[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 292x450, 9780805209990.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13224777 No.13224777 [Reply] [Original]

What's your opinion on this book? Your interpretation, if there is one?

>> No.13224789

anyone know what's the cover of the book?

>> No.13224844

>>13224777
I've got a lot of nostalgia and love for it, but I think really the interpretation has to come down to the last chapter. You could literally have the first and the last, cut everything else, and the meaning wouldn't change. The whole body of the book is just there to enjoy between the lodestars of fatalism.

>> No.13225396

>>13224777
I think Kafka had an extremely dark humour, the book always seems highly comical and his other works do so as well.
I really enjoyed the chapter about the dome, where he was just sitting there, essentially talking to god, waiting for nothing but his inevitable death at the hands of fate.
'Wie ein Hund." (Like a dog) are the last words of this book and as with all last words, they do not signify a true end, just a sort of conclusion, a point where the author decides to be done. K, constantly being aware of his own inability to change his fate, seems surprised by the realization of his meaningless and undignified end. There is no big bang, the person in the window doesn't come to his rescue, nobody takes offense at his useless death; he dies like a dog on the street, no love, no attention, no purpose.

>> No.13225411

>>13224789
Peter Mendelsund for Schocken Library. 2 minutes of googling, I don't know why I spoon-feed a lazy bastard like you.

>> No.13225484

Reading it right now. It seems to me that Kafka is having a go at the absurdity of social mores and the various systems created around them. Living under them is to live with the feeling that the judgment of your actions are either ostensibly acquitted or indefinitely postponed.