[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 255x390, Theban_Plays.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1324683 No.1324683 [Reply] [Original]

I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question but I recently read The Theban Plays, and one thing kind of didn't make sence. I couldn't understand why Jocasta, the queen of Thebes, married Oedepus, considering the fact that at the time, she didn't, or rather, couldn't have known that her husband, the king, was dead.

From what I got, the one remaining bodyguard of the king, went back to Thebes, and upon seeing that the person, who murdered the king, is now married to the queen, asked from Jocasta to be set free, so he can leave and become a shepard.
I am so confused!!!

>> No.1324691

You just can't worry about the setup in greek tragedy. It will often make no rational sense. Call it conventions of the genre or what you will but critical response from the audience is seemingly supposed to be limited to the actual content and outcome of the play, not how the pieces are moved into position

>> No.1324698

I thought she did know?

>> No.1324703

So what? I just go with it?
I mean I enjoy greek tragedy as much as the next
guy and I, more or less see what Sophocles wanted to say but wouldn't a mistake such as
this one kind of kill the mood?

>> No.1324708

And no, she couldn't have known, assuming
the surviving bodyguard of the king went dirrectly to Thebes, which would make the most sence.The only alternitive would be that someone
else found and identified the king, arrived in
Thebes before the bodyguard, and told the queen
then. But one would assume that the guard went
straight to Thebes after the incident.

>> No.1324728
File: 28 KB, 346x450, 000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

On the one hand you are supposed to pay attention and read carefully, but on the other hand you probably shouldn't expect any story (especially that one) to be realistic.

>> No.1324762

>>1324728
Good point. Thanks.

>> No.1324791
File: 25 KB, 400x400, what the fuck am I reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1324728

>you probably shouldn't expect any story to be realistic