[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 412 KB, 1359x2522, 3A8025BE-23D5-409A-803E-72893618E0C1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13204469 No.13204469 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on this one? Is it worth the read?

>> No.13204480

>>13204469
It is shit. The Secret History is a good time. The Goldfinch is your editor being afraid of you.

>> No.13204491

>>13204469

>Stephen King praised the novel, and called Tartt "an amazingly good writer."[6] In The New York Times, Michiko Kakutani pointed out what she saw as the novel's Dickensian elements, writing "Ms. Tartt has made Fabritius's bird the MacGuffin at the center of her glorious, Dickensian novel, a novel that pulls together all her remarkable storytelling talents into a rapturous, symphonic whole and reminds the reader of the immersive, stay-up-all-night pleasures of reading."[7] Woody Brown, writing in Art Voice, described The Goldfinch as a "marvelous, epic tale, one whose 773 beautiful pages say, in short: 'How can we? And yet, we do.'"[8]

>In mid-2014, Vanity Fair reported that the book had "some of the severest pans in memory from the country's most important critics and sparked a full-on debate in which the naysayers believe that nothing less is at stake than the future of reading itself".[3] James Wood, book critic for The New Yorker, argued that the novel's "tone, language, and story belong in children's literature".[3] The London Review of Books called The Goldfinch a "children's book" for adults.[3] The Sunday Times of London said "no amount of straining for high-flown uplift can disguise the fact that The Goldfinch is a turkey."[3] The Paris Review said: "A book like The Goldfinch doesn't undo any clichés—it deals in them."[3]

Who is in the right here?

>> No.13204502

>>13204469
Yes it’s a masterpiece too oft ignored in the same way The Recognitions was.

>> No.13204521

>>13204491
Cuz I just saw the trailer for the upcoming adaptation and can’t decide whether I should take the bait. The Last time I decided to read a book before its adaptation is out was Girl on a train and holy shit it was fucking awful. And King praised it too by the way. Does he praise literally everything?

>> No.13204544

>>13204521
>And King praised it too by the way. Does he praise literally everything?

I work in a bookstore and a library and notice he has critical blurbs on all kinds of books.

>> No.13204568

It does boy boy friendship with a slight tinge of homoeroticism pretty well for a gril.
The Russian kid is far and away the best character. Narrator’s pretty dull.
The dog was pretty cool too

>> No.13204814

>>13204502
>Yes it’s a masterpiece too oft ignored in the same way The Recognitions was.
I really liked the book but that's a bit too hyperbolic even for me.

>> No.13204859

To Serve as Mistress Tartt's live-in Lighthouse slave would almost certainly ruin all prior apex experiences and leave one grasping for what to do with one's remaining life should you ever know such rarity as Mistress Tartt's satisfaction, let alone her so sacred pleasure. Where do you go once you've known the sublime pleasures of living much of the day for years on end beneath her oak desk, or within a dog crate surrounded by the improvised masonry of Mistress Tartt's voraciously accumulated library, that comfort and security of knowing you served Mistress Tartt well, dusted her pens, prepared her paper and stationaries for the day's work, collating, grouping, folding where necessary, whichever tasks Mistress Tartt so generously entrusted to our completion, where you find such importance and meaning, I know not. One night's service may require one's mouth kept agape as wide and "chalice-like" as was possible, ready to receive Mistress' holy emictions, wavering not a millimeter from her subtly swaying fur, even as the moonlit gusts illuminated her chalky skin and blew sporadically the steam from her darjeeling-warmed ochoko cup in such beauty you wish you were permitted to speak, but Mistress made quite clear she could not stand any sound but her own monologue's reading or that of her character's conjured voices. Another, be it the memorial of an author or Saint or a date which possessed an irresistible numerologic significance, may find Mistress Tartt leading you by a leash in a stitched leather equine costume, including actual hooves warm upon the knees and elbows so as to affect the desired four-legged ambulation, going for a stroll in a park or a preserve in search of wood for a switch or else tubers and roots carved for sadistic and punitive suppositories.

>> No.13204879

It's glorified YA. Don't waste your time.

>>13204491

Is Dickensian just a pretentious name for bigass doorstopper?

>> No.13205024

>>13204491
Concise and well researched. I would just add that Tarrt rhymes with fart.

>> No.13205063

>>13204859
Try as one might to so regulate your emotional, psychic, adrenal and libidinal cycles, hoping for a manifested homeostasis where some preserve of your vanilla self might remain unsoiled by esoteric servility, Mistress Tartt is expert at dunking one in whichever Cambrian pantheon of reptilian desires or else pan-simian menagerie where therein your ego becomes edible to her, devoured by your howls, tears, accidental ejaculations and sputter-flecking begging, each invariably met with laughter or a wicked quip. Mistress Tartt always enjoyed sharing her observations of Female Bonobos, beings I've been strongly conditioned to always capitalize as if referring to royalty or high-titled persons. She reckoned the Female Bonobos reserved a highly special love, a deeper affection for any of the Bonobos, male or female but often male, that elected to serve as the gynocratic gangbang power structure's errand-ape, fetching fruit, bark, reserved insects or pieces of wood useful for sensual scratching and self-stimulation, while also serving the Bonoboan Bacchanal as a kind of hygiene referee, removing coitally-ejected feces mainly, but also helping keep away stinging insects and birds that might disturb the pansexual pile of great apes, flared swarthy labia and lumbering phalluses. She felt these Bonobos, the "toilet jockeys," and "inveterate perverts," to quote Mistress, we're revered as a kind of highly important caste, far from priestly but nearly that in the direction of the profane. She would whip or defecate or direct another Bantu or Masai phallus' virile explosion upon our tired, weary faces and so perk up our spirits by urging us to "Do as the Bonobo," a goal sometimes conveyed with a measure of sarcasm suggestive of the low mark of such a goal, Mistress Tartt confessing more than once after so balanced and equillibrated and liquor- disinhibited by her quotidian quests, exercises and achievements that she actually pities the Bonobos and certainly does not see them as a "spirit animal," and questioned the ridiculous origin of that entire line of inquiry, fancying herself moreso an angel sent to earth to stir anew the desire for the literary.

>> No.13205304

It's good but bloated. The book winning the Pulitzer Prize is just silly.

>> No.13206074

I knew Mistress Tartt for more than a year before ever seeing but a sliver beneath her ankle, her feet entirely a mystery to me, despite me having lived in her Lighthouse for the entirety of our time together. She had been in her "typing room" and was not to be disturbed until I sensed she might want something to eat or drink. Changing our afternoon tea time to three in the morning, I had been dutily at work jarring the fresh clotted cream, slicing fruit, assembling and slicing identical dimensions of sandwiches, and finally choosing a thematic selection of tea leaves distinct from yesterday's but not so unfamiliar as to invite Mistress Tartt's cruel inquiries as to my crude reasonings and idiotic intuition, her process of inquisition never failing to reduce me to blustery bashful sincerity and requiring time in one of her upright reading coffins in which I was frequently entombed the moment I invited displeasure or distaste, wherein I'd find clasped to the upholstered leather or velveteen-lined coffin lid's interior a book or clipped magazine article or torn journal page for my digestion. Rarely checking my reading comprehension, a failure on this front invited the worst of Mistress Tartt's punishments.

>> No.13206094

>>13206074
it's limp

>> No.13206196

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWOl0VNvBYE

>> No.13206207

>>13204491
the irony is that critics can get away with eviscerating Tartt and her middle-brow prose and ideas, but they would never dare to do the same for any of the PoC grievance novels that otherwise win Pulitzers, NBAs, etc. and are probably far worse

>> No.13206220

>>13204469
Pretty good, too much sex though.