you?"

Yilo looked close at the vial
"I haven't a stinking clue."

"This is Coca Cociana, from Peru. The heavenly crystal. It shines like the diamond on a diadem. It will be the diamond of your tiara my little lovey."

Mowbarry dusted a little on the back of his hand
"Here, have some"

Yilo began erotically licking bits of cocaine off Mowbarry's hand

"Ooooh... ooooooh. You're doing it just right young Yilo. You've got it. You know just how this goes you plump little rose. Have you done it before?"

Yilo rose his head wipping the cocaine off his hands and nose.
"Not at all... I'm... ooo... I'm feeling it."

They hugged eachother and reclined in bed in the spooning position

"It IS absolutely heavenly my dark Bishop."

Mowbarry took a little cocaine himself and the kissing and the petting began again.

"AGAIN! Again. I've blown twice and I'm ready to explode again. Now on your belly. ON YOUR BACK, BOY!"

"I've never seen you like this Mowbarry!" Yilo laid on his back. Mowbarry, a 69 year old, exhibited the estatic bullish verile power of a far younger man on Yilo's nubile belly. He was harder than diamonds and he and Yilo were both getting off without penetration. Cocaine and flesh were made one and for Yilo it felt like a baptism of cocaine when Mowbarry's hot ejaculate landed perfectly on his belly.

>> No.13306006
File: 48 KB, 900x512, oswald-spengler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13305972
>>13305975
Mein Gott!

>> No.13306145
File: 514 KB, 760x1281, Ernest_Hemingway_in_Milan_1918_retouched_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a weird mole on my inner ass cheek that I should probably get removed but I don't want the doctor to spread my ass cheeks It sounds awkward.

>> No.13306155
File: 32 KB, 338x450, huey_traveling_salesman_lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13306145
Ernest was such a cutie

>> No.13306643

>>13305918
I agree

>> No.13306684

>>13305631
To those who know the meaning of "kuyashii", that is what I am feeling right now. I hate this feeling of being unable to help those who tell me things.

>> No.13307919

I wake up another morning. Alone

>> No.13308100
File: 118 KB, 500x396, 909.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only things I'm capable of feeling without effort are frustration, anger, hate, and disgust. With effort and with some trickery, I can feel manic obsessive passion for the stuff I'm supposed to be doing, but it requires caffeine and constant management to make sure I don't just slouch back into staring at a wall and being vaguely irritable. And even the manic passion mode is still sort of "frustration," it's just making my frustration productive.

The only moments of real joy I have are when I create something real and important, but now the stakes for creating that something are so high that I will probably suffer in this shitty neurotic state for another half a decade before I get to feel even one triumphant moment of achievement when I finally complete something, and that moment will be smothered and jaundiced by years of secretly suspecting that it won't be worth all the trouble in the end. Somehow I know the feeling itself won't be a payoff that's actually worth all the patience and build-up. If I do even make it to that point, I'll just finish it, have one moment of "I guess I'm happy, sorta?" that still leaves me feeling hollow and cold inside, and start a new project immediately.

>> No.13308119

>>13305649
Kek, the guy somewhat deserved it. Seems like an over-socialized bug man

>> No.13308133

>>13305918
Why do you want to rationalize with women and have them understand you?

>> No.13308145
File: 56 KB, 720x445, 1558810913067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Was forced to go to Walmart today. Almost every customer had some sort of physical deformity. Weak jaws, morbid obesity, obvious meth use, distasteful makeup, autism glasses. Every race and religion, all buying artificially cheap Chinese crap and displacing local businesses. Legitimately horrifying. I despise everything it stands for

>> No.13309388

>>13308133
Who wouldn't want to be understood?

>> No.13309429

I'm trying to do nofap to better myself in many respects but I'm not even sure it's worth it. Just being comfortable with myself seems like it's the only real benefit I get from it, and I feel that I don't even need to abstain from masturbation to attain that anymore.

>> No.13310117
File: 40 KB, 825x464, blade-runner-2049.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's night and raining outside in my city, with few people around due to being on vacation. Just went to buy some groceries wearing my finest overcoat, felt like I was Goose or Ford in Blade Runner. For once I've felt badass in my life.

>> No.13310121

>>13310117
Nice

>> No.13311117

>>13309429
I feel like nofap is bro science

>> No.13311203

I had a horrific dream in which a young girl was sold out by her uncle to a cult, who proceeded to rape her and dismember her. The cult leader was also a young girl who finished her off by scooping out her eyes and eating them. It was presented as black and white like a manga but with photo-realistic quality. I could see every contour of the girl's horrified face as her eye sockets were emptied.

I would describe this dream as "based and redpilled."

>> No.13311229

>>13305631
I'm becoming Kakfa's visions of his world. I travel for work. Every Monday and Thursday I'm on a plane to the same suburban, master-planned hellscape of Texan concrete. I'm not sure if the under oyxgenated metal tube, sleep deprivation, lack of nutrition, or fleetingness of the constant motion that makes my mind feel gummed up, or if it's my sudden integration into being a worker drone that killed some of my inner creativity. I feel like a spawn. An empty husked out wastoid of quantifiable nothingness, a blinking cell in Excel. I oscillate between sheer ecstasy and pure agony of the job. Blowing thousands of dollars on dinners and then having muscle spasms on the flight home from being hunched over a desk all day.

>> No.13311396

There is something missing from my life. I am perpetually, willingly, distracted with my attention and energies divided between so many things. There is no depth or sophistication. I am near 30 and I am nothing. Nothing good. So much time devoted to work. Since graduating I've been underemployed, underpaid, and I haven't traveled or achieved anything. I don't believe in anything, it's all sarcasm and layer upon layer of irony. I haven't learned a second language, or done any serious self study. Just a few books here and there. I feel like I've merely existed in a way so as to minimally disturb others. I pay my own rent, buy my own food, and so on. I've lived a life that is comfortable enough so I can continue to glide through it with minimal suffering, but also, and more importantly, zero satisfaction.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I originally wrote a modified version of the above in my journal but I just don't know what to do and I need guidance. Do I quite working, spend my savings on a trip somewhere? Is there any satisfaction to that? I feel like I could spend a lot of time walking around the narrow streets of medieval cities in Europe. But that is just a conceit.

>> No.13311406

>>13311396
I have found no greater activity with no greater depth than to undertake writing and research with serious gusto. To build the philosophical underpinnings of a world, then the characters within it and try to synthesize something new out of it is an unending challenge. The body is limited, earth is now limited and defined, but the mind is free to wander endlessly.

>> No.13311428

>>13311117
Pretty much. But it makes your life better thats what matters.

>> No.13311438
File: 123 KB, 886x960, 1559599973022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Life is bearable as long as I don't think about my future at all. My particular situation is precarious. I love on a religious commune in the midwest with my parents, born and raised. It's most similar to the Jehovah's Witnesses out of all the Christian denominations I've ever heard of. Everyone I've ever known has been a member. The commune is Christian, but nothing special, the theology is honestly filled with holes and can only survive do to it's isolation. basically, there is no way to advance in life without getting deeper into the church: you can't have your own place without being married, you can't pick your job, you can't go to college to any real extent unless it's required of you, you can't be in a serious relationship or get married without an elders permission. You have to conform or you can't really do anything worthwhile. I don't believe in the religion anymore but I'm still very much attached to my family and friends in the church. If I leave, they have to shun me. I feel like I'm trapped.

I always fantasize about being someone else. I'll research another way of living for months and become obsessed with it: researching all of the different jobs in the army and what requirements you need to get them, finding the path to become a national park ranger, or finding the lowest rent cities on the west coast and which Greyhound route you would take to get to them. I even thought that all my problems were caused by gender dysphoria and started privately crossdressing and tried to order hormones online (a very dark time in my life). I don't know what to do with my life but it feels good to get it off of my chest

>> No.13311447

>>13311396
If that can make you feel better, I feel similar to you despite being three years into my mathematics PhD, nearly triligual, having seen half a dozen European capitals and memorized over five thousand verses.

My advice would be do your own stuff. Live on your own terms, you may have to finance yourself with some shitty gigs but it will be worth it if it pays for a work you care about.

Do as >>13311406 says, but it isn't limited to writing. Could be photography, painting, marine biology, whatever. Try stuff and see what you like. Don't wait until you're "ready", you never will. Just start experimeting. Today.

>> No.13311451

>>13311438
I feel you bro, but I would say ultimately going about the rest of the world to enter the cycle of wage and hedonism is not fulfilling in the long run even if it appears completely novel. You should talk privately about your concerns with those whose confidence you trust, or those who you think are also doubting. If you can form a trusting community within your commune of different ideation than you can both enjoy the social benefits of accessible marriage and homogeneous society while having people who actually agree with you and are reliable. If you are betrayed it is no great loss because you wanted to leave anyways but many would kill to get a homogeneous community where everyone isn't smoking weed or cutting off their penis so I wouldn't give it up so readily.

>> No.13311479

This whole Iran tanker episode has me curious. It's so obviously a US backed black op it's almost funny. It's like they don't even try to hide it any more or conjure up a veneer of plausibility like they did with the WMDs in Iraq narrative.

Why would Iran bomb a Japanese tanker while meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister in an attempt to improve relations? Why did the crew of one of ships report that the explosion was caused by a flying object, and not a limpet mine?attached to the hull In what universe would Iran act aggressively, knowing full well it is isolated and hemmed in by powerful enemies?

The US military industrial complex has been testing various battle field scenarios. It flirted with North Korea, Venezuela, but now seems to be settling on Iran. It has even gone to the lengths of fabricating a pretext. You don't invest more in military spending than ever before in history and not go making use of it. Something bad is about to happen.

>> No.13311502
File: 1.27 MB, 900x675, 1558392685846.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13311479
Look up the Lavon affair and the USS Liberty attacks. Israeli false flag attacks on American targets are not unprecedented. Israel has much more to gain in an Iran-America war than than America does

>Inb4 anti-semite neo nazi

>> No.13311526

>>13311451
I'm not thinking about leaving to be a hedonist. I just want a house that I can't get kicked out of for getting on the pastor's bad side and not have to marry one of the (literally) 20 women within five years on both end of my age on the commune.

>> No.13311546

>>13311526
Well than follow in the foot steps of the good Martin Luther and agitate any fellows who feel the eclesiastic control of your specific housing in the commune is tyrannical and overthrow the community to turn it into something more godly. I assume Jehovah's Witness use the older parts of the bible, just read up on the reformation and use the same arguments to argue for the self determination of the family even within a commune.

>> No.13311564

>>13311546
That just not how it works. They've made up their minds long ago. It's much more about tribalism than biblical truth at this point, the prophets word overrides the Bible or something like that. Plus, they have whatever dirt you tell them in confession. It's just not a battle you can win.

>> No.13311600

>>13311564
Oh boo hoo, your pastor might kick you out, Luther read the bible and risked getting brutally burnt to death multiple times just because he was upset that some specific parts weren't very scriptural and didn't have a good communion with God. Although I suspect in any case you would probably be better off finding a less wacky church than the Jehovah's.

>> No.13311634

>>13311600
Not everyone is willing to cut ties with everyone they've ever known to prove a point like some German autist did. I'm not Christian, I don't have a dog in this game. I just want to have a stable and safe environment to raise children in

>> No.13311686

>>13311634
Well clearly your environment is neither stable nor safe so you must abscond to a better one.

>> No.13311707

>>13311406
Can you elaborate on this?

>>13311447
I have been trying different things recently. I have savings so I always sign up for these stupid workshops that are always overpriced. They are usually fun and interesting, but I'm always upset by the price of it. I feel like I am getting ripped off with every financial transaction I make.

>> No.13311722

>>13305918
why is there a pic of kierkegaard and a quote from schopenhauer?

>> No.13311724

>>13311707
I finished my degree but realized in all my years of schooling I had not learned a single guiding ethic or moral, and was thoroughly uninterested in guttural pleasures. So I slummed around reading philosopher after philosopher reforming my thought many times before settling on a mixture of a few I enjoyed. The conclusion I came to is that brutal determinism is mostly right, but the mind is free, and this is because of the inexhaustible nature of it in conjunction with language.

So previously despairing at this or that social ill, or worldly restriction, or the death of some historical community or lifestyle I found less relevant because truly the only thing we were free in was our thoughts. And I thought it great that no matter how hard I tried to exhaust them for an entire life time, there would always be more to learn, more to combine, to create or postulate when it came to words and imagination.

I had first read Seneca and dismissed out of hand his calling to the literary lifestyle as the forward path but after reading many others I proved him correct.

>> No.13311742

tfw insane

>> No.13311779

>>13311722
The quote is from Kierkegaard

>> No.13313252

Bump

>> No.13313298

Does anybody give a shit about poetry anymore? You go to a bookstore, the section for poetry is a sliver. The most you can earn for winning any poetry contest anywhere is $1000 and the majority have fees just to enter.

No open mics anymore. If you see an ad for a open mic, it's 100% comedy and not poetry. Most people can't even name a living poet anymore.

WTF happened? I know people think poetry is out of touch or whatever but damn. It never used to be this bad.

>> No.13313305

eating a very nice home-made chilli
mayo is actually a good topping :)
i haven't been reading a lot recently, but i'd like to start reading at least 20 minutes a day to build the habit back up

>> No.13313321

I ate Chinese food on Saturday and I'm shitting pretty hard right now. That aside, I am struggling with identity and creativity. Well, more of a lack of motivation when it comes to creativity. I have stuff I want to do but I don't do them. When it comes to identity I just don't know who I am. I'm 28. I think I should have figured it out by now. Am I even who I display to the world? I'm a quiet guy in most situations despite wanting to take part in fun and merriment. When it's happening, though, I'm basically on the sidelines. People are acting bombastically and silly and I just remain stoic. Not even my words. I am having an okay time, though. I enjoy spending the time with the people having the fun but I don't show it, I guess?

The other day someone told me that they value my silence but this person also knows I can laugh and have a good time and be quite talkative on the right subject. I guess I just feel like I'm playing at stoicism without even intending to but it's also my default state. It doesn't make sense to me.

>> No.13313322

>>13311396
Unironically try psychedelics. If you're not willing, or think I'm memeing, at least read people's descriptions of how their life changed after psychs.

>> No.13313565

>>13313298
Poetry was invented to remember grand ideas in a small format, it was never meant to last. Now that information is consumed differently, the medium of poetry can only exist on its merits as an art-form, which is relatively shallow compared to other literature.

>> No.13313577
File: 736 KB, 683x1168, Anime_girl_render_47_by_notsocreativ-dbc5ebv-0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I bought Thus spoke Zarathustra but was told I shouldn't read it first from Nietzsche. What should I read first to understand it? From Nietzsche or not

>> No.13313606

I want to spoon with my gf again. Pretty much every other night in bed I get a very vivid memory of the feeling, how perfectly her body nestles into mine, how she subconsciously grinds her ass into my crotch in her sleep. Long distance fucking sucks. Only two more weeks to go, at least

>> No.13313706
File: 853 KB, 1069x1200, 70313892_p0_master1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Should I give up reading in my native language in favor of English? Last book I read translated was Lolita and I feel like I missed out terribly since the work was butchered by the process of translation. I completely hated it even though everything led me to believe I'd love it.

Usually Russian translations are fine or even better than English because there's a much bigger chance that certain words have direct counterparts in Polish. Now, I'm slowly getting into Nietzche and it seems like the translations I have access to were written a century ago and read more like a caricature of the original.

So, /lit/ should I drop reading in my native language?

>> No.13313909

Im back on the writing wagon again. words still aren't flowing easily or humorously, but Im going to keep trying.

ive written well before, and my first novel was amazing. my only problem is replicating my success which has so far proved difficult if not impossible

>> No.13313926

>>13313565

Why do you consider poetry shallow compared to other literature?

Genuinely curious. Is it the length of the format you think, or the pretentiousness people associate with it?

>> No.13313991

>>13313298
Maybe because every fucking poetry competition now is just a front for progressive virtue signaling.

Lefties killed poetry

>> No.13314000

>>13311396
Don't go to Europe, you're about 20 years late... It's not Europe anymore.

>> No.13314002

>>13313577
Nietzsche is hard to understand and thus spoke Zarathustra is indeed a terrible choice to read if you want to get start with him. Since the book is a satire work of the bible it is intentionally exaggerated written.
You should start with Ecce homo, at least that is my opinion. Maybe even start by reading secondary literatur of him. One last thing what Nietzsche writes isn't necessarly what he thinks. He just introduces extrem concepts jsut to make you think. It is easy to believe Nietzsche was an early influencer of fascism, but I believe that you will eventually know better Anon.

>> No.13314597

>work from home
>haven't actually done anything in two weeks
>don't even really remember what I was supposed to be doing in the first place
>currently writing this post instead of doing anything about it
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

also I really just want one (1) friend, I'm very lonely and don't even enjoy online communities such as this anymore.

>> No.13315123

>>13313991

>lefties

Shut the fuck up, American. They're called liberals. They're not "leftists."

>> No.13315210

>>13314000
European countries, even the most cucked ones, are still whiter than America

>> No.13315226

>>13308119
Hahahaha I knew someone would get around to adopting the Uncle autism's "I'm socially awkward and dysfunctional" terminology. Please keep it up

>> No.13315335

It's one of those
>coworker brings up abortion in the office IRC channel
days

>> No.13315384

>>13315335
why are people chatting about non-work things in the office IRC?
why are people chatting to their coworkers at all?

>> No.13315400

>>13315384
they just shared a screenshot of them on the donation page for planned parenthood unsolicited

>> No.13316029

>>13315400
I would have replied "based and redpilled!"

>> No.13316198

>>13311707
Not the anon you responded to but I took a few classes in a local adult night school here in NJ. I don’t know where you live but there are a few towns that run night classes for a bunch of things either through libraries or high schools and they are fairly cheap. The writing motivation class I took was like $80 for four sessions and it was helpful and fun. Nothing ground breaking but a break from the norm and also helped me with my will to organize and start writing again. Hope you have something like that near you

>> No.13316228
File: 54 KB, 535x462, CMXIhdI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13313706
>czytanie młodopolskich tłumaczeń Nietzschego

>> No.13316246

>>13313909
What kind of novel did you write? What’s the general synopsis and did you get published?

I wrote like 45 pages of a novel that I want to get back to but fell off from writing for a while. I think I was kind of scared to be honest but I know I have some things to say about this world and want to put it down. I have some good ideas as well for other projects so I feel like I owe it to myself to do it. Gonna go start on a short story I’ve been thinking about for years now. I have a few angles I can go at it from but I can always revise it later.

>> No.13316375

What lead the online left to decide that the dignity of the mentally retarded was the hill they were going to die on? Using "retard" as an insult is not a slippery slope to gassing the mentally infirm and disabled, what the fuck. Same with the obsession over trans people, why is so much energy directed at an absolute minuscule minority of the population instead of at, uh, actually doing something to promote the interests of the working class. Is it residual liberalism that leads to this obsessive "wokeness" and idpol?

ahhhhhh why are things so shit

>> No.13316378

I've been debating getting on Facebook again. A silly thing to debate but still. I'm a little concerned about my privacy but chances are they already know everything about me and if I don't put a lot of information on there I'd feel better. It'd only be to interact with people in the same hobbies as me anyway so. Still debating. Thoughts?

>> No.13316400

>>13316378
does anyone even use facebook anymore? pretty sure instagram and snapchat are what's in right now.

>> No.13316408

>>13316400

Plenty of people do for communication within the stuff I do so that's why I'm considering it.

>> No.13316550

>>13314597
whats your job, anon?

>> No.13316599

>>13316378
Ahhh I hate facebook, but unfortunately it's useful. I stopped using in 2015, but recently got back to it because of uni. All my "friends" are there and professors have groups there etc so if I stop using is kinda like getting invisible for everybody. It sucks.

>> No.13317246

>>13316400
i thought snapchat was dead?

>> No.13318384

bump